corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5
C2VXL

User status: Offline
15th Nov 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MELV14
Good thanks. How's you? Yeah, still got them. In the loft at the minute but I've got a couple of subframes sitting in the garage ready for them to be fitted. Will need a bit of welding done though.

Ye fine thanks.

Want to sell them back to me?
MELV14

16th Nov 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will see how I get on with them first as I do like them. Will certainly give you first refusal if I do decide to sell them.
MELV14

22nd Nov 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Timing belt and water pump were on the agenda today.

Woke up after dozing off watching the Auzzie V8's on TV this afternoon and woke up to find this

Ivan had pitched and started rather than knocking at the door lmao Good lad!

New belt

New water pump, rollers and tensioners

All done with a new (to me) K+N filter. Just need to extend it down the inside of the wing a bit.

Notice I removed the blue rocker cover and timing belt cover? Fitted a new rocker gasket and O rings round the bolt holes at the same time.

Also changed the front dics to the red dot grooved ones that I bought from Murray.

Before

After
Errr.......... kind of forgot a picture lmao Will get one at some point though.

Other things that I have no pics of are ;

- Filler and subsequent sanding of said filler on the inside where the rotten drain plugs were welded.
- Found the leak that was letting water into the passenger side rear quarter. The grommet at the top of the boot wasn't in right for some reason so I sorted that and clarted silicone sealer round it to make sure.
- Car rear ARB. Ground off the rust and started painting it with red hammerite

Sent the docs off to the DVLA last week too so it's properly legal when it goes on the road. None of this unregistered, shonky, half assed, faffing about for me.
MELV14

27th Nov 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be working on the Corsa this weekend

MELV14

8th Jan 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much has happened recently.

Original letter from Vauxhall stating the engine size and number has been sent to the DVLA
Another backbox has found it's way into the garage. Slightly more subtle. Cheers Ivan
I'm contemplating more of an interior (getting old)
Irmscher twin spokes are getting refurbed
I keep looking for Astra GTE alloys in white.
Can't wait to drive the bloody thing on the road.
MELV14

15th Jan 11 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brown envelope received from the DVLA this morning.

It's been a long time in the making however,I now officially own............... a 1.8 Corsa Merit. Tax at the start of next month and it's on the road.

[Edited on 16-01-2011 by MELV14]
Mark.W

15th Jan 11 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it mounted correctly?? engine looks wonky.
MELV14

15th Jan 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W

Yup. Define wonky. Too far left/right. Squint?

After all the sitting about since it's MOT I went out to have a wee check over the Corsa today. Drained a some coolant out of it as it must have had about 300ml too much in the bottle, sat in, turned the key
and .........................

it started first time!
SeanXE

15th Jan 11 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks sweet as! I'm hoping to put a 1.8 in mine next year
Mark.W

15th Jan 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MELV14
quote:

Yup. Define wonky. Too far left/right. Squint?

In this pic looks like the left side of the engine is lower.

[img] [/img]

[Edited on 15-01-2011 by Mark.W]
MELV14

15th Jan 11 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, the driver side engine mount was undone so that we could lower the engine and get to the bottom pully easier.

It's sitting on the jack and a block of wood in that pic.

Had me worried there.
Mark.W

16th Jan 11 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats ok then mate,just didnt want you going along and ya engine dropping out

Keep up the good work and its nice to see another person declaring an engine change as most dont even bother.
MELV14

16th Jan 11 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thats ok then mate,just didnt want you going along and ya engine dropping out

Keep up the good work and its nice to see another person declaring an engine change as most dont even bother.

Best to be on the safe side. Really not worth it IMO and to hell with taking the train to work
MELV14

16th Jan 11 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pic of V5 added above to show all those with undeclared conversions how it should be done

Fairly productive day today. Serviced Ellie's (Mrs Melv) mk4 Astra SXi. New Denso plugs, GM 10w40 oil, Gm oil filter and a fuel filter. Burnt my finger on the exhaust manifold and chipped a tooth in the process but that's another story lmao

Opened the boot on the Corsa and found that the leak is back. Could possibly have something to do with all the snow that was on the roof recently but I will keep an eye on it.

Cleared out the garage to make space for the Corsa. Really should have done this before all the snow but at least it's done now incase the snow comes back.

Will need to get a new plates made up at some point as the front one is a bit discoloured.

Loaded three 14" peugeot steels into the bac ready for taking it up to the tyre place. They have really good hankook tyres on them so one will be a spare meaning I will only need to purchase two tyres once it's taxed.

Still need to fit my rear ARB and GSi fuel pump. Never got round to that today as I had a lie in plus clearing out the garage took longer than I expected.
SeanXE

16th Jan 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens when you declare an engine, do they come and check. Or just change the log books and send it back? Just out of interest really
MELV14

16th Jan 11 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Initially I just sent away the log book with the changes listed but the DVLA sent a letter back saying that they would need either

* a receipt for the replacement engine (didn't have as it was 2nd hand)
* written evidence from the manufacturer
* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes (Flux didn't request a report)
* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle (I chanced the engine so couldn't use this option)

I phoned Vauxhall customer services, explained that I had changed the engine and that the DVLA needed proof of engine number and size from the manufacturer.

