corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » jamsport fiesta st150

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author jamsport fiesta st150
deano87

User status: Offline
9th Feb 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
have you ever been to a rolling road? do you know how they work? how you get the figure etc?

Yes I have and no I don't, not really. I do know they use 2 different systems. Either way, if they are that accurate, both should give similar read outs.

My was was RR'd at Torque of the Devil. It is completely standard, had done about 75k iirc and made 60.4bhp. The accuracy isn't too bad, considering their 54 standard.

What is up with people tonight
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:
have you ever been to a rolling road? do you know how they work? how you get the figure etc?

Yes I have and no I don't, not really. I do know they use 2 different systems. Either way, if they are that accurate, both should give similar read outs.

My was was RR'd at Torque of the Devil. It is completely standard, had done about 75k iirc and made 60.4bhp. The accuracy isn't too bad, considering their 54 standard.

What is up with people tonight

fylwheel is the power that gets quoted correct?

how can that figure be accurate when the power is actually measured at the wheels? thus meaning its possible for rolling roads to be different. there are other factors. the temperature in the dyno room, the amount of air in the tyres (oddly affects it) plus say a few months later who is to say something isnt exactly the same. its all possible.

that comment from that kid about hondas all being accurate. well they cant be. they are as equally accurate as all other makes and models of std cars.

if you get a bhp figure at the flywheel, yeah it might be "about" right. but its not been measured there, its simply a calculation. ive had my car on the dyno 6 times in a row. all times it made within a 10bhp spread. same rolling road. few minutes apart. heat soak etc.

your results at torque of the devil are 6bhp up on std. why is that? did you not think to yourself that cant be right as the manufacturers tested it at 54bhp.

my car made 487bhp at the flywheel. to get that exact figure again, it would have to have the exact same factors as it did on that day. well not really but you know what i mean. it may make more on a colder day, less on a warmer day. but it will stil be "about" right for a calculation.

some rolling roads use the coast down method. fair enough, it sort of guesses at transmission losses based on resistance. but its still a guess really. others use a % of the power measured at the wheels.

hope i make sense. and the 'what is it with people tonight' comment, well, sorry.
mattk

9th Feb 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the wheel horsepower the one to look at then Nic to see if your car is making healthy power? serious question cause mine is running soon
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Is the wheel horsepower the one to look at then Nic to see if your car is making healthy power? serious question cause mine is running soon

well its what is measured by the rolling road. its the most accurate figure you will get without taking the gearbox off and using a bench dyno.

i mean im not saying flywheel bhp is bollocks from a rolling road. not at all. just dont expect it to actually be correct. yes, it will be "about" right, but no more.

edit, also manufacturers quote the flywheel bhp as its the bigger number. 100bhp sounds better than say 80. 200 better than 160-170.

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by Nic Barnes]
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

other people may want to correct some stuff i have wrote. thats just the way i know it to be. im not an engine mapper, i dont have a rolling road, i have used them and i have power ran cars before on them and also done basic mapping on my own car. nothing more.
Nick-S

9th Feb 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like dc5s

st is abit of a sleeeper

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by GSi_16v]
deano87

9th Feb 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine made 60.4bhp and Fonz's, with modification, made about the same with a few more torques.

I clearly don't know the specifics of rolling roads but also understand that a 10bhp difference can be had on the same rolling road, on the same day with the same car. However a 30bhp difference strikes me as quite a lot?!

But also, it isn't all about the peak power, it's how it gets there

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by deano87]
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well mine made 60.4bhp and Fonz's, with modification, made about the same with a few more torques.

I clearly don't know the specifics of rolling roads but also understand that a 10bho can be had on the same rolling road, on the same day with the same car. However a 30bhp difference strikes me as quite a lot?!

is it 30bhp more or 30bhp less?

you'd be amazed, im guessing it might explode you head, how bhp and stuff can alter. its absolutely amazing that stuff like petrol can affect it. yep, 99 ron from tescos wont give as much bhp as 99 from shell, etc etc etc.
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

congratulations on your number 1 reply of internet greatness when you have nothing more to say.

why would you put a car on a rolling road, on a rolling road day, if its not about peak power?
Carl

9th Feb 09 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

congratulations on your number 1 reply of internet greatness when you have nothing more to say.

why would you put a car on a rolling road, on a rolling road day, if its not about peak power?

I think a better question is why would you put a standard small engined car that you aren't doing to tune on a dyno anyway.
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a dyno day carl. its always nice to know what your car is roughly running like. ive had my std vectra gsi that i dont plan to tune on the rollers. dyno days are fun. nothing serious.
Nick-S

9th Feb 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or a diesel
Mike GSi

9th Feb 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nick, where have you been?
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Z20LET

trying to get good at call of duty according to my u2u box..........
deano87

Fucking hell.

I thought my car was running ok. Putting it on a dyno showed me that it was running ok and relatively healthy. In contrast, someone elses was running lean. And this was only flagged up by the RR'd. This could have happened with mine. If there was a dip in power (whether the car has massive power or not) would indicate problems also.

Am I not right in thinking that? Everyone at the South East RR day seemed to think that.

But now I know 30bhp difference is achievable because of different conditions. Something I didn't know before.
Nick-S

Hi Mike xx
Nick-S

9th Feb 09 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Fucking hell.

I thought my car was running ok. Putting it on a dyno showed me that it was running ok and relatively healthy. In contrast, someone elses was running lean. And this was only flagged up by the RR'd. This could have happened with mine. If there was a dip in power (whether the car has massive power or not) would indicate problems also.

Am I not right in thinking that? Everyone at the South East RR day seemed to think that.

But now I know 30bhp difference is achievable because of different conditions. Something I didn't know before.

the o2 reading will indicate if its running lean. a dip in power doesnt always mean its running lean.
Mike GSi

9th Feb 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
quote:

your failing on all levels, you own an Xbox
deano87

9th Feb 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't mean the dip in power was that it's running lean. I meant that a dip in power is showing a problem with the car somewhere i.e. AFM if I'm not mistaken.

tbh Nic, you're trying to pick fault with everything I say now.
Carl

9th Feb 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
its a dyno day carl. its always nice to know what your car is roughly running like. ive had my std vectra gsi that i dont plan to tune on the rollers. dyno days are fun. nothing serious.

You have a point, putting cars on rollers and driving in straight lines just doesn't do it for me. Then again I am a miserable bastard!
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:

You have a point, putting cars on rollers and driving in straight lines just doesn't do it for me. Then again I am a miserable bastard!

i drive round corners also....

plus how would i know what power my car made after being mapped? i mean i paid for it to be mapped, id like a result, not just a here you go its done and me knowing no wiser that it might be 100bhp down..............
Nick-S

9th Feb 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
quote:

your failing on all levels, you own an Xbox
xbox is were its at dont you know....

anyway...... cars..... rolling roads.....
Carl

9th Feb 09 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I didn't mean the dip in power was that it's running lean. I meant that a dip in power is showing a problem with the car somewhere i.e. AFM if I'm not mistaken.

tbh Nic, you're trying to pick fault with everything I say now.

No he isn't he trying to educate you a bit. And 30bhp difference yeah in higher powered cars, think percentages. 60bhp aint going to vary by 30bhp+ (unless you have the wrong 2 wheels on the rollers.
deano87

9th Feb 09 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I give up.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » jamsport fiesta st150 22 database queries in 0.0176339 seconds