corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ScrapHeap Challenge **Total Fix and a Con** (Long read)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ScrapHeap Challenge **Total Fix and a Con** (Long read)
BeArDy

User status: Offline
25th Aug 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well just back from what we call the scrapheap challage joke.
as some people know me and a few mates was going on scrapheap on the weekend just gone. So where do i start.
We arrive at the event an pull upto a farm where we find 4 blokes working an a vehicle we go over talking and ask is this your build, they reply with no we are the engineering team; we are here tp looked over one of the teams builds and we are making it better so it performs better or finish them off. So if you turn up at the event an they think its not going to do well then they work on it so it "Makes better TV"

We then get onto the event and double check the rules to make sure what we had been sent where right. They when onto explain the rules which had total changed from what we where told and where total stupid and not thought out. (there are only us and another team in the event)
1st game - Distance teams who wins gets 2 points team who looses gets 1 point
2nd game - Pitch and put again who wins gets 2 points team who looses gets 1 point
In case of a draw team who had won the distact game wins.
So we say look we have made a vechile which is good all around for this event so can play golf aswell as hit it far. If we would of known this we would of just made a machine which could hit a ball a million miles and say well no point playing the 2nd game as we have already won. to which they said humm ye did not think of that, we will have to think a 3rd game up. Nothing was planned everything as made up on the spot. So they think of a 3rd game on the spot.

So we go onto to play the 1st game and win.

We went onto play the 2nd game as we went first, starts playing and we get 1m from the hole within 2 shots. We went onto try putting but because we was using the machine; we was finding it hard an kept over shooting as it stated in the rules "Machines are allowed to be Hand reloaded BUT the rest had to be done mechanical" so we runs out of time and ends up 3m from hole.
Next team lines up starts playing, 3 shots in there machine fails around 3m from the hole. So they hang off the side and start swinging by hand and make the hole with the time limit.
So we kicks right off saying hold on a min in the rules it states the above and they have just broken the rules plus broken down, as if we would of known we could of done this by hand then where we was playing an we was 1m away we could of just tapped it in by hand and finish in 3 shots.
All the Engineering team where on are side aswell as all the film crew as they knew we had played by the rules and the other team had broken them meaning they should of been disqualified BUT because it was a draw now the director said again "It makes better TV" which we was total pissed off with.

So onto game 3, after the engineering team had fixed the other teams jeep as it had broken on the prevs game. They hammer 2 small red flags around 20m apart, tie off from one flag and closest to other flag after a single shot wins. This time the other team go's first BUT pulls up 2m infront of the flag and ties off. after taking there shot the Director realises they where in front and says " That shot will count as theres go, move back we will refilm the tie off as a dummy one so it looks like they shot from the flag when it go's out on TV". So are turn we pull upto the flag and move infront to same spot they went for and director shots back it up to the flag you have to go from there, where we kicked off again an they replay to "we are running out of time can you just take the shot" so we take the shot from the flag and are short by 1m meaning where out. We start kicking off big time at this point but Director was having non of it.

So we then go's over the see the Allstars (who are now called Dicks Diamonds) vechile and when filming stoped the engineering team had to go an explain how to work there machine as Dicks dimonds had not built it BUT thats how it will show on TV that Dick and his Diamonds built it in the scrapyard BUT the scrapyard has now gone and its now a film set.

So we loose and other team go's onto take the all stars where they get showed up and the all star batter them. While the other team was playing the final event the engineering team came over talking to us and said it was alot of bollox what had happened an its not about being fair or playing by the rules its about what makes good TV, the engineers where all EX scrap heap people who had been on the past an they said if they where not getting paid for working there they would not do it as its not about who makes the best vehcile; which in the start of the show 10 years ago it was, its all about making good TV now, no matter.

So very pissed off and angry we go off to the lunch tent where arguing carries off. A block comes over and asks whats gone on. 5mins into explaining he says "This is your first time on scrap heap challenge?" which i reply yes. he then go's onto explain he is from the team "The Biker Boys" who got into the final last year and everything which had happened to us is a common this on scrapheap. He then went onto tell us about what happened to them. Everyone who watchs scrapheap will know the biker boys got into the final which was to build something which could pull a plane. He said you told them what items you wanted there for the build and they would sorce the item for them. So on the day first one they had was scrap heap had got the wrong part from them meaning they could not go over 6mph BUT the main thing which kicked them in the nuts was, they where up agaist a team call "the rusty regement"; on the day the bikerboys worked the arse off to build this plane pull, where the other team did nothing at all, stood about talking etc BUT because they had to be 2 vehicles there on the day the engineering team built "the rusty regement" plane pull vehicle. The Biker boys went onto lose because scrap heap sorced the wrong part and to a vehicle which was not built by the other team. Which now makes sence as every show both vehicles are always finished on time and work perfect. Total con........

So in a nut shell Scrap heap challenge is aload of crap its a total fix aslong as it makes good TV it dosent matter what happens, how fair it is etc.
To say we are upset is an understatment as of all the golf machine which where there on the day (as they where 4 as they where filming another episode the next day on the same theme) ares was by far the best most refined to which all the engineering team agreed with we was just robbed being "Its all about making good TV"

On a final note a few people said is it not sour grapes we replyied with what aload of crap, as if both teams would of played by the rules and we would of lost then, we would of held are hands up an said the best team won.

We got shafted "to make good TV"

Plus there was loads more behind the scenes stuff which happened aswell to piss us off which was ok for one team but different for another, I am not going to post them as people would not understand unless they where with the build all the way threw to the end like transport etc…..

Ofcom comes to mind…..

Photos the follow....
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gutted

not very fair was it
chrex

25th Aug 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate TV shows!!...
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

write to them and complain get some money back for your expenses
Marc

25th Aug 08 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shocking! Although makes sense!
Daveskater
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maaate, proper con. At least we know what it's like now. I won't be watching it again if it's just totally fake like that.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
BeArDy

25th Aug 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trust me mate i have in the middle of writing an email now, and really thinking about contacting Ofcom over this as it has wasted my team and wasent even worth competing if its not fair...
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have spent that time finding me a corsa vxr engine
col

25th Aug 08 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds shit like
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Aug 08 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know it was a secret that the bits were always available whatever the teams needed, the engines always fire up and the vehicles are generally more reliable than the amount of televised engineering that goes in to them would suggest.
Claire

25th Aug 08 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only a game
Ben J

25th Aug 08 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Claire
It's only a game

Daveskater
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I didn't know it was a secret that the bits were always available whatever the teams needed, the engines always fire up and the vehicles are generally more reliable than the amount of televised engineering that goes in to them would suggest.
That's true, everything always works doesn't it They never have an engine not start and always find what they want

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Aug 08 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it particularly lucky that they find plane and boat parts in a car scrappy.
Colin

25th Aug 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not like the TV to hide the truth!!
Paul_J

25th Aug 08 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just said this to my dad... who's been saying for years that 'the show is a blatent fix'. Who just nodded and said he thought as much.

Like sourcing the parts and placing them in the scrap heap before the show. etc

Gutted for you mate When will this air on tv?
Hammer

25th Aug 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it was common knowledge that they plant all the parts within the 'scrapyard'?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a joke, you took the time to build something so they had a show but they just do what they want cos they reckon it makes better tv. In a show like that real life makes better tv, I've always thought that it was straight up, what you see is what actually happened, what's the point in getting 2 groups of people to build machines, believing that it's some straightforward challenges and the best machine wins, if they're just gonna fix it once the teams have put all the hard work in?

I don't blame you for being angry mate
Marc

25th Aug 08 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planting the parts is obvious, I didn't know they had "real" engineers on standby to make it good though, I was always impressed by these guys knowledge!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i knew the put things in the scrap yards but to let one team cheat is out of order
John

25th Aug 08 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know about them fixing who wins the show but the parts they need clearly weren't just lying about a scrapyard.

'Oh, that was lucky, i've just managed to find a perfectly good condition propeller lying in an old transit here'
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I knew they must plant the parts, with the different things they need week to week they wouldn't just all happen to be lying around there.

That's understandable imo, without those parts they're gonna have serious problems making machines work, but as with Marc I didn't know about the engineering team and I thought all the challenges were real
Colin

25th Aug 08 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have fucked off after the 1st director intervene, say to him see if this makes good TV you plank....cheerio, were offski!

Daveskater
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I find it particularly lucky that they find plane and boat parts in a car scrappy.
Another good point

It gets more and more fake the more you look into it.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Paul_J

25th Aug 08 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet in the first series they actually used the parts found in a scrap heap though.

I knew they'd plant parts in the scrap heap, just didn't realise the teams ASKED for the parts to be put there

Anotherwords blatently pre planning / designing the thing they're gonna make way before arriving.

So the whole 'brain storming' shown on tv is also bullshit.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ScrapHeap Challenge **Total Fix and a Con** (Long read) 23 database queries in 0.1903229 seconds