Vauxhall sent me out a letter on headed paper with all that and I returned it in the pre-paid envelope that the DVLA sent me.

Piece of cake really.

More info here on the DVLA site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054
SeanXE

16th Jan 11 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate, good to know for the future
MELV14

5th Feb 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a wee bit more today after a scrappy hunt with Ivan.

Replaced the split ecotec pipe

Extended the pipe for the airfilter so that it isn't rubbing on the airbox bracket

Not ideal bit it will do until I get something custom made up to tuck it down behind the headlight and get a cold air feed put in.

I also bought a second astra sport steel wheel so that I have a pair for when I am on the 1/4 mile.

Decided that it will be March that I tax it as I need to also purchase two tyres when it hits the road. This month is a little tight after the holiday to Abu Dhabi. Speaking of Abu Dhabi. I noticed this on one of the old F1 cars in Ferrari world. If cable ties are good enough for them to hold together the rain light then I feel better about using them.

Only things I need to do now are:

Get two tyres swapped from the pug steels onto two of the vauxhall steels and buy two new tyres.
Change the home brew fuel pump for the Gsi one.
Fit the GSI and Cavalier rear ARB's
Put rubbers in the front ARB
Wash, Polish
Weld in rails for the buckets and fit them
Paint the front half of the inside
Possibly refit some of the interior
Free the wiring for the cigarette lighter and fit the ashtray so I can use my Satnav
Fit the stereo

Obviously I will not need to do every single bit before taking it out for a good drive!
MELV14

20th Feb 11 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a freak occurrence it actually stayed dry today meaning I cracked on with some things.

Did some undersealing. No pics as the spray on crap get's everywhere when you are painting upside down.

Decided to change the backbox for something a little more subtle.

Old

New

Comparison

There is a slight blow at the join so once I'm on the road at the start of next month I will be taking it back over to custom craft in Elgin to get some slight adjustments made to allow a neater fit.

Also decided it was time I fitted the Corsa GSi rear anti roll bar.

Will paint over the scratches when I fit the cavalier rear ARB too. Went to fit it today but forgot that I hadn't finished painting it :doh:

Whipped off the 14" steels ready for getting tyres onto them next weekend. I can finally post a pic of the grooved discs since I forgot to upon fitting them

I'm now rolling on 15" astra sport steels on the front and weenie 13's on the back. Pics for giggles

Since I bought a satnav I really needed to sort something out for power. I bough anashtray a while ago but thought I'd have to wire it in as the merit never came with a fag lighter. I was wrong. Some kind soul at Vauxhall left all the wiring taped up. Result!

Plugged it all in and to test it worked I threw in my phone charger. Win!

Threw in my Pioneer H/U that had been sitting about since the Astra was written off

Bought new plates too. I fell out with the front one when I tial fitted it. It was squint and the screw wouldn't come out. I got a little annoyed and snapped the bloody thing in a rage lmao It's not big and it's not clever! Will have to order a new front one now.

Plates are plates but I added a little bit at the bottom for a laugh.

That's it for today. Next week will see new tyres, Cav rear ARB, the home brew MPi pump swapped to a GSi one and some floor painting in the front.
SeanXE

20th Feb 11 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol, love the plate Needs a very good clean though!
MELV14

20th Feb 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sure does. A bloody good clean to be honest.

I'm going to whip off all the badges, mask up all the plastics and give it a good going over with G3 then a good few coats of wax and polish........ eventually
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work Melv!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
MELV14

26th Feb 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Darryl

Today's tasks

Go to the scrappy and pick up a Vauxhall 14" rim - Done

Go up to the tyre fitters and purchase myself two new Maxxis tyres and get the three good Bridgestones I had on Peugeot steels fitted to my Vauxhall rims - done

Head through to Elgine to meet Murray from MIG. Pick up black front and rear door cards, black carpet and two sport steels - Done

Oh yeah. Got this bloody thing too. I'd rather buy £112.75 worth of tar and fill some pot holes myself! Needs must I suppose......

Fitted the carpet and the rear cards when I got home then secured the front seats properly and fitted the harnesses again. Looked out the Cav rear ARB ready for fitting tomorrow morning along with the front plate then it's drive time!
MELV14

27th Feb 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No new pics today I'm afraid. Too busy with my cousins clio but I did manage to get the front door cards fitted, the front number plate fitted and take it out for a drive. Ivan swapped out the fuel pump for the GSi one too.

Feels pretty fast considering the fastest car I've owned is a mk3 Astra sport or a 205 GTi (1.6)

A couple of wee tweaks needed the biggest of which is the altenator pully rubbing slightly on the chassis leg. Nothing a single V won't cure.

Happy? If I was any happier I'd need a wider face!
MELV14

6th Mar 11 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before buftying

After buftying

Another going over with G3 is needed. Then it's getting a polish and some wax and that will be enough faffing.

Also refitted some of the interior plastics today. Just the sill cover ones so that they hold the carpet in a little better. No pics as it was getting dark.

It must have made a hell of a difference. First thing Ellie said when she came back from work was "**** me it's actually red!"

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Merit C18XE - 1/4mile pics and vid pg5 24 database queries in 0.1137619 seconds