corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Camber problems?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Camber problems?
mwg

User status: Offline
   22nd Jan 05 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took all my wheels off today to clean them and found on the front ones that they are wearing very quickly on the inside of the tyre! They have only done about 10k miles but have worn a hell of alot compared to the rest of the tyre which is like new. They arent illegal yet but wont be long before they are at this rate! Tracking was done when the car was lowered and the alloys were put on so presume its the camber thats knackered! Only lowered it 30mm aswell. Anyway of getting the camber corrected or is it not adjustable? HELP!!!
mwg

22nd Jan 05 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

offset is ET45 and they 7 inch x 17 inch alloys
infinitycorsa

22nd Jan 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tracking? perhaps
infinitycorsa

22nd Jan 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wrong air presure in tyres
TOMAS

22nd Jan 05 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it on a four wheel aligner and have camber measured. Any more than 1 deg negative and they will wear! You can file the top bolthole of the damper leg to bring camber back or buy some eccentricated topmounts if you are using coilovers...
mwg

22nd Jan 05 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by infinitycorsa
wrong air presure in tyres

nope it isnt that cos too much and it wears in the middle and too little and it wears both edges
hopper

22nd Jan 05 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been lucky on both of my sri's. both were lowered 40mm and i never had trouble wearing tyres, i always set the tracking to tow in slightly though. it wont be down to tyre preasures either, if it was ud either wear both outer edges due to being underinflated or the centre due to overinflation. the only other thing is has yours got power steering and do u use full lock alot

[Edited on 22-01-2005 by hopper]
CorsAsh

22nd Jan 05 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have well over 1 degree neg camber on my fronts, it wears quickly but never lets of of the road
TOMAS

22nd Jan 05 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ in the dry maybe but the wet it will be horrid. Seriously Ash, since I got those eccentric topmounts and Billie Grp A's ive played around with camber a LOT and ive found exactly 1 deg of neg camber at 60mm to be spot on and reduces tyre wear.
CorsAsh

22nd Jan 05 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually mate, its not bad in the wet. In the dry, I have to really push it before it lets go, in the wet it grips for a while, then you get some understeer, lift off the throttle and it lines up nicely again...

I'm only 40mm lowered, so the effects probably aren't as noticeable as yours - plus you have a bigger engine than me, which'll make any niggles more apparent I guess?
TOMAS

22nd Jan 05 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair do's but if you ever get chance to play around with camber try it at 1 deg and you'll see what I mean. yes with the 2.0XE its a bit of a fight with understeer but if you loosen the back end up a bit (by removing FRONT ARB) you get a damn good balance. I still want more oversteer in mine - its just so damn hard to get the back end to step out...
CorsAsh

22nd Jan 05 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No ARBs anywhere on mine, hehe, ah the joys of 1.2 spec levels
mwg

23rd Jan 05 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna get it put on a wheel alignment machine and see what the camber is.

TOMAS - I dont have coilovers so is there any other way of adjusting the camber if I find that to be the problem
Mistamist

23rd Jan 05 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY it, if you have a fairly decent spirit level, put it on the alloy and see if the bubble is out at all, i did this when i lowered mine and they are good, tracking was out slightly.

also before playing with top mounts, if they are out at all, try getting some new bushes or some poly bushes as they may be worn and the wishbone may be sitting further out.
TOMAS

23rd Jan 05 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 had roll bars all-round.

Yes the cheap effective DIY method is to file away the top bolt hole of the damper leg lugs, to elongate it. This will allow you to slide the camber in and out. Make sure you have enough metal on you damper legs though before you attempt this...
mwg

1st Feb 05 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I am going to see if the tracking is out anyway and see what the camber is but one of my mates reckons if I was to put 16" wheels on with a width of 195 then the camber wouldnt be half as much of a problem as it is with the 205 wide 17s? Is he right?
TOMAS

1st Feb 05 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Camber is a fixed angle regardless of what size wheels. Running silly camber with very low profile tyres can give you less grip than silly camber with deep profile as the walls of the tyre have more 'give' to compensate the camber.
mwg

1st Feb 05 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone has just mentioned to me about getting some 'Camber' bolts which replace the 2 bolts that hold the shock to the hub... this possible to do on my car and where would I get them from, sounds expensive!

Would any garage be able to file away the top bolt of the damper leg lugs as I do not have a clue what that involves and would have to get a garage to do it for me!

[Edited on 01-02-2005 by corsa_boy69]
Will94

1st Feb 05 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get them from demon tweeks, think they are made by whiteline. Jus give them a call and they will send you the thread size you need. When i checked a few months ago tho they didnt have them in stock, and with the carriage charge they work out about £40 just for a pair of nuts & bolts! A m8 of mine had them and said they did the job tho, jus needed the tracking re-set after the camber had been adjusted.
mwg

2nd Feb 05 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think I am going to go with the camber bolts, spoke to someone that is in the know and he said they screw the handling up! Recommended what TOMAS said about eccentric top mounts or getting the tracking adjusted so its 10 degrees further out than it should be! Waiting for him to reply to see if he reckons that will compensate for the camber.

Oh and he reckons I drive too slow round corners if there is hardly any wear on the rest of the tyre lol
TOMAS

2nd Feb 05 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What suspension do you have fitted, eccentric topmounts are only really for coilovers although you can get them to work withe regular fixed spring dampers.

All depends on how much metal is on the lugs of your dampers as to weather you can elongate the top hole outwards with a file...

I know you cant really on Spax as there's not much meat on them.
mwg

2nd Feb 05 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cobra -30mm springs and shocks......
TOMAS

2nd Feb 05 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd try getting it re-alined and check what the cambers at, TBH camber shouldnt be far out down 30mm, depends on how well designed the lugs on the dampers are, if Cobra have took there time to work out what angle to drill the holes at then you shouldnt have a problem, but I believe Cobra are budget arent they?

Either way get a readout and work it from there...

New Poll