corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Fry's x14sz to a c20xe build

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fry's x14sz to a c20xe build
stuartfry

User status: Offline
24th Jan 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first off i payed £230 for the car looking like this, it had a bad miss fire and needed a new exhaust system, i bought it because my metro gta done a head gasket and needed a car!, also had my eye on a corsa b for a while.

the night i bought it with no tax or mot. so took it to the jet wash

after buying a standard walker system for it with new rubbers i decided to do things better than the last guy.(he did nuthing i.e no service for about a year and a bit hence the miss fire)

brake upgrade for the 2L calipers that were already on the corsa was, ebc greenstuff and turbo grooved discs from work Ricerocketuk. £109 rear drums where replaced with standard shoes and drums
with new bearings and handbrake cables £110, from the bay! i also installed goodridge brake lines as i can get them from work at cost £30

i didnt take any pics of the rear drums as there only standard and not that exciting... has any one notice that the car is pink too ....

i found a replacement for the alarm fob as the button was broken on both the green and purple ones

after a few days at trying new plugs, coil pack and leads the miss fire wouldnt sort it self out i did a o2 sensor witch helped alot but was still there. so what did i do with out doing a compretion test rebuilt the x14sz engine from the top of the block upwards.

i removed the battery, loom, air box, exhaust manifold, inlet manifold and cambelt. after doing this i checked the camshaft. it was scard and burnt oil all over it. the 4th cylinder inlet and exhaust lobe was nearly completly round off! so after sending the head of to be skimmed have the valve faces re-cut and acid dipped, i ordered a new camshaft from ebay as well as 8 hydro lifters, 8 rocker arms and 8 new rocker cap shims.

i installed the new camshaft bought a cheep gasket kit from work so after i steam cleaned the head, engine bay, block, oilways, heater matrix, rad, air box and wheel arches. i took of the sump after draining the little oil and water left in it steam cleaned the crankshaft, con rods, oil pick up and sump pan, got a GM sump gasket with sealant. after everything was dry i put the pick up pipe back on with new ring and on the new sump gasket and sealed went after the sealant set. i steam cleaned the gearbox and crankshaft pulley. after doing this found the water pump had been leaking a tad so decided while i was there to take it of and replaced it with new sealant. i then placed the head gasket on top side up with the head and camshaft in place i tighted down the head to the correct torques/turn settings. on with the old camshaft pulley and timed the engine up by the waterpump and tentioner with a bit of help from my old boss.

after waiting for a exhaust ring for the manifold everything was put back on with all the correct torque settings. oil was put in 10-40 semi, i took of the ht leads and cranked it over to get oil presure up the light went out and the leads went back on started first time and ran up nicely with its new coolant brake fluid and exhaust. was as quite as a mouse ..... in came a piper cross filter from work as well as a hi/low h4 H.I.D kit that we sell at work £100.

after driving it with the near side part of the bumper falling off i drove it over a speed bump and cracked the depo headlight!!!!!!!!!! hoping to fix it with something.

after a few weeks of driving it around letting it run in did a filter / oil change
and bought a c20xe early type engine in bits...... wish i didnt now but i will be doing a rebuild step by step as best i can on here give it time and money

more pics to come

[Edited on 24-01-2009 by stuartfry]

[Edited on 24-01-2009 by stuartfry]
Craig P

24th Jan 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks quite Nice that Mate for £250

Bargain!
stuartfry

24th Jan 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers its done 104k but will have the newly built engine and new suspention asap
corsa_godfather

24th Jan 09 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it mate,great for the money
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

24th Jan 09 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like that, fancy selling the rear bumper
stuartfry

24th Jan 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as iv never seen a corsa with my rear bumper £2000 na dont want any other sorry ArchieFrew. godfather love your wheels im getting my cav gsi alloys painted and put on asap what gose well with red other than black?
Craig P

24th Jan 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartfry
cheers its done 104k but will have the newly built engine and new suspention asap

Still Good for the Money.And as you say chnage a few things and it'll be like New.
Wrighty

24th Jan 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i recognize that, it used to be someone on heres????
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

24th Jan 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartfry
as iv never seen a corsa with my rear bumper £2000 na dont want any other sorry ArchieFrew. godfather love your wheels im getting my cav gsi alloys painted and put on asap what gose well with red other than black?

No problem, it's just a standard bumper with a number plate recess from a different bumper cut & moulded in !

