corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky
mwg

User status: Offline
1st Dec 06 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know whether this should be in house day or geek day or what so put it in here.

Thinking about getting Sky+ in my room. I dont have an external aerial in there at the moment so thats part of the reason.

On the Sky website it says standard installation is free. But it doesn't say what a standard or non standard installation is so how do you know if you are going to have to pay extra
Brett
Premium Member

1st Dec 06 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'll be standard, if you say i recommended you we both gat sky+ boxes half price
Nismo

1st Dec 06 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Call them thats the easy option , pretty sure its a free phone number.
Dean_W

1st Dec 06 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i had mine installed, i called up, then come and fitted it. Easy
mwg

1st Dec 06 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
it'll be standard, if you say i recommended you we both gat sky+ boxes half price

really? may be worth doing something like that

I'll have to call them when I'm not at work.

Reason I am wondering if its a standard installation is cos the walls of my house are about 500mm thick solid stone and I'm 3 storeys up at the top of the house
Brett
Premium Member

1st Dec 06 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw the adavert last night, in all honesty I actually think the "recommender" gets a free sky+ box and the "new customer" gets it for half price. But then of course there's a further subscription charge on top too.
drunkenfool

1st Dec 06 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its 3 stories up then it might not be a standard installation, you'll have to give them a bell. We got sky plus with multiroom here are the installer did such a messy job, wires not tacked to the wall outside, massive unsealed messy holes coming into the house and he didnt even ask us where the tv was going so theres not quite enough cable in the lounge to hide it around the skirting boards to the tv
Pablo

1st Dec 06 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine gets fitted week tomorrow and then I can get the free sky broadband too
Dean_W

1st Dec 06 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
free sky broadband

Just looked at the Sky site, i can get up to 8Meg for a fiver a month.

Anyone have any experience of Sky broadband?
BigSte

1st Dec 06 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky are really good at offering broadband but has anyone actually got it? I joined Sky in Sept cos I cancelled my previous broadband and thought I might as well pay a bit more and have sky tv and free broadband.
They originally told me begining of Nov, then said beginning of Dec and had a letter yesterday saying 'New Year'!! so still have no broadband at home.

As for Sky TV - they tried charging me £99 for Sky+ box and £60 installation. I told them I couldn't afford £160 so they said they would give me free installation. I then said I would only have it if they didn't charge me, so they gave me a 'graded' box. basically you have sky on a 8 day approval and apparently a 'graded' box is one that someone has had in their house and changed their mind in the 8 days., so didn't cost me a penny.....

just want feckin broadband now
Pablo

1st Dec 06 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My rents have sky broadband its fine, I have been told I can gewt a 3mb line for free so I wont complain lol
myke

1st Dec 06 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm on sky broadband, and it seems ok.
There own service wasn't available at the time of installation, so i'm on the bt equivalent package, 8mb 25gig d/l limit for £17. Will automatically change to the £5 package when it's available in the area.
James_DT

1st Dec 06 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on the Sky Broadband Max package, the £10/month one. It's unlimited and upto 16meg, but we're so far from the exchange that we only get 8meg. Can't fault it.
Has a 768kb upload too, which is handy for torrents etc.
mwg

5th Dec 06 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spoke to a fella at Comet on Sunday and he said that standard installation is up to 1st floor. And I'm on the 2nd floor. So he said I'll have to ring Sky up and see how much it would cost for installation cos it wont be free.
antscorsa

5th Dec 06 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for the standard installation and if they get round and say its another 100 to fit, offer the fitter like 60 for his own pocket.
what my dad did to pull us some strings and get us a free box
C2RL R

5th Dec 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an independant installer when i switched from normal sky digital to sky+ HD because the original sky guy was a prick.
He wouldnt go on the roof to put the dish up coz they aren't insured so i had to do it. He wouldn't go in the loft to run the cable correctly either. He wanted to just throw the cable over the roof and drop down the front of the house and then drill a hole through the wall and pass the cable through. I told him i wasn't happy with that and he got all arsey. I told him to just leave all the bits for me and fuck off for all the use he was but he said he wasn't allowed to leave the job until he had seen the sky tv working so we ended up passing the cable through the letter box temporarily to get it in the house. After he fucked off i had to re-install it the correct way.

Trust me mate, your better off looking in the yellow pages for independant installers that say "any installation possible" in their advert. The guys that turned up for me were spot on, they went straight up on the roof and ran the extra cable exactly how i wanted it.
Rob_Quads

5th Dec 06 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much was the sky installation and how much was the independant one?

If you want them to do more than a standard install its fair enough they kick up a fuss as he as an individual will not get anything extra for a complicated install - if anything it may take longer and thus get less jobs done in the day = not hitting targets.

Also if they are not insured to go on the roof its fair enough they don't want to as they know they would get sod all if there wasn accident - or would you have been happy to pay out a few grand if he fell?
C2RL R

5th Dec 06 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt i would have had to pay him anything if he'd gone up there and fallen. fuck all to do do with me if he'd decided to risk it. As i said before, i went up when he told me he cant. The point i'm making is sky installers are shit and you get what you pay for. Free installations are crap installations. I paid 60 quid for mine and it was spot on. They ran the cable correctly instead of slinging it over the roof and then through a hole in the wall. Would you be happy with a random looking wire coming into your house through a hole in a wall?? Maybe you would but i wouldnt.

New Poll