corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Am i missing the point?? (your car choice)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Am i missing the point?? (your car choice)
Fonz
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   21st May 09 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am i missing the point of a soft top car???

I have bought a MX5 and enjoyed it immensely, i take the top down as often as i can enjoying the full driving experince of a two seat soft top sports car. the speed is great (although not breath taking) and the handling superb

in the past 3 days on my journey to and from work i have seen
MG B
MG T/TF x2
MX5 x4
Audi A3
Audi TT
and several others i cant recall with their tops up why might this be?

i am being to think that these drivers have the car as a "status symbol" rather than for its driving experience (and i dont get mean power/speed/handling i mean the topless bit)

are two seat soft top cars the sportier version of a Chelsea tractor?? these tractors aren't bought for their off road capabilities, or large boot space, high torque or ground clearance, just to "keep up with the Jones'" to show that they can rather than because their lifestyle suits it

i am beginning to think that the soft top car has gone the same way, not bought for its handling, or back to basics driving experience that was so well enjoyed in the 50s and 60s, and certainly not to get the top down and feel the wind in their hair, but simply as a status symbol

[/rant]
micra_pete
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think in general its a certain type of person buys a soft-top or a small coupe.

They have no interest in driving, more how they look.
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having owned soft tops in the past I always felt like a bit of a cock when I put the roof down.. I think a lot of people feel the same.
Rich7585

21st May 09 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its just cas your not getting any other topless action!

Surely if they were more interested in the look (as pete is, cas he cant drive) they want the top down all the time so you could see them.

sorry mate this is just toooooooo easy!!!!

[Edited on 21-05-2009 by Rich7585]
Marc

21st May 09 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its pissed it down here all week, dunno what the weather is like near you!
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Having owned soft tops in the past I always felt like a bit of a cock when I put the roof down.. I think a lot of people feel the same.

I've just realised that I may have implied that a lot of people think I'm a cock
Fonz
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete
I think in general its a certain type of person buys a soft-top or a small coupe.

They have no interest in driving, more how they look.

i dont disagree with the first bit at all, but like Rich said why if they have an interest in how they look do they have their tops up?? in my opinion it looks rediculous having a top up on beautiful day with the sun shining!

and Rich your not sorry, you enjoy it too much
Brett
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a bit of a "look at me" thing tbh. I find it hilarious when I see chumps with the top down and it's not even sunny and they have their jackets on. Idiots.

I'd have a soft top myself, but I'd never put the top down, I just like the look of them on certain cars like 3-series BMWs with a hard top on.
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On tuesday morning I saw a guy in a TT with the roof down and a woolly hat on.. When you see someone like that it normally means they have just bought it and the novelty hasnt worn off yet.
Ian W

21st May 09 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was off work at xmas I seen two lads in a soft top BMW with the roof down, looked rediculous as it was proper cold
Fonz
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it is dry i have the top down, yes the heater is on sometimes, and yes i wear long sleeves in the evenings but that is me. i am not doing it to be cool in the warm day but driving it for the experience i bought it for.

this still doesnt excuse those who buy the car and not use it with the top down. which is the same with a Chelsea tractor
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arent all soft-tops owners suffering from chelsea tractor syndrome in this country?? Surely you driving around with the top down all the time to justify your purchase is exactly the same as the brand new Range Rover owner deliberately driving offroad just for the hell of it?
micra_pete
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
It is a bit of a "look at me" thing tbh. I find it hilarious when I see chumps with the top down and it's not even sunny and they have their jackets on. Idiots.

I'd have a soft top myself, but I'd never put the top down, I just like the look of them on certain cars like 3-series BMWs with a hard top on.

Now, me personally, I would have the top down ALL the time not because of how it looks, buts that the point of why I would buy one.
Brett
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
if it is dry i have the top down, yes the heater is on sometimes, and yes i wear long sleeves in the evenings but that is me. i am not doing it to be cool in the warm day but driving it for the experience i bought it for.

That's hilarious tbh It'd be like me wearing a full rally-drivers outfit and helmet when I was going to work in my imprezas...."for the experience".

I don't understand this mentality of "it's there so I have to use it". Fair enough, if you want your top down in the sun then go for it, but in the cold with a jacket on and heaters blasting? Come on.

[Edited on 21-05-2009 by loafofbrett]
Fad

21st May 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wind noise is really bad also with Convertibles and when I had an MX5 for a couple of weeks it was sometimes cooler with the roof up and when I knew I was going via a motorway I would have it up otherwise I would look l've just been mugged when turning up to meetings
mattfiesta

21st May 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz

this still doesnt excuse those who buy the car and not use it with the top down. which is the same with a Chelsea tractor

if you need the heater on with long sleeves then the top shouldnt be down, sad act.

Soft tops are for attention seekers and thats all.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not just a pain in the arse to drop the top to drive to work?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
ed

21st May 09 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really wouldn't be calling an MG TF a status symbol.
ed

21st May 09 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I don't think you'd buy an A3 soft top for it's handling and back to basics driving experience.
micra_pete
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought anyone who bought something like an mx5 to "drive" would always have the top down.
Why on earth would you have the top up?
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I really wouldn't be calling an MG TF a status symbol.

Doesnt have to be a symbol of a high status its just a nice simple way of saying "I must be the last person left on earth who doesnt realise how shit a K-series engine is".
Brett
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
"I must be the last person left on earth who doesnt realise how shit a K-series engine is".

Nah, that was me with my Freelander mate. Pop!
DaveyLC

21st May 09 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bad-times when the K-series with Range Rovers "new and improved" gasket goes pop.
mwg

21st May 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw someone driving an MG TF when the sun was shining last week. He had all his windows down but the roof up. I did think whats the point in having it if you dont get the roof down when it was clearly the sort of weather for it.

I like the idea of them but I'd never put the roof down enough to justify it. Plus I'd feel like a pillock driving it with the roof down anywhere apart from in the countryside.
Ben G

21st May 09 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only ever really see mid life crisis berks with big sunglasses and fake tan on with their roofs down round here or really old people.

it's ore of a poser thing than to do with the actual driving experience so i guess the ones you saw were normal people who just wanted to ''blend in with the crowd''.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Am i missing the point?? (your car choice) 23 database queries in 0.1912971 seconds