corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How much do you have........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much do you have........
AdZ9

User status: Offline
28th May 08 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... spare after your outgoings/bills a month to yourself?

Me and my girlfriend have been offered a flat to rent off a friends partner, in a lovely location and its a nice big 1 bedroom flat in a quiet cul de sac road. As we know him we would just rent off him so would have no fee's to pay for references etc just the £530 a month rent fee to him. (Split between us so 265 each).

We both work at the same place and its closer to work than my house is at the moment so petrol consumption would cut down, and obviously we will both be going from the same place each day so we can car share.

After my monthly outgoings of Mobile/Loan/Car Ins/Gym membership i have about £800/850 left for the month to myself. If we take this place about £400/450 will go towards the flat a month to cover rent/bills/sky/bb (maybe virgin media). So it would leave me with circa £350-400 a month for myself, which will also cover petrol a month (probably about £40-60 a month) so realistically about £300 a month to myself spare.

I'm trying to gauge whether or not £300-350 a month free is enough to live on and have the occasional night out etc, what do you think? Is there anyone else in a similar situation and how do you find it?

Cheers
--DAN--

28th May 08 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say thats plenty, when you get your own place you tend to find you enjoy quiet nights in etc anyway, so don't tend to spend as much on going out.
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i know what you mean, last year ii rented a 3bed house with 2 mates and we each put £500 a month in which wasn't to bad as my loan and ins wasnt as much as this year.

With a partner you spend alot of time in like you say, im sensible with my money too so wouldn't get into debt etc
MarkM

28th May 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you need to buy food from the £300 a month?

If so your talking say £150+ a month between you both to feed the two of you....
Colin

28th May 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats plenty to live on, cut back to 1 car between you's if possible aswell!!
BYRON

28th May 08 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be plenty, My girlfriend has about that to herself a month.
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
Would you need to buy food from the £300 a month?

If so your talking say £150+ a month between you both to feed the two of you....

We said abotu £150 a month between us both, last year with my 2 mates it was usually like a big shop once a month then bought little things if needed on the fly type thing. Good thing is as theres only 2 of us we would eat together etc, wouldn't need to buy 2 packs of things to feed 3 people etc.

Colin i don't think were in a position to just get one car i'm afraid!

I've been looking at different options aswell for things like Sky/Broadband etc. I need broadband due to my line of work (graphic design). We decided we would only need certain channels for sky which adds up to £18 a month (no movies or sports) and instead of £25 a month for BT broadband i saw Sky BB is £10 a month if were in a Sky area, which i think we are.

Certain bills we don't know 100% due to amount of usage etc so its hard to work out. The workings out i've done roughly are

Rent - £530
Council tax - £90-100 (Tax Band A)
Gas - £40ish in winter and prob £10ish in summer
Leccy - £35
Contents insurance - £20ish usually (is this monthly or yearly)
Water - £30ish
TV License- £12 (possibly look at paying it in one go)
Broadband - £24.99 (from BT) / £10 if Sky
Home phone - £10.50 Line rental and BT’s Unlimited Weekend Plan (which is free)
Sky - £36 or £18 without movies with £30 one off installation payment. (Sky package includes Movies/Music/Entertainment/Style which is food etc/Kids)
Food - £150 a month
Fuel - £40-60 to/from work (6.5 miles from flat to work so about 12 a day so 60 a week)

Thats about £1000 so 500 each. Ill be left with about £300 spare a month to get things i want etc.
DaveB

28th May 08 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its a flat, are their any 'maintenance' charges to the block that will be incurred aswell? I pay £80 a month for those on mine
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah not that i know of mate, the guy we would rent off owns the flat. Its only one of 2 flats there. He recently bought a pub which had a flat above it which is where he lives now
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th May 08 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm soon going to be paying £550 Mortgage, £112 utility/maintenance, ~£50 on insurances and I bring in ~1200 after tax.

