corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » BBC take control of 22,000 computers, show what it can do then help victims

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BBC take control of 22,000 computers, show what it can do then help victims
John

User status: Offline
13th Mar 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats me being shit with computers got to do with you talking out your arse?

How did you put a payload like that in a jpg to start with.

To my limited computing knowledge it's not until the past year or so that researchers have found a way to embed a virus actually inside a jpeg and not just change the file icon and make it open as a picture, and at 12 you knew enough to firstly do it and secondly outsmart the AV guys.

Using msn, when you were 16 msn wasn't that widespread, icq and aim were still mainly used iirc.

What was your super hacking website that managed to get higher up the list than other sites because you were a super hacker, did none of the other sites have guys that could do the same?

What you really done was get sub7 or the like and put a jpeg file icon as I originally said, not quite the same.
Dom

13th Mar 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think xa0s has been watching too much of

Dom

13th Mar 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John - hiding exe's in jpegs has been around a while and i know you could attach exe's to other exe's as i think it was an option in sub7.

good article on embedding zip/rar into a jpeg - http://www.scribd.com/doc/99864/How-to-Hide-Files-in-JPEG-Images
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 09 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BBC activity looks very illegal to me. Unauthorised access which at the time you did you knew to be unauthorised - check.
Dom

13th Mar 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is they don't actually show you them taking over botnets, only images of email accounts filling up with emails from either the gmail account or live account. So it could just be a stunt - from the video anyways.
John

13th Mar 09 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
John - hiding exe's in jpegs has been around a while and i know you could attach exe's to other exe's as i think it was an option in sub7.

good article on embedding zip/rar into a jpeg - http://www.scribd.com/doc/99864/How-to-Hide-Files-in-JPEG-Images

That's not running an executable just by clicking on a jpg though, which is what xa0s is claiming.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john get on msn and accept mypic.exe.jpg
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Mar 09 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Thing is they don't actually show you them taking over botnets, only images of email accounts filling up with emails from either the gmail account or live account. So it could just be a stunt - from the video anyways.

they show the command and control program for the botnet, so they are communicating with the drones.
John

13th Mar 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about mypic.jpg

.exe
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

computers are strange things, how do you "make" these bots?
John

13th Mar 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a program, not even normally one that takes advantage of a bug, that when run gives the 'hacker' remote control of your computer.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and the bbc has 22000
is a bug a virus?
John

13th Mar 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're normally not bugs or virus's, it's normally just a program that somebody gets sent over msn or one of these sites that come up and people just click aceppt and run.

They can be spread by a virus though.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so a virus is what automatically copies and sends the bots everywhere, bad bots?
John

13th Mar 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could probably class them all as a virus, would be easier to explain it that way I suppose.

I'd class a virus more as something that was covertly installed, not something somebody has clicked 17 boxes saying yes before it installed.

They have viral behaviour by spreading to everybody else on your msn or whatever.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see, so what is a bug?
John

13th Mar 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bug is a piece of programming that doesn't function the way it should.

These can be exploited in various ways to allow these remote control programs to be installed without anyone knowing.

For instance, a bug in internet explorer could mean that if you went to a dodgy website it could automatically install a virus on your computer.
Dom

13th Mar 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

they show the command and control program for the botnet, so they are communicating with the drones.

if it's the video on the link you posted, it shows wide-shots of software that looks similar to VNC, it certainly doesn't show botnet software or anything that could be directly connection to controlling botnets. Obviously their not going to show the software but there certainly isn't any "hard" evidence in that show of them controlling botnets.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright so a legit program can become a bug eg a microsoft program and then virus can take advantage, how does the virus know? Is it just random that it got to the right computer?
John

13th Mar 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People look for these bugs and find ways to exploit them, after that it's just a case of setting a website up and getting people to come to it.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how does a program become a bug? does the codes get changed by accident by the computer its self? if codes is the right word, as I think everything is just folders with different codes/algorithems in them, am I right?
This is a learning curve for me.

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by sand-eel]
John

13th Mar 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Programs aren't bugs, bugs are parts of the original programming that don't work in exactly the way they are expected to.

They are there from the original programmer sitting writing lines of code.

A program is a collection of algorithms that do different things yes, these algorithms not doing as expected create the bugs.
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so obviousely when the computer was programmed it works fine and is tested. how does the algorithems change them selves and stop working?
John

13th Mar 09 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't change themselves.

With something as complex as a operating system it's extremely difficult, if not totally impossible to test every single part of it until it gets out into the open.

Edited to take windows out, they all have them, windows one's just get found more often because of the massive user base.

[Edited on 13-03-2009 by John]
sand-eel

13th Mar 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so every computer probably has an undiscovered bug?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll