corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dell branded Microsoft OS XP Home disc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dell branded Microsoft OS XP Home disc
deano87

User status: Offline
10th Sep 08 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm talking an XP Home disc that was bundled with all the other software discs you get with Dell laptop/PCs.

Am I right in thinking this is just a standard XP Home OS disc, but with a Dell sticker on it? For example could I use to to format my missus' Packard Bell laptop, then use her reg key?

Welsh Dan

10th Sep 08 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think so, as I think some of them check the Bios to see if its a Dell system or whatever. However, I could be completely wrong. Google is your friend here

[Edited on 10-09-2008 by Welsh Dan]
John

10th Sep 08 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is an OEM disc that checks the BIOS as said.

It may work on the packard bell though, i've heard both stories of them working and not working, worth a try though.

It won't take the reg key though, it'll either install without one or it won't install.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Sep 08 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will install fine, but you won't be able to "activate" the copy without entering a serial. It'll work fine for 30days tho
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 08 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get as far as activating and can do it over the phone, try that.
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm really annoying. The missus created 3 master CD's for her Packard Bell, but being a typical woman has lost them.

I have 3 Masters from my old Packard Bell, so might try them first.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get the ISO for windows Xp home
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ISO?
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a package file, it's used with a disk burning program (Nero etc.) to burn a set of files to a CD-R
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And where do I get one of these?
Brett
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just use the Dell disc for gods sake. It'll install fine. You'll just need a genuine key to be able to activate it. I don't know where you work, but they're written on the side of every machine at my place. Worked fine for me the other day when I did a fresh install.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loafofbrett, sometimes the Dell one's DON'T work because the disk checks the BIOS and if it isn't a Dell BIOS, it doesnt work
Brett
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But i've installed with a Dell disc (the one's with the green face that say "operating system - Windows XP Pro") on several none branded machines, several times. Every time it's exactly the same. It installs fine and doesn't ask for a key. Then when you log into windows it'll ask you to activate, at which point you'll need a genuine serial. If you use one of these discs on a Dell machine, yes, it checks and it doesn't ask you to activate.

pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh, it'll spit the dummy out and ask for a geniune serial key and tell you how illegal using windows on more than one machine is.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt
Brett
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without seeming like i'm trying to cause an argument....it doesn't spit any dummy out. That windows will work absolutely fine for 30days (except updates). All you do, is click on the little keys on the system tray, then do a telephone activation. Find a serial from somewhere (whether it's been used before or not) and enter it in. It'll then give you a code to tell the operator. Then the operator will give you a working code. I've done it like 30 times, seriously. Ian has also done the same.
Brett
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OR.... If you have a serial which you know hasn't been used before, just click on 'activate online' and enter it, and job done I've u2u'd you about this Deano, as I can assist.
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try her serial first, and hope to doesn't go spasticated. If not, I'll ring up
Brett
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let us know how you get on
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, won't be done till next week. Going to check Packard Bell website out as it's pretty good.
pow
Premium Member

11th Sep 08 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Without seeming like i'm trying to cause an argument....it doesn't spit any dummy out. That windows will work absolutely fine for 30days (except updates). All you do, is click on the little keys on the system tray, then do a telephone activation. Find a serial from somewhere (whether it's been used before or not) and enter it in. It'll then give you a code to tell the operator. Then the operator will give you a working code. I've done it like 30 times, seriously. Ian has also done the same.

Yeah I know, I'm not argueing!

Just before, I have tried to restore a system with a Dell XPP disk and it wouldn't let me start the setup becuase it wasn't a Dell system
deano87

11th Sep 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that happenes it'll be ok, 'cause I'll just reboot and try something else
Corsa Sport Gav

11th Sep 08 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a dell branded version of vista and had no problems and i get all the updates too.
deano87

12th Sep 08 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam
Premium Member

12th Sep 08 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not just a Ghost image that's transferred to a newly formatted C: drive?

New Poll