corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lots of negative camber after fitting Coilovers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lots of negative camber after fitting Coilovers
Bolino

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 08 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I fitted my Coilovers to my corsa at the weekend and now have a lot of negativecamber on the front.

Has anyone else who has fitted coilovers ever come along this problem before.

The car drives ok but slightly pulls to the left.

Any help please..
Corsa_Joel

2nd Jun 08 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably worth getting the tracking done and your wheels balanced.
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels have just been done so there ok.

Ive spoken to a company near me who do 4 wheel alignment and they said it would cost £60+.
Fro

2nd Jun 08 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can move the hub in/out a bit which will give you a little adjustment over the camber of the wheel. Had to pull my mates out a bit as it was rubbing on the shock.
jimmy 2.1

2nd Jun 08 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What coilovers are they? Are they FK ones? If so they have camber adjustment on them.

The bottom mounting hole (on the coilover) is elongated. If you slacken off both bolts, you'll be able to move the coilover and see the hub's camber move. Get it some where near then take it to get the tracking done

If there not FK's then i don't know

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by jimmy 2.1]
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
You can move the hub in/out a bit which will give you a little adjustment over the camber of the wheel. Had to pull my mates out a bit as it was rubbing on the shock.

Yeah ive tried that and ive put on some 5mm spacers to clear the coils.

Ill have to give it another go tonight and just get the car tracked normally with out them doing the camber.
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 2.1
What coilovers are they? Are they FK ones? If so they have camber adjustment on them.

The bottom mounting hole (on the coilover) is elongated. If you slacken off both bolts, you'll be able to move the coilover and see the hub's camber move. Get it some where near then take it to get the tracking done

If there not FK's then i don't know

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by jimmy 2.1]

There not FK's there TA Technik which a lot of the VW boys use but the have the camber adjust on them like on the FK's.

I think ill just have to have a little play aorund with them tonight.
Siberia

2nd Jun 08 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you must get it aligned with a lazer aligner... your camber and toe will be all over the place...

the car will drive like a pig and you will knacker your front tyres in no time...

from experience of having fk coilovers the camber adjustment on them is a complete ball ache...

persoanlly i would set the camber on them to a reasanble amount and then get some sort of topmounts with camber adjustment on them...

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by Siberia]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Jun 08 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will want the alignment done on the car mate. Although it doesn't look much it's probably well out. You'll soon goose a set of tyres if you leave it!

I had mine done again this morning at a cost of £35 for camber/tracking. Which is a cheaper one. I've paid £50 for it previously.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
You will want the alignment done on the car mate. Although it doesn't look much it's probably well out. You'll soon goose a set of tyres if you leave it!

I had mine done again this morning at a cost of £35 for camber/tracking. Which is a cheaper one. I've paid £50 for it previously.

What was the company that you used to do both. Thats a good price
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Jun 08 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used Supertracker or Protyre mate!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I used Supertracker or Protyre mate!

What type of guages do the use then cause all the ones near me say that they wont be able to put the guages on the wheels as the car is too low.
LukeD

2nd Jun 08 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get your tracking done ASAP. i made the mistake of leaving it, due to having a busy period with work.

Left it one month, and front wheels were buggered. it was off the scale for tracking apparently. and go to a garage which uses the old method of tracking (non laser) where they use some sort of mirror, and therefore you wont need to go up ramp.
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeD
Get your tracking done ASAP. i made the mistake of leaving it, due to having a busy period with work.

Left it one month, and front wheels were buggered. it was off the scale for tracking apparently. and go to a garage which uses the old method of tracking (non laser) where they use some sort of mirror, and therefore you wont need to go up ramp.

Ok cool, trying to find one is going to be a bitch of a job.

I checked the tyre pressures at lunch and noticed that 2 offside ones were at 36psi, rear nearside was 35 psi and the front nearside was 32psi.

Now put 32psi in all round and it drives a lot better, just need to sort the camber out a bit when I get home and Bobs your Uncle.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Jun 08 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what coilovers are they?
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TA Technik, a lot of VW boys use them and to be honest there just as good as the fk's I had a few years back.
Jake

2nd Jun 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to kiplin motorist centre in denbigh industrial estate(bletchley) They've just got in a proper 4 wheel laser alignment machine, ask them if they'll do it cheaper for cash. I've tried to get the tracking done on mine using the old school laser alignment and although they could get the gauges on the wheel, they couldnt adjust the toe because of the camber not being right, it went on their ramps about 4 times and still couldn't do it. Idiots
Bolino

2nd Jun 08 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate ill give them a ring later.

Just noticed that your selling the gsi. Whys that and what you getting next then?
Jake

2nd Jun 08 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you ring them, say Ben who works at the garage on the end told you about them Mention that you've got a gsi.

As for selling the jessy, ive done everything i wanted to do to do, and I'd like a change, had it for a couple of years now. I'm looking at mk2/mk3 golfs at the moment but cant find anything decent

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by jake]

New Poll