Then the extras like internet and phone, maybe even sky if I get cocky

Car is paid off, but I'm paying ~60 a month for insurance, and enough diesel to take me 15miles each way will also need adding (4miles each way atm)

I think that's managable, I'll just have to shop sensibly with food until I get used to what comes and goes each month and I *hope* i'll be fine

Going out is for losers anyway, right

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Colin

28th May 08 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My monthly outgoings are:

£250 mortgage
£40 for TV/BB/Phone line
£40 gas/electric
Council tax is £90 but I dont pay cos im a full time student.
Food - vairies.

Yearly:

£135 TV license
£120-ish Buildings/contents

If your worried about cash flow then get a seperate bank account & each put x-amount in each time on the day your paid by bank transfer to pay the bills, then you know what your left to play with yourself.

I mentioned drop down to one car as it would save you a fortune & if you both work at the same place would be easy to do.

[Edited on 28-05-2008 by Colin]
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
My monthly outgoings are:

£250 mortgage
£40 for TV/BB/Phone line
£40 gas/electric
Council tax is £90 but I dont pay cos im a full time student.
Food - vairies.

Yearly:

£135 TV license
£120-ish Buildings/contents

If your worried about cash flow then get a seperate bank account & each put x-amount in each time on the day your paid by bank transfer to pay the bills, then you know what your left to play with yourself.

I mentioned drop down to one car as it would save you a fortune & if you both work at the same place would be easy to do.

Yeah i understand what you mean Colin about the car situation, both of us have recently got new cars within the past 3 months as well and we would both need our own as our families live diff directions etc, ideally 1 car would be best but at the moment its not an option

£40 for your Tv/BB/Phone whose that with? Do you have cable/sky tele? Our Gas/Elec shouldn't be too high as were not there all day its jsut the evenings really, so i think ours would be roughly £40 for gas and Elec

We'd probablly look at paying TV liscence and Contents in one payment as well, as then its one less bill a month!
BYRON

28th May 08 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Get a seperate bank account & each put x-amount in each time on the day your paid by bank transfer to pay the bills, then you know what your left to play with yourself.

Exactley what we do. Other mates dont and put all the money into 1 pot.
I like to have my cash, and she can have hers. If she gets short, I will see her right.
Colin

28th May 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin media, there not the best for TV but I dont watch much TV anyway. Cant really fault the TV/BB service!
Colin

28th May 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer to ger any insurance or TV license paid straight off, get it out the way!!
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh Virgin is who i was thinking of, but their BB doesn't appeal to me at the moment and its roughly the same price as BT/Sky combo so not sure yet.

Yeh We would have a shared account to pay everything out from so then we have our own money etc. Thats what me and my mates did last year and it worked well
Colin

28th May 08 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The've both got various deals on all the time, if you watch alot of TV then get Sky, VM TV is a bit shit & ive had about 3 boxes brake down on me.
AdZ9

28th May 08 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh think i'd have to stick with Sky, my mate has virgin and i hate it. Not much in price difference anyway as

Sky BB + TV = £28 with £10.50 BT line rental so £38.50 a month and Virgin is say £30-40 a month but worse net/tv.
Andrew

28th May 08 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably around £300 - £350. But then i live on my my own and don't go out much these days.
AdZ9

29th May 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think its worth giving it a shot, can always dip into my CC now and then if needs be :/ will spur me onto getting more freelance work as well!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th May 08 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£190 a week at the moment

no insurance/ tax/ petrol
Dean_W

30th May 08 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live on about 400 per month.
Carl

30th May 08 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could just get the lowest tv package with virgin, then pay out 100 ish quid for a vox box and get all the channels free. Thats what all my mates have done.
AdZ9

3rd Jun 08 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We went and looked at the flat last night, all i can say is that its amazing. The place is massive, and for £540 p/m its a steal, i'd be an idiot not to take up the offer!

Because its a sky area too i can get tv/bb and phone line through sky for £39 a month! So will be going with that

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » How much do you have........ 25 database queries in 0.1826510 seconds