corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Amp Recommendations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amp Recommendations
Neo

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 08 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amp seems to have pack up over the weekend and not sure what to get to replace it.

Cant be too expensive, and i don't need speakers as i already have them in set up in the room.

Price target of about 100 as its only for a bedroom. Needs at least 3 Aux ins and optical in.

Links Please

drunkenfool

23rd Jun 08 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=437636

ash_corsa

23rd Jun 08 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty here

RicherSounds
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=437636

Full stops still not working

Bit out of my range tbh
drunkenfool

23rd Jun 08 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted, it was about £550 new so a pretty decent amp! Im gonna stick it on the AV forums when im back in the UK next week anywya, just thought id give corsasport a first chance Woke up this morning and I seem to be able to type norvmally, although I shouldnt jinx it!
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might check back with you after i get paid, looked at the stats of it and its sounds mint.

Maybe a U2U in a week or so
Dom

23rd Jun 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You after an AV amp or stereo amp?
But richersounds is always a winner, some of the cambridge audio amps are turning out to be excellent
drunkenfool

23rd Jun 08 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Might check back with you after i get paid, looked at the stats of it and its sounds mint.

Maybe a U2U in a week or so

Cool matey, as i said, im still living in spain for another week anyway so no massive rush. If you're interested let me know and you get first dibs, otherise ill just stick it on the AV forums
Doug

23rd Jun 08 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt sell it to me based on our previosu negotiations.
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
But richersounds is always a winner, some of the cambridge audio amps are turning out to be excellent

Mainly Audio, dont require Video abilities really

I had a decent goodmans one, however it seems to not turn on, or when it does doesnt output sound

Annoyingly i cant even replace it with the same model
Dom

23rd Jun 08 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Years ago, i had a goodmans but the thing just packed up.
Personally i would richer sounds it or ebay for something like a Denon (PMA-250 are brilliant, brother has one, 16years old and still going strong!).
Or £150 mark gets your a rotel power amp and pre amp setup, brilliant gear again!
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might be purchasing that link you u2u'd me. How good in comparison is it with the rotel power amp ?
James

23rd Jun 08 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Pardon my stupidity but what's the difference? I'm looking at getting an amp setup soonish.
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some amps only do audio, some do video, so if you have 1 input on your TV for example, but 3 things you want to connect, you can attach them to the amp, and then use it to choose which you want.
James

23rd Jun 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see, I didn't know you could do that.

But I guess for example if I connected my PS3 to it, I would lose the HD quality unless I had an AV Reciever that supports HD?

[Edited on 23-06-2008 by James]
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah some have HDMI in and out so you wouldnt loose any quality
James

23rd Jun 08 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about if I bought one without HDMI but wanted to run my PS3's audio through it but the PS3 video direct to the TV (so not to lose the HD quality), is that possible?
xa0s
Banned

23rd Jun 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
What about if I bought one without HDMI but wanted to run my PS3's audio through it but the PS3 video direct to the TV (so not to lose the HD quality), is that possible?

Yes.

That's how the skanks do it.
James

23rd Jun 08 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Stupid]How would I do that?[/Stupid]
Cavey

23rd Jun 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had HDMI to my monitor, and then you can choose to put the audio through the scart lead thing, so just a usual Aux-in input into an amp.

Because my monitor is old, and my PC one, it's HDMI - HDI, so doesn't transmit the sound, i used the scart thing, into my PC and then through my PC speakers.

Sounds like a pain in the arse, but it's not too bad, can also have music in the background from my PC then if i'm playing something like Pro Evo
Neo

23rd Jun 08 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back to the point of this thread...links to fair amps for around a ton plz
ash_corsa

23rd Jun 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You wouldnt lose the quality with a decent AV amp mate, some even upscale non HD images to HD.
If you really didnt want to though, you could send PS3 straight to TV with HDMI audio off and then send the amp the audio via optical (fibre optic) this would give the best possible sound as its in dolby digital

Sorry for the hi-jack buddy, back to the original topic!
Dom

24th Jun 08 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Pardon my stupidity but what's the difference? I'm looking at getting an amp setup soonish.

AV Amps/receivers/Sound processors have all the decoders to process Dolby Surround/Digital, TrueHD, DTS, THX etc for films.
Sound processors is the just above - has the decoders and preamp (input source switching, volume/EQ controls etc) and requires external power-amps before feeding the speakers. They also tend not to deal with Video input sources.
AV Amp is a Sound processor (so has all the decoders etc) but has an integrated amplifier(s). So it's an all in one unit.
AV Receiver is the above, but also includes a Tuner (radio).

On the hifi side of things, you're just dealing with stereo audio. So either an integrated Amp (preamp and amplifiers in one box) or separate preamp and power amp(s).

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
I might be purchasing that link you u2u'd me. How good in comparison is it with the rotel power amp?

If you're only doing stereo then the rotels (remember you need both a preamp and a power amp) will be a lot better, but to get the most out of them you'll need a decent pair of speakers. And you can pick up some Arcam/Cyrus stuff fairly cheap as well. But things start getting expensive especially when you can mono-block power amps (so one per channel/speaker). It's worth going down this route if you plan a full overhaul of your system, otherwise for a replacement to your Goodman's on a limited budget then i would shop for a Cambridge Audio, or a second hand Denon or Nad

If you want to do AV video switching and Dolby digital, multi-channel stuff then get the AV Receiver. If you want to get serious then a separate stage multi-channel system is what i would plan, but you're starting to look at a lot of money

[Edited on 24-06-2008 by Dom]

New Poll