corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Horn Fixed!! Airbag still broken

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Horn Fixed!! Airbag still broken
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Sep 08 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are the different componants of the horn that can/could be replaced to fix it?
is it an mot failure not working?

edit: took airbag off and replaced as per but airbag ligth is on? im guessing i need to reset ecu or take it back out and replace it again seating the connector better

[Edited on 29-09-2008 by CorsaB4ever]

[Edited on 02-10-2008 by CorsaB4ever]
James_H

28th Sep 08 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes is a mot failure, not working?

Check the button by taking it off and touching the wires, still not working?

Check the wires near the horn they useally get broken.
Toby
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buttons seem fine and connector in the actual horn seems ok so could be the horn itself?
tom130691
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try replaceing the horn
and its also illegal tohave air bag light on all time
to reset ECU un plug the battery for half hour
if it is still on cut the bulb off of tape it up(as they do in max power book)
luke85

29th Sep 08 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the horn and airbag are both not working then check the ribbon cable cartridge thing that goes behind the steering wheel, it might not be connected properly, both sets of wires have to go through that to let you turn the steering wheel without ripping the wires out
Toby
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

horn int working, took out airbag to check if it was the buttons but they seem fine, put steering wheel back in with airbag and the airbag ligth is now constyantly on, is this removed by refitting the air bag properly (which i thought i had) or resetting ecu, i also know this is an MOT failure.
As for the horn i reckon its the actual sounder on the horn, it must be as all the connections seem fine and i can see it just breaking overnigth in the loom
tom130691
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

disconnect ecu for half hour refit airbag
then should be fine
and replace the horn
luke85

29th Sep 08 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The light will go out when you fix the problem, Look into why the horn isnt working first because the 2 might be related. Do you hear the horn relay clicking when you press the horn button?
luke85

29th Sep 08 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ECU for the airbag is different to the engine ECU by the way, you can try the old disconnect the battery for an hour but I doubt it will help you im afraid
Toby
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
The ECU for the airbag is different to the engine ECU by the way, you can try the old disconnect the battery for an hour but I doubt it will help you im afraid

yeah but the ligth for the airbag only came on when i took put the airbag back in so i hgihly doubt its to do with the horn unless ive knocked the yellow airbag wire when i put it back in

quote]Originally posted by luke85
The light will go out when you fix the problem, Look into why the horn isnt working first because the 2 might be related. Do you hear the horn relay clicking when you press the horn button?

yeah it does, and the loom all seems fine, the connector into the sounder was firmly in so im guessing it may just be that
Toby
Premium Member

29th Sep 08 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
quote:

yeah but the ligth for the airbag only came on when i took put the airbag back in so i hgihly doubt its to do with the horn unless ive knocked the yellow airbag wire when i put it back in

quote:

yeah it does, and the loom all seems fine, the connector into the sounder was firmly in so im guessing it may just be that
tom130691
Premium Member

30th Sep 08 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my mate corsa the horn sounded shit so h hit it and i wil make a differnt sound could try that lol
inside the horn there is a spining componant it is probly just stuck
use a volt meter find out if any power get to your horn
Toby
Premium Member

30th Sep 08 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
inside the horn there is a spining componant it is probly just stuck
use a volt meter find out if any power get to your horn

will give that a try
James_H

30th Sep 08 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plug that goes into the horn, the wires were broken on severel corsas ive found, see if there broken.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Sep 08 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are not broken as far as i can see, which is where they are going into the loom,
right smacked the horn and that didnt work.

Also took out the airbag and refitted it propelry and reset ecu but the ligth is still on, i will just have to bypass that just before the MOT,

Still need to sort the horn all connections are fine as far as i can see just need to get a multimetre on the job and see if im getting a voltage at the connecotr on the sounder if i am great get new sounder if not going to have to rip all wiring out pretty much i guess

[Edited on 30-09-2008 by CorsaB4ever]
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was you i would take out the airbag blub to get passed mot
ainsley_brader

1st Oct 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

airbag does not come into mot and never has done so!
Toby
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
airbag does not come into mot and never has done so!

the airbag light if illuminated is an mot fail regardless of airbag fitted or not.
steve101

1st Oct 08 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It shouldnt be an MOT fail.
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 08 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i dont want to risk it so i will bypass it today with two bits of wire and a 5amp fuse and im picking up a multimetre so will check horn, but i dont understand why the airbag ligth is on all i did was take out the airbag and replace it so maybe the horn not working and the aribag ligth remaining on is to do with one of the connecotrs in the dash
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 08 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right fixed the horn was a broken wire in the loom, dont know how it happened but its now fixed.

Airbag problem still there all connections on htis seem fine and it was fine until i unplugged it the other day to check the horn, im stuck for ideas
Cossie

2nd Oct 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to reset airbag light now !
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 08 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do i do this? tried reseting car ecu and had a look at airbag ecu but left that as didnt have a clue what to do with it
Cossie

2nd Oct 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not it's a special job for garage or vauxhall expensive from them !
Toby
Premium Member

2nd Oct 08 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and what do they do? just plug it into tech2 or whatever and reset it? how much should i be paying?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll