corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dsr race engineering..no more corsa..bring on the corrolla

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dsr race engineering..no more corsa..bring on the corrolla
dsracing

User status: Offline
8th Oct 08 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

decided to start a new thread just for the corsa. the other thread will continue for the westy and fford though!
the plan is to build a 1400xe hillclimb corsa, the base is a 2000 1200cc in very good nic, this is how i bought the car..

and this is how it looks at the mo, all it has is k&n filter, cherry bomb back box and the calibre wheels..

the rear seats have gone but will make temporary returns (baby seat!!), carpet and soundproofing gone..was goin to put two of these in..
but decided to sell them..110 to go, i would prefer an fia approved seat with side mounts welded in.

the plan is to put a 14xe in with a fast road cam, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and decent inlet, only looking for around 110bhp for now, im not worried about big power i just need it to rev quickly to cope with getting out of corners and shooting down to the next one..as its not circuit racing i dont really need a 2.0l plus i feel it'll be too heavy.
then i think adjustable dampers, test a cpl of brake compounds and i will design an adjustable front arb for wet/dry changes.

externally i like the wheels and the tyres are good in the wet, de-sticker and de-tint the car, de-badge and possibly put some gsi skirts on as i feel theres summat missing there.

if i had a full budget then this would be the badger!!

so i'll keep up2 date as it progresses and hopefully be on the hills next year!! all suggestions welcome.

[Edited on 18-10-2008 by dsracing]
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

8th Oct 08 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hill climbs you do not need Fia approved seats or harnesses. Just the correct racing license. Is that seat a Kevlar or carbon fibre? or is it Steel Framed. I'm heading for Doune Hill climb next year with my xe but still lots of work to be done. As for weight etc that has no real problem in a hill climb with respect to the engine providing you lose it elsewhere . Check out my thread below
dsracing

8th Oct 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i realise they don't need fia approved seats, but its an investment into the future when the corsa will be condemned be a full time comp car and live in the w/shop. there are two seats and they are steel framed jobbies. yeah the weight is not a big difference to say the redtop but this is a small budget and i dnt want to be in a class 2.0l class with imprezas, skylines. so i think a 14xe that ways nowt can be fairly competative....i hope lol
dsracing

8th Oct 08 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in its class that is
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

8th Oct 08 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have chosen a good class to be in, i'm going to be in a hard class but then im in it just for the enjoyment more than anything else to be honest.
dsracing

8th Oct 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i think its the sensible choice, im a race engineer by trade so hopefully i should have an idea on how to chuck it around..i think that a 2.0 in a corsa on a hill will be phenominal fun!!!
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

8th Oct 08 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been losing weight in mine so it will be a bit of fun anyway, just need to learn the hills
dsracing

8th Oct 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best way to learn hills is to close your eyes and chuck it in lol lol, the westfield in my profile cars is my old mans and beore this incarnation he was spritning at lotun park and the throttle stuck, hit the bank, flipped twice, landed on its wheels and as the throttle was still open it shot down a ditch...neddless to say he stays off the hills and sticks to sprints!!
sand-eel

8th Oct 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good
I would say weight for a hill climb has to be as low as possible as your going against gravity and also it does need some amount of torque to fly out of slower corners.

who are you a race engineer for? is it a motorsport race engineer or other?
dsracing

8th Oct 08 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the plan. im self employed as a racecar engineer and recently started dickspanner race engineering as a business..at the moment i have a pretty full time customer in intermotorsport..british fford and british gt for winter testing and next season so the corsa will get attention inbetween. im cheif bolty and chassis engineer on the fford.
sand-eel

9th Oct 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool i'am trying to get into motorsport as well.
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good good..go for it!!
Ben-B

9th Oct 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice base car

will keep my eye on this project good look
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finished today at donington very early so thought i'd take a cpl of pics of the corsa, remove the black paint in the rear side windows and wash and polish her.

before

after

and here she is as i left her for tonight. hopefully after this race weekend it will be time to sort the suspension/arb/bracing set up
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no..actually this is how i left her
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found these, sports rate..think i'll use em with some 450lb springs on the front, should stop the car pitching to much under braking and hopefully if there any good the rebound should be controlled enough to bring the weight back up when i come off the brakes..anybody had experience of these before??
Lucky B

9th Oct 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hold on there Dick!!!

What class are you intending competing in in this 1.4 Corsa?
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not decided yet, ive not bought these lol dont worry, i need to check regs first!!
Lucky B

9th Oct 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you intend to enter a production based class you'll most likely have to run list 1A tyres, 450lb springs & List 1A tyres = understeer city... similarlly those dampers pictured wont damp a 450lb spring.

You need to decide whether your going to enter a production or modified class b4 you spend a penny.
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the warning on the dampers..most likely to be modified class as it opens it up a bit spec wise.
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that case i'll most likely go for an avo set up, best get reading tech specs!!
Lucky B

9th Oct 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Corsa is rather heavy, if you plan to be competitive in the class (B1) you should be thinking Citroen AX, 205 Mk1 Fiesta etc... hillclimbing as i'm sure you know is all about weight reduction, your penalising yourself b4 you even start by using a Corsa...

If you intend doing it for fun only ignore the above comments and enjoy.
Lucky B

9th Oct 08 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AVO's?! *runs & hides*

I'm not a fan of AVO dampers having used them in the past... dont Bilstein do a tarmac damper? (not sprint/sport road type valving?)
Or keep your eyes peeled for some Nova/Corsa Leda dampers and an adjustable tie bar kit so you can wind on loads of castor while keeping camber to a minimum for those all important launches.
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

class but its here lol. we'll see, if i get reasonable power and a descent set up then it could be fun, if it doesnt feel right then one of the mentioned could well be in the frame..if i was serious i'd use a westfield.
dsracing

9th Oct 08 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*heavy for its class

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » dsr race engineering..no more corsa..bring on the corrolla 23 database queries in 0.1066709 seconds