corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wired Networks...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wired Networks...
Cosmo

User status: Offline
25th Nov 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to be creating a wired network in the new Liverpool shop, will have about 8 PC connected to it, and probably 2 printers. Seems all the cable is being laid so it can be hidden, am I best going for CAT5e or CAT6?

Bit of a network n00b but its not going to be anything too complicated from what I can see
Dan Lewis

25th Nov 08 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat5e will be fine for your needs, if in fact you are using a 100Mbp network.

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by Dan Lewis]
Cosmo

25th Nov 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought as much.

Is it as simple as...

Switch Box (probably a 16 or 24 Port one) and Patch Panel in a central location and then Cat5e Cable running from the above to Cat5e Modules in the rooms? And then obviously the PCs set up in a LAN.

Or am I thinking this is more simple than it looks? And also am I right in assuming Id need UTP modules over FTP?
Dan Lewis

25th Nov 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how much you want to spend. Will you be having an ASDL connection? also VOIP or analoge?
Cosmo

25th Nov 08 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Lewis
depends how much you want to spend. Will you be having an ASDL connection? also VOIP or analoge?

Yeah, I didnt factor ADSL into all that, more just meant for the actual LAN inside the shop. No VOIP.
Dom

25th Nov 08 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's the basic of network - PC's -> Switch. If the internet comes into play then you'll either need a router and attach it to the switches uplink or run the internet through a server and proxy everything through that.

As for FTP (Foiled Twisted Pair) and UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair), ideally you'd use FTP for long run's up/down walls etc and UTP for patch bay connections as it's tricky to terminate FTP. And to be honest, i would use UTP unless you're running stupid lengths.
But yes, 99% sure you'd need FTP modules on the sockets. Most patch panels will accept FTP/UTP cables etc

edit - it might also be worth looking at a central smallish server (ie: Windows Server / AD Domain), as it would be your proxy server for the ADSL, plus some where that backups could be made to (although an external backup solution is a must, and keep it locked in the safe etc).

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by Dom]
Cosmo

25th Nov 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Max length of cable run would probably be something like 30-40m.
Dan Lewis

25th Nov 08 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UTP works up to 100metres i believe.
Dan Lewis

25th Nov 08 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could get a decent enough network for sub £500
Cosmo

25th Nov 08 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah have been looking at prices and can get a decent patching cabinet, 24 port patch and switch for about £100. So will be a case of cabling and the modules ontop of that then.

So I'll be fine with UTP cable and modules?
Dan Lewis

25th Nov 08 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be fine with UTP cables & modules

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by Dan Lewis]
Cosmo

25th Nov 08 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmoooo halttt!!!

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT Use Cat6 cable. Future proof, ready for 1000MBPs speeds and even 10,000MBPs.

Run UTP on it's own, not next to elecrical cables/next to floresent lights.

90M is the industry standard for Switch -> Wall Socket length.
Dom

25th Nov 08 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Lewis
UTP works up to 100metres i believe.

It's a few pennies cheaper too. But FTP is a lot more robust and can potentially offer a better connection.
Just make sure you get a half decent switch, something like a Gigabit HP ProCurve or 3Com Bassline (£220-270).
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Yeah that's the basic of network - PC's -> Switch. If the internet comes into play then you'll either need a router and attach it to the switches uplink or run the internet through a server and proxy everything through that.

As for FTP (Foiled Twisted Pair) and UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair), ideally you'd use FTP for long run's up/down walls etc and UTP for patch bay connections as it's tricky to terminate FTP. And to be honest, i would use UTP unless you're running stupid lengths.
But yes, 99% sure you'd need FTP modules on the sockets. Most patch panels will accept FTP/UTP cables etc

edit - it might also be worth looking at a central smallish server (ie: Windows Server / AD Domain), as it would be your proxy server for the ADSL, plus some where that backups could be made to (although an external backup solution is a must, and keep it locked in the safe etc).

Pssst - FTP = STP (Sheilded Twisted Pair). FTP = File transfer protocol

No need to use STP unless you have a space problem (ie have to run the cables next to electrical sockets/along the roof next to lights)

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by pow]
Dom

25th Nov 08 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Pssst - FTP = STP (Sheilded Twisted Pair). FTP = File transfer protocol

No need to use STP unless you have a space problem (ie have to run the cables next to electrical sockets/along the roof next to lights)

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by pow]

FTP is another name for STP (cables are stamped with FTP). Oh and STP is also a network protocol But i've always used FTP over fair distances (90m+), plus FTP has a lower noise floor which potentially offers a better connection (debatable).

John

25th Nov 08 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd use cat6, not much more outlay, just get standards compliant cable that fits in rj45 ends, some doesn't without adapter bits.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 17:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat6 is slightly overkill but if i'm honest I dont know the price difference between cat5 and cat6 atm.

If you are laying it yourself then get a cable tester and make sure you test EVERYTHING.

willay
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT Use Cat6 cable. Future proof, ready for 1000MBPs speeds and even 10,000MBPs.

Cat5e will handle Gigabit fine, I dont think Cosmo needs 10GB links in his office network just yet
willay
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again if budget allows go for a gigabit network, I dunno what your business needs are but it will probably be overkill......hey if you can afford it then go for it.

Are you laying all the cable yourself?
Bart

25th Nov 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo, what sort of thing will the PCs be doing? If its just surfing the net, word documents and such then stick with nice and easy Cat5e.

If its going to be heavy file transfer (between PCs) and big bandwidth stuff, then go for Cat6. You will only really notice the difference when passing 1gb+ around your network.
Not only that, but you will need to get cat6 crimps, wall sockets which is a PITA. Cat6 is quite a bit thicker than cat5e and dont tend to go in 'run of the mill' network boxes so easily.
You can buy a 10/16 port netgear switch nice and cheap from somewhere like ebuyer.

Its fairly easy to do yourself, but as Willay said, a cable test is a must, you can get cheap ones from ebay for a few quid.

[Edited on 25-11-2008 by Bart]
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Cat5e will handle Gigabit fine, I dont think Cosmo needs 10GB links in his office network just yet

I know Cat5e will

Just saying, future proofing/if the shop comes up for sale in the future, having Cat6 wired in makes it high end network compatable.
willay
Premium Member

25th Nov 08 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate i doubt they will care if its cat6 or bell wire.
Nismo

25th Nov 08 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the network just for PCs? As you could put in a POE switch so at a later date you could utalise the network for CCTV, Access Control, intelligent building management etc..

For the extra few quid id consider a POE switch, Linksys do a good 24 port switch.
Andrew

25th Nov 08 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
If you are laying it yourself then get a cable tester and make sure you test EVERYTHING.

However, it's not a massive job taking off a face plate to switch the wires around. Just don't go cutting any cables

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll