corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky Broadband.......... wankers!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky Broadband.......... wankers!
AdZ9

User status: Offline
9th Jul 08 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My estimated date for activation was yesterday, got home yesterday to find a voice mail msg on my phone and it said that the activation date may have changed, it proceeded to read out the sky.com url until it got to forward slash then its like the tape sped up and i didn't hear anything lol so i couldn't check here at work to find out, just rang them up and spoke to the woman and she said "oh well your line was activated yesterday" and i said i hadn't received my username/password and they said it had been sent on the 1st of July. I really don't remember seeing a username or password, has anyone else had Sky Broadband recently and sorted theres out? If so what did your username/password come with?

So pissed off, i did nothing last night as i thought i had no net, meant to be doing a freelance job for someone who needs it urgently and i could of got it done last night! Argggggggh
John

9th Jul 08 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you plugged your router in and see if it works?
AdZ9

9th Jul 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not yet as i was waiting for activation confirmation, didn't want to set it up to find out it didnt work and be pissed off, fact is they said on the phone it had changed date, but in actual fact it is activated!

Going to try it later after work, hopefully works and i can find my login details
John

9th Jul 08 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plug it in, you shouldn't need login details, the sky routers just work.
AdZ9

9th Jul 08 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh really? damn i'll be pissed even more i didn't try last night!
Nismo

9th Jul 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the SKY routers are allready pre-programmed
ed

9th Jul 08 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As has already been said. It even says it in the 1 page long instruction manual that only contains photos and very little words, and on the interactive CD that autostarts a very clear animated video on how to setup your internet.
AdZ9

9th Jul 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It did already set up straight away. i'm just pissed that i could of got on last night if i had known to try!

Its working now, shit ass slow though
AdZ9

9th Jul 08 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cancelling this shit tomorrow morning, have 8 days from activation to cancel...

done speed test and have received 20kb/s at the highest result!

just been reading the amount of complaints about sky broadband! Would rather take the plunge and pay £25 p/m for BT!
ed

9th Jul 08 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had a single problem with mine, and it's fucking fast.

Your slow speed is more likely to be where you live.
AdZ9

9th Jul 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It just doesn't seem set up right at all, on my network connections it just says "internet gateway connected" can't see any properties or anything, says its connected at 7.6mbps but its taking me ages to load pages, even on CS when its usually instant!

Rob_Quads

10th Jul 08 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
Cancelling this shit tomorrow morning, have 8 days from activation to cancel...

done speed test and have received 20kb/s at the highest result!

just been reading the amount of complaints about sky broadband! Would rather take the plunge and pay £25 p/m for BT!

What did you use for a speed test? Don't rely on a single one. Try a few i.e.

Download - http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/9/3/a9327df4-aeb5-46de-b438-d0f60da6fb54/Coral_Reef_Adventure_1080.exe
Download - http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/100MB_nonzero.bin
Download - http://www.mv.com/test/9MB.bin
Download - http://deleuze.hcoop.net/~rcy/bigfile
Download - http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/100meg.test

See what sort of speeds you get.

Going to a different provider will probably not make that much difference unless you change technologies i.e. ADSL -> ADSL2 or Cable Modem
AdZ9

10th Jul 08 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got up this morning to do a test (non peak time) at about 7am, turned it on and it wouldn't even do the speed test!

It says im connected at 7.6mbps but when i do the BT line test it says it can do a maximum of 5.5mbps so I think Sky are lying.
I can't be doing with 20kb/s downloads as the nature of my work (Graphic Design) requires me to download artwork, documents, images etc alot so i need it as fast as it can possibly be!

I've rung BT today and they said they can do my broadband etc just need to cancel Sky, going to ring them later and cancel the Sky broadband, stick with BT who i've always been with and have no troubles with.

From what I understand BT is different as its the ADSL2? and Sky etc is that LLU one which isn't as good, not 100% sure if thats correct though
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Jul 08 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work for sky.

you do get confirmation of the line activation through post, but all you need to do is jsut plug your router in and it will turn on soon as its activated.

my collegue got it last week and it all went smoothly.

AdZ9

10th Jul 08 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i got the information in the post the day after activation, knew i hadn't received it already!

Shame its going to waste though as i'm cancelling already after not even 24hours
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Jul 08 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why?
Rob_Quads

10th Jul 08 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9

From what I understand BT is different as its the ADSL2? and Sky etc is that LLU one which isn't as good, not 100% sure if thats correct though

Don't 'think' BT is anything different. AFAIK normal BT broadband is ADSL (I think they are looking to move to ADSL2 soon). LLU is normally a step up and will use ADSL2 which is better than ADSL (max of 24mb vs 8mb - obviously who gets that depends on line) On mine going from ADSL -> ADSL2 went from 5/6mb to 13/14mb which is about what you would expect.
AdZ9

10th Jul 08 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
why?

Paying the 16mb/pm package and it says i'm "connected" at 7.6mbps and in the router stats it says its the 76XX etc, but my browsing is shit slow, even took a good 20-30 secs to load a CS page, then i did some speed tests and it was around 16-20kb/s download speed on average over 20 tests (some in peak, some out of peak times)

I only have 8 days to get out of it from Tuesday, so i only have 6 days left, can't risk waiting a few days to see if it sorts it out or not, i may give it till monday but not sure
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th Jul 08 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well you know they cant speed up your line right? thats down to BT.

but it should be faster, dave was getting 900kb/s from his 8mb line..

sure its not your computer?
AdZ9

10th Jul 08 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computer is about 2 months old, was built from the newest and best components out at the moment (jammy i know) so i know it can't be that.

Could be the line, i live in a flat but theres only 4 of the flats in the block, its only 1 storey high.

I asked about getting an engineer out to check but was t old it would be £168 so i swiftly said not to worry about it!

My line atteuration (whatever the word is) was like 38db and the noise was 9.2db not sure if thats good or not?
dannymccann

10th Jul 08 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does buying a better quality line filter (ADSL and Phone filter) make any differnece. My Line Attenuation for downstream is 63DB and Margin of 11DB. I know im a fair distance from the exchange but for christ sake I have BT upto 8mb and I get a max of 180kb/s download, at non-peak times, my IP Profile is 1500
John

10th Jul 08 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are a fair distance from the exchange thats whats causing it, a filter could possibly make it better but as long as it's not faulty the line length will be the biggest factor.
AdZ9

10th Jul 08 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 1 mile from the exchange, checked today
Sunz

10th Jul 08 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

f8ck havinf 20kb downloads..
johnhara1

10th Jul 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear, i couldnt cope with 20kb/s i get between 1800 and 2400kb/s downloads with Virgin Media's 20mb connection.

[Edited on 10-07-2008 by johnhara1]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll