corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Opel Corsa GSi

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opel Corsa GSi
Gsi_Ire

User status: Offline
19th Jun 09 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
109lbft, so yours is making an extra 14

Sounds a bit odd alright. Would a ported/polished head account for extra torque?
Mark.W

22nd Oct 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really like this project good work mate
swissxe

22nd Oct 10 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big respect for the rescue
Gsi_Ire

25th Jan 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the restoration has taken a back seat for a while and I am using the car a bit more, mainly on track, but so far I havent done anything I can't undo.

The restoration will be completed some day, but I will most likely have to sell the Evo or the GSXR, and for now I dont want to do that.

But in the mean time.

[Edited on 25-01-2012 by Gsi_Ire]
corsasportsam

25th Jan 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lovely car mate fair play with it all... good to hear your enjoying it!!!!
gidged500
Premium Member

26th Jan 12 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cracking little car glad to see your saving a genuine Gsi , I didn't know they did black ones! And I didn't know the front seats were heated , also where did you get your radiator ? Keep up the good work
Jed D

26th Jan 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shiny shiny

black gsi is as fk

[Edited on 26-01-2012 by Jed D]
Gsi_Ire

26th Jan 12 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gidged500
Cracking little car glad to see your saving a genuine Gsi , I didn't know they did black ones! And I didn't know the front seats were heated , also where did you get your radiator ? Keep up the good work

Black appears to have been a european only colour, Ireland, Spain etc. From what I know there was only one sold in Ireland in black.

The front seats arent heated, and even though its wired for heated seats it was never an option. A mate of mine retro fitted original seats with heating elements. I didnt buy the headed seats in the end.

The rad is spurious, got it from my local motorfactor's.

quote:
Originally posted by corsasportsam
lovely car mate fair play with it all... good to hear your enjoying it!!!!

As much as I can.

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
shiny shiny

black gsi is as fk

[Edited on 26-01-2012 by Jed D]

Yes it is
Gsi_Ire

27th Sep 14 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I am at a crossroads.

Full of equal measures disappointment and anger.

So after years of procrastination and delays I was hoping to make another and hopefully final bash at bringing my beloved GSi back to life.

In preperation I arranged to have a very local mechanic look over the underside, I knew there was some rust in the spare well. I hoped and expected that it would need a bit of work but nothing terminal....

So apparently the rear chassis legs are pretty fuked (excuse the language). He was not very optimistic.... He said 1 is cracked and both are badly rusted...

Now, I don't typically use this guy. I approached him many years ago when I first had issues with the headgasket, and he quoted me mental money to even look at it, so I take the numbers he was floating about with a pinch of salt, but I do understand its not just a few days work replacing a bit of floor etc.

So I have not idea what to do and have no experiance with that level work. I would never consider it for any other car, but I am and have always been hung up on the the fact its one of only a handful of original Irish Corsa GSi's ever sold, and even fewer are left. I am also extremely confident that its the only factory produced RHD Corsa GSi in Black that was ever sold in the northern hemisphere. (many people will say, who gives a fuk, its a 1994 Opel Corsa).

So... I ask you this... any suggestions whats involved in repairing this level of rust etc?? Is it pointless??
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Sep 14 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no question it is incredibly rare, I've never seen another black RHD GSi this side of the Australian market.
Gsi_Ire

27th Sep 14 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
There is no question it is incredibly rare, I've never seen another black RHD GSi this side of the Australian market.

But can it honestly be brough back if its as bad as he says? Whats level work is involved? This guy suggested full interior strip, car on to some sort of jig to rotate and a few other things I didnt hear him say cause I stopped listening....

So angry, because it wasnt like this in 2011, it passed an NCT (MOT) which it couldnt have done if there was any rust. So this has all happened while I left it parked up again.
Gsi_Ire

27th Sep 14 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Genuine 104k miles on the clock and only 5 owners in 20 years....

I dont hold much credence in what he says most of the time.... apparently I should get rid asap and just by a tigra... sure they are getting rare.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Sep 14 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nowhere near as desirable.

Depends on two things - whether you can find someone to do it at sensible money and whether you can stomach funding it.
Gsi_Ire

27th Sep 14 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
can find someone to do it at sensible money

I think this depends on what exactly is required on replacing the rear chassis legs etc.... My usual mechanic has suggested he could do it for around €500, while asking me did I want it done cheap or right.... I just said I want functional. Safe and will pass the NCT. But this is just dependant on 3rd party info, and its not easy for me to get the car to him for him to look at it himself.

quote:
Originally posted by Ianyou can stomach funding it.

I suppose this relies heavily on how much its gonna cost... But I am not sure I can stomach letting it go either
Over the past few years, letting cars I really enjoy slip away by either having to sell them or not buy them at all, I have always held onto to have the Corsa. I dont think anyone will ever offer me enough money for it to break the sentimental connection I have built up with it... I own it longer than most people I know are evening driving!

Fuk, I dunno. Really shouldnt be this connected to a car.
Jason x
Premium Member

27th Sep 14 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save it
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Sep 14 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a bit of a business case to saving it - ie. it'll be worth more done.

They're not getting any cheaper and while they're never going to be crazy money like old Fords, you'd certainly get the 500 Euro back the longer you hold on to it.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Sep 14 at 01:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save it, please

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

28th Sep 14 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save it
Gsi_Ire

28th Sep 14 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of the guys on totalopel.com (local site) are saying its most likely its the spring seats but the mechanic was very positive it was more, so I dont know.

Hoping to get it back up on a ramp on Friday and get a second opinion.
Stuarrrty

29th Sep 14 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill buy it if its for sale,,only from northern ireland would drive down and lift it. i had yo get to rear legs done on my sport and was 90 a side that beng sterling so lke 250 euro
Gsi_Ire

29th Sep 14 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stuarrrty
ill buy it if its for sale,,only from northern ireland would drive down and lift it. i had yo get to rear legs done on my sport and was 90 a side that beng sterling so lke 250 euro

Its not sale yet, but I have already offered first refusal to someone else.

The initial disappointment has passed. I am going to wait till I have a second opinion... everyone keeps saying its unlikely to be as bad as the other guy made out.

As I already he know, the mechanic on Saturday has no concern for the rarity of the car, he see's it as any other Corsa!

I will report back at the end of the week!

Stuarrrty

29th Sep 14 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that fella u were taking to talking outta his arse it wll just the the spring holders
LukesCorsaSXi

2nd Oct 14 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely save it you have the ability too.

If not, sell it to someone who will save it. I'm sure people will travel for Black GSi.
Gsi_Ire

2nd Oct 14 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukesCorsaSXi
Definitely save it you have the ability too.

If not, sell it to someone who will save it. I'm sure people will travel for Black GSi.

I have every intention of trying to get it done myself.... but if not I have agreed first refusal with a guy who has an original Irish Calibra Turbo and Vectra GSi, both in black

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Opel Corsa GSi 24 database queries in 0.1085529 seconds