corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broken External Hard Drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broken External Hard Drive
Andrew

User status: Offline
5th Apr 09 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my mates has given me a couple of external hard drives he has broke.

One clicks so assume that is fucked, but the other one sounds perfect and kind of works. Windows detects the new device but doesn't display a drive. When you go into Disk Management the PC just hangs untill you pull out the USB cable.

I've not touched anything like this before. Usually i'd just throw away the drive but he'd like them repaied if possible. No idea why, think he would rather piss money up the wall.

Anyone used any tools before?

As i cannot see a drive, chkdsk is no use.
James_DT

5th Apr 09 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a drive like that at work.
The drive passed all the diagnostics as healthy, but if you plugged it in as a second drive in a working machine, Windows crashed at boot. We connected it using a SATA to USB adapter and it would blue screen when you plugged it in even in safe mode. We fixed it in the end by booting a Knoppix Live! CD and running ntfsfix on the drive.
Run SeaTools or something similar on it to check it's healthy, and if it is, give Knoppix a shot.
Andrew

5th Apr 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chucked on ubuntu which will not read the drive, MacBook will not read the drive and Windows locks up all the time when the drive is plugged in. Even booted the machine off a CD running Partition Magic but that could not read the drive either.

Tried taking the drive out the caddy and connected it up via IDE. Couldn't access the MBR on my main drive then.

It's officially fucked

I'll test the caddy later this week with another IDE drive just to check that is ok before my mate purchases another drive.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th Apr 09 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check dmesg on Ubuntu when you plug the non clicking one in. Paste the output here (file->applications->terminal<enter> dmesg <enter> and we can have a gander.
moka

7th Apr 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even if you do get it working... i would never store stuff on it for fear of losing it!

New Poll