corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Council land behind my garden/access.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Council land behind my garden/access.
Colin

User status: Offline
19th Apr 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arite

Im not liking having my car parked on the road anymore, too many kids & weirdo's about & I cant get a peacefull nights sleep with it sat on the road.

I cant get access from the front but from the back I maybe can as theres a lane which runs down the back of the houses. The only problem is that theres a strip of council owned/maintained grass which id need to drive over to get into my back garden.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what the implications would be if I was to butcher their grass a bit & maybe stick some slabs on it in order to give me a path onto my rear garden. Ive got a 6ft fence surrounding my property I plan to alter a bit & make a set of gates.

Im not going to apply for permission or anything as it seems too much hassle, Im just going to do it...........If I get asked to put it back I will.

Whats the chances of them getting a bit shitty over it? I dont think anyone would tell them, as the surrounding houses have access with drives & garages (although they have no grass to cross like I do) & I dont think the grass cutter dude would complain................im making his job easier!!

Think its a goer?

I'll get some pics up in the week to show what I mean!!
Bram

19th Apr 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like you say, give it a punt. It'll only be busy-body neighbours that'll say anything.
Andrew

19th Apr 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't do much damage when the grass is dry as long as you don't wheel spin it.

I've been reversing over some grass for the past 6 years and it's not done any damage. For the same reasons as you really, so i can keep the car where i can see it.

However, the grass belongs to my land so it doesn't really matter in this case

Unless someone complains, i can't see any reason why you can't do it. If you plan on staying in the property i'd get some sort of permission just to be on the safe side.
Colin

19th Apr 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be here another 2yrs max.

I just want somewhere off road t park the car at night. I meant to do it when I 1st put the fence in then decided id never use it (when I had the golf) but now ive got the M3 im paranoid somethings going to happen to in parked on the road.

Red x is my garden -

Can just see the strip of grass between the back fence & lane.

[Edited on 19-04-2009 by Colin]
Colin

19th Apr 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plans -

dotted line represents the council owned grass around the elec sub station.
Andrew

19th Apr 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just park there and see what comes of it if anything.

Just try your best not to pull up the grass.
Colin

19th Apr 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah i'll need to make a few changes so I dont ditch my car, make levels meet, put in a proper path etc. Otherwise im removing the danger of it getting it damaged while on the street & introducing a danger of me skelping the car trying to get it into the back garden. If im going to do it i dont want half a job!!
1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

19th Apr 09 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally i would just go ahead and do it aslong as its a decent job and pleasant to the eye which i guess you will do. The worst that could happen is they say take back your slabs and plant some seed
Colin

19th Apr 09 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah im going to do it, I think thats the worst that will happen if they are at all bothered by it. Cant see it being a big problem.
Jay

20th Apr 09 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing is if its an outside company doing the grass cutting, used to work for a company who cut grass for local councils and although it makes the cutters job easy, the company loses that plot, had what your planning on doing happen to us before and I dont think anything ever came of it, we just cut the bit that was left, so you will probably be ok, speaking from experience.
M2RTY

20th Apr 09 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there is no drop kerb, anyone can block your access if they park outside your gates and there is nothing you can do
a_j_mair

20th Apr 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should really be applying for a new access and road opening permit etc.

id just do it though, do it properly with drop kerbs and lift the grass and get it tared
Leighton

20th Apr 09 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willing to bet the only guy that knows that it is council land is the guy that cuts the grass, get it fenced in then in 7 years its all yours
Kathryn W

20th Apr 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't bother asking for permission or anything tbh..

Not unless someone from the council comes out quite often to maintain the area etc, but even so putting slabs down won't do much.. less of a job for them!

They'd just ask you to stop going there in the end..
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Apr 09 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might not cost a fortune to drop the kerb.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Colin

21st Apr 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Might not cost a fortune to drop the kerb.

DIY drop
deanmcreynolds26

22nd Apr 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bout £300 my dad paid to ge the kerb dropped few a yeas back mate,

to be honest i dont think they are gona check a lane and have a go at you for it, and i really dont see the grass cutter wanting to drop you in it, unless hes a jobsworth

i know where id want the m3 parked if i were you
micra_pete
Premium Member

27th Apr 09 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Potentially a £1k fine + cost for any damage, and their time.

Potentially.
AndyKent

27th Apr 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I certainly wouldn't fence the land in but would probably just go ahead and do it.

If the council ever came knocking you could always say that you are providing additional parking out the front by keeping your own car out the back thus helping the community.

If it wasn't for dropping the kerb in fact, the council wouldn't really have any comeback on you. If you drop the kerb, worst they would probably do is to charge you for putting the original kerbs back.
Edd

27th Apr 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wont be the council that mind it will be your neighbours who i guarantee will be fucking idiots

why not just park in the bays at the back it seems secluded enough
Edd

27th Apr 09 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after going and having a proper zoom in i say do it

one guy along the roads car is parked to the back so a precedent is already set

drop the kerb and level and your laughing
Edd

27th Apr 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kings+road+falkirk&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.771131,43.330078&ie=UTF8&ll=56.018778,-3.707267&spn=0.00034,0.001322&t=h&z=20

two houses along look like there doing it already

[Edited on 27-04-2009 by Edd]
Colin

29th Apr 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah few folk have access, one in particular has similar setup to what id be doing!!

Might be moving sooner now as me & er both got new jobs. Would seem a shame to rip a perfectly good fence down then move!!
dean101287

29th Apr 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my old house we had a slab put in at our front garden so that we didnt have to park on the street. Council came along about 3 years late and told us we cannot use the slab because the curb had not been lowered.

They can be moaning lttle cunts if they want to be so be caerfull. We had to pay for the curb to be lowered so that we could drive over the pavement to get to the slab.
sxibeast

1st May 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive currently got a decent sized bit of coucil land at the side of my house. Use it quite alot to park on, but unfortunately if it rains, it does churn it up abit (and especially when the gf parked the car there when it snowed and dug two massive trenchs in it trying to get back out)!

We havent had any problems with the council and the grass cutters dont seem to mind as long as the car is moved the next time so they can give it a trim!

Tempted to try and buy a portion of the land to build a garage for the cars, but fear MK council have a liking for their verges!

I say just do it though, they can only ask you to stop and maybe repair any damage caused

New Poll