corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » DVD compression/conversion for HDD storage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DVD compression/conversion for HDD storage
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 08 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just bought a large external hdd and want to put all my dvds on it, i will use dvd encrypter to burn them to the hdd.
I just need to know the best format to convert the dvds to i.e. DIVX or Mpeg, mp4 or avi etc. ideally so they are able to play in windows media centre, i have looked at using .MKV files but the conversion process seems really complicated and lengthy so AVI maybe an option, i would like decent vid quality.
any ideas on best software to use to convert to the prefered format?
cheers
Aaron

2nd Nov 08 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XviD FTW IMO

The mp4 ones i have are great picture quality, but the lip sync is crap...and this really pisses me off when trying to watch the movie

i use a combination of DVD Decrypter and AutoGK. DVD Decrypter to decryprt the DVD into .Vob files, and then AutoGK to encode the files into an XviD .avi to the quality of my choice

[Edited on 02-11-2008 by Aaron]
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Nov 08 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and what size film do you end up with afterwards say on a 4 gig DVD and what is the quality like?
Aaron

2nd Nov 08 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends. You have the option to choose how much of the quality you want to preserve (in the form of a percentage)

So, if you wanted a DVD quality rip...you'd choose 100% etc. But of course, the better quality you choose, the bigger the final file.

Or, you have the option to specify the final size of the file you want. This is the option I use. I generally say that I want the final encoded video to be around 1 GB in size, the encoding software will then compress it accordingly.

But, when you have a stupidly long film like Titanic or Saving Private Ryan, you have to choose a much bigger file size otherwise the quality is utter shite.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and all the software is free

[Edited on 02-11-2008 by Aaron]
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Nov 08 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers will give it a whirl in a mo cheers
Cosmo

3rd Nov 08 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the size of a standard 90-120min DVD quality ripped film?
Aaron

3rd Nov 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Whats the size of a standard 90-120min DVD quality ripped film?

ripped to .Vob files i think it'll be about 4 or 5 GB. Could be wrong
Cosmo

3rd Nov 08 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meant if you set it to 100% XviD .avi
Aaron

3rd Nov 08 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Around 4 or 5 GB then
Cosmo

3rd Nov 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh

Thats fine then.

Thank you please.
Russ

3rd Nov 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what Aaron

most films are around 700mb
Cosmo

3rd Nov 08 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
what Aaron

Thats what I thought from downloading, I mean buying them online. DVDRips are normally approx 700mb, with bluray etc. being 4GB+.
Dom

3rd Nov 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
quote:

Around 4 or 5 GB then

if it's XVid to around 4/5GB then i would look at your options or use a different converter as you should be able to get it down to around 1.5GB without loosing too much quality (although still isn't brilliant).

If you're archiving your own collection then i would look at lossless codecs like Lagarith, Huffyuv, Alparysoft, MSU (if it's still going), instead of lossy codecs like Divx, XVid etc. Noticable differences between a decent lossless codec and a DVD is minimal and with a little playing around you can get files down half the size of a DVD.

Or keep them as vobs, but depends how much storage and how many DVDs....

Also multiple passes during encoding will improve the quality (without much difference in file size) but a decent encode can take a few hours if not most of an afternoon.

[Edited on 03-11-2008 by Dom]
Aaron

3rd Nov 08 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
what Aaron

When compressed
Aaron

3rd Nov 08 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

The question from Cosmo was "how big are the files when i choose 100% quality"...i.e. no compression. Every encoding program will be the same in this situation.

Toby
Premium Member

4th Nov 08 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
quote:

Around 4 or 5 GB then

if it's XVid to around 4/5GB then i would look at your options or use a different converter as you should be able to get it down to around 1.5GB without loosing too much quality (although still isn't brilliant).

If you're archiving your own collection then i would look at lossless codecs like Lagarith, Huffyuv, Alparysoft, MSU (if it's still going), instead of lossy codecs like Divx, XVid etc. Noticable differences between a decent lossless codec and a DVD is minimal and with a little playing around you can get files down half the size of a DVD.

Or keep them as vobs, but depends how much storage and how many DVDs....

Also multiple passes during encoding will improve the quality (without much difference in file size) but a decent encode can take a few hours if not most of an afternoon.

[Edited on 03-11-2008 by Dom]

well wasnt that impressed with the xvid encoding, the attempt i made at converting to an mkv file proved there is a lot better quality available, b ut its a bitch to do unless im missing something.
Dom what size file do you get using something like Lagarith say on a 4gb dvd?
Dom

4th Nov 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have only ever used it a handful of times and i managed to get them down to around 2GB/3GB - like i say, if you have the space then that's what i would use or store the whole DVD with menus as Vobs.

Have a look at Huffyuv, it's the most common lossless codec although i've never used it.

And VirtualDub (mpeg 2 modded version) is what i use for encoding etc - load mpeg2 vob into, select video/audio stream, then just fire it out compressed.

Worth a read - HERE
colour_golden

4th Nov 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know how to rip and encode HD DVDs? I have some i wouldnt mind backin up.
Toby
Premium Member

6th Nov 08 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by colour_golden
Anyone know how to rip and encode HD DVDs? I have some i wouldnt mind backin up.

Use DVD Fab HD Decrypter, it will rip HD and Blu Ray but if you want one file it may be better to rip to an ISO file using anothe rprogramme as im pretty sure DVDfab will not do an iso file.
Im using a programme called handbrake to convert and compress my dvd and converting the files to .MKV files which is a very high qaulity container with great compression factors, obv is you compress though for storage reasons then you will lose quailty.
I would say after fiddling with the settings sligthly i am at 90-95 quailty of a normal dvd and i encode usually with Dolby pro logic so have surround sound. I had an 7.8 gig movie which has compressed to 2 gig and is of good quality which i can deal with.

New Poll