corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Where should I put my money - ISA or pay mortgage?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where should I put my money - ISA or pay mortgage?
M2RTY

User status: Offline
6th Oct 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently have an outstanding mortgage of £70500 on which I am paying 7.2% interest (was a very flexible deal, APR is a little high, but no fees to start, no fees to end, can overpay by anything and not incur charges etc). Works out £435 interest a month at the moment (only paid one month so far, this might differ slightly)

I have an ISA with HSBC, and get about £30 a month interest from it (with £5000 in it), would I be better off sticking the 5K in the Mortgage account to reduce the monthly interest by more then £30 a month? (Unsure APR on ISA but its about 5%??)

Any money I put in mortgage I can withdraw again, which is good.

Or leave it in ISA and just build up the interest? No good at money!

Thanks

[Edited on 06-10-2008 by M2RTY]
RichR
Premium Member

6th Oct 08 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

50/50 split; keep £2500 back for anything which you may need the cash for, and put £2500 into the mortgage.

We had our 1 year account the other month and have paid off a measly amount compared to the nearly £9k that we had paid.

As soon as our renovations are finished I intend on overpaying (upto our overpayment limit) of £499 per month. I got bored and wrote a mortgage spreadsheet and if I do that from january I can pay my mortgage off in October 2018 assuming no changes to APR.

At the same time though, if you have a major problem with the house, car etc have you got seperate funds to sort it if you put the full £5k into the mortgage
RichR
Premium Member

6th Oct 08 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that works out at finishing 14 years early and saves us £58,125.35 in the long run.
Leighton

6th Oct 08 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pay off the mortgage and save the money on the interest there.
M2RTY

6th Oct 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee - money can come straight back out of the mortgage fund at any time, but I can only put in ISA once a year (3k)

Basically I need to "fill up" my account with £75,000 in 25 years for the lot to be paid off, and also pay any interest occured each month

I will try and put 1k a month in once all the renovation work is done, but spending a lot on the house at the moment (may be 1k a month or more for the next 6 months)

Also, the rate 7.2 is not too good, as the house was valued at 75k and i borrowed 95% of that. Once finished, I will reassess the value, should be close to £120k, thus the APR will come down to 6.5% (based on % of value/mortgage amount) going on their current brackets, which should save me a few quid a month

If I put in 1k a month, thats overpaying by £550ish, unsure on how many years I will knock off but should be a fair few!!

Might move 1k over for now to see if it has any effect or not, then move a few more over once/if I can sell the BMW lol

thanks
RichR
Premium Member

7th Oct 08 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ISA allowance should be £3.6k now?

M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok 3600, nowhere near what I intend on putting away tho (12k) tho
Robbo

7th Oct 08 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id agree with the above, keep some back but obviosuly from a purely financial sense, it is beeter to pay off as much of the mortgage a spossible
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the money I am paying off is just sitting in an account where I can take it directly back out again (thus interest will go up again) - unlike an ISA where I can only put 3600 in once a year

so could but 20k in for a year, then take 10 out for a few months, then put 15 back in etc and interest on the mortgage reflects the balance I owe
Robbo

7th Oct 08 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesnt make sense to me, you cant operate a mortgage like a bank account so there must be penalties or something for taking funds out again?
RichR
Premium Member

7th Oct 08 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got a "one account" type mortgage?

[Edited on 07-10-2008 by LiVe LeE]
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Have you got a "one account" type mortgage?

[Edited on 07-10-2008 by LiVe LeE]

yep, one account
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
That doesnt make sense to me, you cant operate a mortgage like a bank account so there must be penalties or something for taking funds out again?

interest goes back up, simple as
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every day, any money in your One account doesn't just sit there; it automatically reduces your mortgage balance.
By reducing the balance, the amount of interest you pay reduces too. The knock on effect being your mortgage balance shrinks quicker.
This means you're overpaying your mortgage without actually having to find any extra money. And it will happen automatically; you won't have to lift a finger.
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.oneaccount.com/onev3/calculator/mortgage-shrinker-calculator.shtml
Robbo

7th Oct 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh its a One account, you should have said

fuck knows
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry thought i did lol, new to all this stuff lol
corsa120

7th Oct 08 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you have an interest only mortgage??? personally i would switch to repayment, so you dont have to find the money at the end and keep saving into an isa each month, thats what id do
M2RTY

7th Oct 08 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
so you have an interest only mortgage??? personally i would switch to repayment, so you dont have to find the money at the end and keep saving into an isa each month, thats what id do

no, i get charged interest only, based on what money I owe them. So if i put in £435 a month I would be paying interest only

as I am putting in £1000 a month, I am paying £565 off a month, plus £435 interest too.

I could pay the full lot off tomorrow if I wanted with extra penelties, or pay interest only for 35 years
Kerry

8th Oct 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One Account is a good mortgage choice
If used right the potential savings are massive
I used to sell One Accounts several years ago

New Poll