corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Help reguarding ex landlord

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help reguarding ex landlord
Rob E

User status: Offline
9th Feb 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I moved out of my old student house just before christmas due to quite a few issues with other tennants and who they were involved with. My ex landlord told me he would end the contract early and return my £200 deposit. Great I thought, I sorted a new house out and moved in when I came back at the start of this term. Since 5th December 2008 I have been trying to get in touch with my old landlord as he still hasnt returned my deposit. I eventually managed to get hold of him at the start of January and he agreed to meet at the old house and sort it out....Anyway a few hours before we were due to meet he rang me saying there was a gas bill outstanding for the 6 weeks where I was living in the house on my own . Right ok I thought, left it a few days for him to sort and now over a month later I am unable to get hold of him, he wont return any of my calls/voicemails etc. I now wish to seek further action but i'm not sure what action to take. Could anyone give me some pointers/advice at what I can do next? I am not prepared to pay the whole of this bill either. The house had 5 rooms all of which were full until some point in october when they were all arrested. I will happily pay a 5th towards it which I think is perfectly fair.
MarkM

9th Feb 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Letter before action
Mo

9th Feb 09 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd probably go with what MarkM said. Send numerous letters stating ur problem and keep a copies of it. Think that would be ur first step. Verbal agreements won't get you anywhere.

Not 100% where u would go but have you tried citizens advice? They probably want it all in writing too
jrsteeve

9th Feb 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on when you moved in the deposit should have been backed by or held in a tenancy deposit scheme. If it wasn't you can sue as they've broken the law. If it was backed by a scheme then there is an arbitration system to escalate complaints and disputes. If successful you can claim back 2-3 times the deposit amount.

Alternatively pay him a visit (address should be on tenancy agreement)
neoquip

9th Feb 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Depending on when you moved in the deposit should have been backed by or held in a tenancy deposit scheme. If it wasn't you can sue as they've broken the law. If it was backed by a scheme then there is an arbitration system to escalate complaints and disputes. If successful you can claim back 2-3 times the deposit amount.

Alternatively pay him a visit (address should be on tenancy agreement)

you've put what i was going to say, threaten him you will seek legal advice as its now over a month and he should have given you back the 'money' withing 28days of you moving out.
If the mney was in the TDS you should get back whats owed less any 'bill' outstanding, if i wasn't in a TDS he's broken the law and can be taken to court.

Just check whether he took a DEPOSIT from you when you moved in or was it ADVANCE RENT on top of the 1st months rent in adavnce.

if he's not taken a 'DEPOSIT' from you there would be no need to used the TDS. (this is how landlords get round the law, they ask for advance rent instead of a deposit, i know us it's what i ask for instead of deposits since april last year)
Rob E

10th Feb 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it was deffinately a deposit. I signed the contracts etc when I moved in and he said he would supply me with a copy which i never recieved.... This guy was recommended by my University originally. Ive been disgusted with his service/attitude/laziness. I'm going to pay a trip to the Uni's housing service to see if i can get a home address for him
neoquip

10th Feb 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

send him a text first, see what he does
eddiewhiteley

10th Feb 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what were your house mates arrested for?
Rob E

11th Feb 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have dicided to write him a letter, and if no response is heard, further action will be taken.

eddiewhiteley, the other housemates were chineese and all got arrested and 5 years in prison for drugs. Apparently the police caught on to a £1,000,000 drugs scheme being operated by the triads in the local area. One of them who got arrested was also an illegal imigrant
mattk

11th Feb 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus
Rob E

11th Feb 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hency why I no longer live there
jrsteeve

12th Feb 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you quote the deposit protection scheme or TDS which ever he said he used as you actually are in a position to sue.
Rob E

12th Feb 09 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheer jrsteeve, will do
neoquip

14th Feb 09 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you have a proper OYEZ Short Hold Tenancy Agrement Contract?

New Poll