Just trying to save getting one made up !
stuartfry

25th Jan 09 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrighty yes it was but i dont know the guy as my mate bought it of him then sold it then i bought it in bugard condish!!! really like it though just a pitty as my side skirt fell off tonight from south end and that its pink. would like to see a thread if there was one for this before i got it. came from kent. more pics to come
stuartfry

27th Feb 09 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after coming back from mexico on the 14th of feb i decided to work on the car as id been thinking of what to do over the whole holiday the girl friend wasnt pleased with me as was writing down everything on a note pad in our room and by the pool LOL! i had got powerflex exhaust mounts before going away two for the centre and two for the rear box.

after removing the old ones and seeing that walker rubbers are **** but good for budget uses.

i thought to myself that i had not opened the sun roof since i had bought the car and in doing so i found this!!!

after finding this i took out the damaged one and went to peas pottage (scrapy) and found a better condition one out of an opel corsa b. on fitting it the drivers side clip was a little tight, maybe a little too tight and i snaped the little lug on the arm but it still goes up when i open the sun roof! after hoovering out the rust from the drain holes i then greased the runners and everything works perfect.

now for my styling update, i bought a set of 80mm rear springs from pazz1991 so here is my fitting that should help noobies on here

ride hight on both sides to start with:

this pic was on a hill^

first i jacked up the car on the rear axle beam.

after doing so i stood up and looked at the front of the car!

OPPPS!

secondly i put axle stands under the rear jacking points and lowered the car onto them with jack still tacking the weight of the axle beam.

thirdly i undone the bolts that hold the rear dampers in place on the axle beam, still with axle weight on the jack

the next thing was to clean up and grease the bolts ready for re-installment.

found that the koni's that came with the car where 40mm springs all round and uprated shocks with damper adjustment.

i lowered down the axle beam and the two springs fell out

be careful of your brake lines and not to go too far like i nearly did.

after placing the springs back in place with the shocks alined and bolts in loose by jacking the axle beam back up i checked for clearance and made sure the springs wouldnt move and tightend the two bolts!!!!! at last i had finished and came to the point of taking out the axle stands and letting the jack down

this is the result!

before:

after:

before:

after:

let me know what ya think and ill be putting up more pics tomo as im to tired tonight enjoy!

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by stuartfry]

[Edited on 28-02-2009 by stuartfry]
scaron5188
Organiser: South West
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics dont work for me

edit: half of them do lol

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by scaron5188]
stuartfry

28th Feb 09 at 03:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry try it now
Craig P

28th Feb 09 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anymore Updates,I was looking forward to this Thread?
scaron5188
Organiser: South West
Premium Member

28th Feb 09 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can see lol

looks much better bud, i want lower rear springs to lol
l15ter

28th Feb 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want a red gsi kit
richc

28th Feb 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l15ter
i want a red gsi kit

You dont. Pretty much assure you it wont match up. Paint it
stuartfry

28th Feb 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be more i just need some time to get the pics of my phone xe bits!!!!
stuartfry

1st Mar 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'v started sorting out my check list for my rebuild of the xe i got in bits and took some pics,

camshafts:

block:

pistons need cleaning and new rings on the way:

fuel rail, reg and injectors:

there where some bolts left in the block so i decided to take them all out and lable what they are all from! in work hours

i wanted to see how bad the inlet manifold was so i removed the throttle body and gasket and found this....

i also wanted to clean up the manifold with a grinder and wire wheel but got board so decided to do it when i get my heat wrap

the f20 box that i need to get checked for play or do a slight rebuild on seals and gaskets.

the broken cv took ages to get out after my mate alex took 5 seconds proving me wrong of how to get it out

[Edited on 01-03-2009 by stuartfry]
stuartfry

3rd Mar 09 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

little update on the car, i went to my old work for a caramel wheel and a heat gun! heated up the bump strips and removed them and burned the glue off with the wheel. here's how it came out after the glue removal and a wash after. i also aquired a new gsi gril and badge no slats where broken on it but the badge had some overspray so took that off with thinners and sprayed it with 7 coats of lacquer and to set overnight. fitted it up and looks so much better !

after the wash with grill.

can any one guess what this is and what im planning to do with it?

both my first and second head as second one is better condition than the first both on my bed at home, i sleep on the sofa!

first:

second

i have a problem the first head has dowls for the cam caps and my second one only has them on the end caps 1 , 5, 6 and 10 im guessing they should all have them on each cap stud any one help on that?

before cleaning the caps:

only done the first 3 on the cambelt side at the mo:

let me know what ya think !
adz_gsi

5th Mar 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lloks ace this just wish i could find a car similar to this v cheap
Sean-B

5th Mar 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats going on with your drivers side door?
evans_corsab

5th Mar 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im into that back bumper and the smoothed boot doesnt look stupid like some , yeh whats the score with the white patch ?
stuartfry

5th Mar 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so funnny the guy wanted £700 at first but after finding the miss fire got him down well worth it as its got the kit black trims depo's suspention and wheels with the 2L brakes !!!!
stuartfry

5th Mar 09 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im guessing you mean the glue from the rubbing down of the side strip took 5 or 10 mins to get that all off!!! tar remover works well... the whole cars having a mop before PVS so should all be one colour! just bought 5 slabs too.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Fry's x14sz to a c20xe build 23 database queries in 0.1044271 seconds