corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 6M of the most expensive speaker cable?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 6M of the most expensive speaker cable?
John

User status: Offline
9th Jul 08 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Objective measurements and properly carried out double-blind subjective tests both confirm that the only speaker-cable parameter which affects the loudspeaker sound is its resistance. The resistance should be less than about 5 % of the loudspeaker’s nominal impedance.

A suitably low-resistance cable is obtainable very cheaply and will give results audibly indistinguishable from your QED silver anniversary X-Tube.
ed

9th Jul 08 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are still many people who will suffer the placebo effect and waste money though.
John

9th Jul 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SRI_Luke has read some stuff on avforums though.

I get a lot of my information from the net, there is a bit of a skill/experience in picking out of that information what is relevant and what is just made up though.
Tim
Site Administrator

9th Jul 08 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monster Cables vs Coat Hangers anyone?

Admittedly my cabling wasn't cheap, but that was mainly because I bi-wired the fronts/centre. Don't really care how free of oxygen the copper was
Rob_Quads

10th Jul 08 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't beat the old coat hanger thread - http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?s=97d4a3c39d247bf955a57b3953326a34&p=15412&postcount=28
Dom

10th Jul 08 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was just about to mention the Coat Hangers, it's a good experiment but then again it's solid core vs stranded cable, so i'm not suprised it was top.

quote:

HDMI is different because it's digital. Speaker wire isn't. You'll only notice a difference in PQ and SQ when the HDMI cable is around 7m or longer

It's around the 50m mark where using cheap HDMI can cause problems with the error correction leading to artifcats or over correction appearing in the picture.
And i agree it's not worth spending 100's on a digital cable but i still believe purchasing a decent shielded cable (£20 or so) is worth it, and if you're really worried then don't run it next to electric cables.

And i agree with Ed, a lot of it is the placebo effect - i agree that you will notice difference in speaker cable between cheapy cheap stuff and £50-100 a metre but £9k is absurd, a few insulated coat hangers would do nicely

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Besides, you would use this with some top of the line b&o b&w speakers etc

B&O - seriously!??! You ever heard the stuff?! it's just overpriced fashion accessories! Rather a set of Quad Electrostatics!
But if you were spending 9k on cable then you've probably got the cash for a custom install, speaker cabs the works etc

[Edited on 10-07-2008 by Dom]
cunningham

10th Jul 08 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a monster cable both scart and hdmi att he end of the day i spent 1k on a tv whats 60 quid more on a cable lol
Dan
Premium Member

10th Jul 08 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

58 more than needed?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
jacko198

10th Jul 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Was just about to mention the Coat Hangers, it's a good experiment but then again it's solid core vs stranded cable, so i'm not suprised it was top.

quote:

HDMI is different because it's digital. Speaker wire isn't. You'll only notice a difference in PQ and SQ when the HDMI cable is around 7m or longer

It's around the 50m mark where using cheap HDMI can cause problems with the error correction leading to artifcats or over correction appearing in the picture.
And i agree it's not worth spending 100's on a digital cable but i still believe purchasing a decent shielded cable (£20 or so) is worth it, and if you're really worried then don't run it next to electric cables.

And i agree with Ed, a lot of it is the placebo effect - i agree that you will notice difference in speaker cable between cheapy cheap stuff and £50-100 a metre but £9k is absurd, a few insulated coat hangers would do nicely

quote:

B&O - seriously!??! You ever heard the stuff?! it's just overpriced fashion accessories! Rather a set of Quad Electrostatics!
But if you were spending 9k on cable then you've probably got the cash for a custom install, speaker cabs the works etc

b&o do make good speakers, by no means the best ofcorse

xa0s
Banned

11th Jul 08 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still gunna argue about the 7m vs 50m thing.
Dom

11th Jul 08 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

quote:

quote:

b&o do make good speakers, by no means the best ofcorse

I would put them on par with McLarens - look the part but sound like a cup-and-string setup. To be honest, you wouldn't pay the asking price for B&Os, a lot better stuff out there - Meridian, Quad etc.
xa0s
Banned

11th Jul 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quad FTW.
Tiger

11th Jul 08 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speakers?

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm
SVM 286

11th Jul 08 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by bradgsi
That is daft

Not if you've got comparable equipment and money to burn Brad.
It is when you haven't had an ear transplant from a bat. Human hearing isn't that sensitive.

The sort of chap who's spent more on his Hi-Fi than most people spend on their home is hardly going to buy ten quid a metre QED stuff though Ed.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll