corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop HDD...Now a data recovery thread!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop HDD...Now a data recovery thread!!
Cosmo

User status: Offline
17th Jun 08 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sisters laptop has gone tits up when she did a Windows Update (XP) and now wont load into windows properly (will turn on fine, etc.). Im guessing other than using a recovery disk and starting from scratch their is no way to fix this so the stuff on her HDD will still be there?

I have a HDD caddie here and have tried to attach it to my computer and get the data off it that way, but getting some I/O error - so anyone know whats going on here and give me some ideas as to how to fix this without wiping the HDD - or atleast getting the data first!!

[Edited on 17-06-2008 by Cosmo]
John

17th Jun 08 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if the hard drive is physically broken or not.

If it's just windows all you do is install it without formatting anything, all the data will still be there.
Cosmo

17th Jun 08 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Depends if the hard drive is physically broken or not.

If it's just windows all you do is install it without formatting anything, all the data will still be there.

So if I just use the recovery disk without formatting it should be fine - aslong as the HDD is OK!?
John

17th Jun 08 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about a recovery disc, that could wipe the drive and just install a copy of a partition.

Would have to make sure it was an XP disc.
Cosmo

17th Jun 08 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think Ive both here, will give it a go using the XP disk and then if not will use the recovery one.
John

17th Jun 08 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure when using the xp disc you don't tell it to format at any point, even try the repair option if you want, I was doubtfull but used it and got it up and running again.
_Allan_

17th Jun 08 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The three recovery disks I've used in the past have all given the option to install windows only or full format. I'd just read the menus very carefully
Cosmo

17th Jun 08 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ended up having to format the drive as repair didnt work

Still, that'll teach her not to back up her shit.
Dom

17th Jun 08 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounded like your caddie is a little naffed if it's giving your I/O errors and the drive is still working. But get hold of GetDataBack and run it on the drive, you might still be able to pull stuff off it
Cosmo

17th Jun 08 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Sounded like your caddie is a little naffed if it's giving your I/O errors and the drive is still working. But get hold of GetDataBack and run it on the drive, you might still be able to pull stuff off it

Caddie was new Will try it on another HDD and see if it works with that!

Will try running GetDataBack on it though, cheers
Cosmo

17th Jun 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is getdataback the best thing to use, or is there a free programme thats just as good?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jun 08 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be not reading that drive for a few reasons - ATA level password on the drive, unpatched OS that doesn't support large drives, old BIOS etc. on your computer. You should always be able to get data off very easily, even if you have to take ownership of the files which takes a while.

Unless the drive actually failed of course - but this was after software install?

GetDataBack is kind of the standard if you are in that position. Budget a fair amount of time for it though, my last one was 30 hours, not sure on drive size, wasn't massive.

New Poll