corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network Storage help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network Storage help
Chrissy
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th May 09 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking for a hard disc or some sort of flash drive which could be plugged into a router via ethernet possibly? to act as a sort of middle man to handle shared files.

Ive found myself moving large folders between my desktop and two laptops and sometimes either of them are turned off.

Is there such a thing? What's it called? Anyone recommend one?

Cheers

>>>> Chris <<<<

oceansoul

16th May 09 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

network atached storage. NAS. Cant think of any off the top of my head, except the buffalo tetrastation i think its called (or summing similer) 1tb of storage. Just plugs into router via ethernet then u map the network drive in mycomputer
Chrissy
Premium Member

16th May 09 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome. Cheers dude!

>>>> Chris <<<<

drunkenfool

16th May 09 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are called NAS (Network Attached Storage), either enclosures to put in your own drives, or all in one units. Ive just bought this one for my network at home which accepts two SATA drives of any size (I got 2x 1TB)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-029-BT&utm_source=froogle

It supports ftp, RAID etc too. Quite easy to set up, but annoyingly you have to format the drives to get it to work so you gotta back up anything that you got first
XSIHardy

17th May 09 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"The integrated BitTorrent client downloads data from the internet without the hassle of leaving your PC on." that apeals to me very much
drunkenfool

17th May 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

built in ftp is useful too, you can store your documents on it then access them from any computer over the internet
oceansoul

17th May 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
network atached storage. NAS. Cant think of any off the top of my head, except the buffalo tetrastation i think its called (or summing similer) 1tb of storage. Just plugs into router via ethernet then u map the network drive in mycomputer

I think i was drunk when i posted this :/ dont remember doing so
drunkenfool

18th May 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did th exact same thing on fri nite in the thread about islam taking over the UK, I couldnt believe how much sense it made the next day
moka

18th May 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
they are called NAS (Network Attached Storage), either enclosures to put in your own drives, or all in one units. Ive just bought this one for my network at home which accepts two SATA drives of any size (I got 2x 1TB)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-029-BT&utm_source=froogle

It supports ftp, RAID etc too. Quite easy to set up, but annoyingly you have to format the drives to get it to work so you gotta back up anything that you got first

That's exactly what stopped me from getting one. The best thing to do would be to get a NAS enclosure, and chuck your drive full of your data in it and away you go.

But

Its not as easy as that as your drive will probably be FAT32 or NTFS... which is a windows based file system. The NAS will be running some sort of linux on it (to keep the cost down) which uses ext2/3 etc. The drives will need to be formatted to ext2/3 or whatever it is before they can actaully be read by the NAS... This means putting all the data on another drive, then formatting the drive, then putting the information back on it before chucking it into your NAS...

Then again you could find a nas that supports NTFS.. but they are generally more expensive!

And ive heard that NAS drives are not that fast...

[Edited on 18-05-2009 by moka]
moka

18th May 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

note : actually i do not advise 'chucking' it into your NAS.
noshua

18th May 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

icy boxes are the shit, brilliant build quality and never had a problem with them.

@moka - unless you've got a gbit nic - NAS drives are going to be quite slow (general home router being 100mbit, transfer speed at it's peak will be 12.5MB/s - where as gbit ones will be 125MB/s)
James_DT

18th May 09 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I think i was drunk when i posted this :/ dont remember doing so

One of the sites at work uses a Terastation, and it's a good piece of kit.
Here at home, we've got a 1TB Western Digital MyBook World Edition, which works superbly.
moka

19th May 09 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
icy boxes are the shit, brilliant build quality and never had a problem with them.

@moka - unless you've got a gbit nic - NAS drives are going to be quite slow (general home router being 100mbit, transfer speed at it's peak will be 12.5MB/s - where as gbit ones will be 125MB/s)

But if your on wireless, its gna be wank - something to think about

New Poll