corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » cabled needed to hang TV on wall... - UPDATE - PICS almost done

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cabled needed to hang TV on wall... - UPDATE - PICS almost done
John

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got everything running beside everything and coming out of random holes in the wall

Digital FTW.
drunkenfool

2nd Jun 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
mate, a 40" telly will pull less than 1A when in use, you wont get any RFI, if all your video cables are good quality they'll be screened anyway.

I install plasmas and LCDs day in day out and have never had any trouble with interference.

I beg to differ, sorry. As I said, the real world benefits may be negligable, but it will have SOME effect. VERY VERY top end equipment can use mains cables that cost £1,800 for a 1m cable, people that spend that sort of money would NOT run the mains cables and signal cables side by side.
http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA0237060108255MCLBURKFIIIKJOTT/product-The-Silver-Signature-PowerKord-1549.htm
John

2nd Jun 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People that spend 1800 quid on a mains cable won't have it plugged into a normal ac supply, they'll have 10k's worth of filtering equipment as well, it will make no difference to this install.
M2RTY

2nd Jun 08 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried it last night in different possitions and found no difference

Cables are mainly Nikkai ones, Maplins do them, I have used them before and like them.

Price list:

HDMI to HDMI 5m 49.99
HDMI to DVI 5m 49.99
SCART - SCART 5m 27.99
2Phono - 2Phono 5m 14.99
2Phono - 2Phono 5m 14.99
SCART - SCART 1.5m 18.99
3.5mm - 3.5mm 5m 14.99
Coax 5m 10.99
RGB 5m 25.99
Power 3m 5.99
SVHS - SVHS 10m 25.99
VGA 15(M)-15(M) 5m 29.99
VGA 15(M)-15(M) 10m 39.99

= £320 on cables so far

The 2 10m ones are for the Projector

Still need something for PS2 and another set of audio phono cables as DVI to HMDI does not transmit sound doh

good fun

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by M2RTY]
M2RTY

2nd Jun 08 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS -

The 4 inch drain pipe is 75% full with the current cables, no way would anything smaller fit them all through

and

The wall fell to bits as the plaster is shocking, we did not mean for it to be so messy with a largeeee hole!! Needs new bricks in it for support anyways

need a projector mount next

thanks
M2RTY

4th Jun 08 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

projector mount made from an old speaker bracket I had
ash_corsa

4th Jun 08 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
mate, a 40" telly will pull less than 1A when in use, you wont get any RFI, if all your video cables are good quality they'll be screened anyway.

I install plasmas and LCDs day in day out and have never had any trouble with interference.

I beg to differ, sorry. As I said, the real world benefits may be negligable, but it will have SOME effect. VERY VERY top end equipment can use mains cables that cost £1,800 for a 1m cable, people that spend that sort of money would NOT run the mains cables and signal cables side by side.
http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA0237060108255MCLBURKFIIIKJOTT/product-The-Silver-Signature-PowerKord-1549.htm

I know mate, we sell cables that cost that much and more, one guy spent just short of £20,000 on cables for his hi-fi, just interconnecting cables and mains leads etc...
However this is totally irrelevant from this guys install, we're talking about a samsung TV on the wall, hardly cutting-edge top end equipment is it?
You will not notice any interference running a power cable with video cables on that distance
drunkenfool

4th Jun 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play, im just going on what ive read but it seems like you know what you're talking about and im not one of those people who are too stubborn to admit they may be wrong, much better to learn instead!
xa0s
Banned

5th Jun 08 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wudda been better to buy a little AV receiver. Onkyo 605's go for like £300 now and all you'd need to run to your TV is one single HDMI and a power lead. Everything else will be controlled and switched for the amp.

I'm willing to bet that you'll buy one soon and regret running all the wires.

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
I tried it last night in different possitions and found no difference

Cables are mainly Nikkai ones, Maplins do them, I have used them before and like them.

Price list:

HDMI to HDMI 5m 49.99
HDMI to DVI 5m 49.99
SCART - SCART 5m 27.99
2Phono - 2Phono 5m 14.99
2Phono - 2Phono 5m 14.99
SCART - SCART 1.5m 18.99
3.5mm - 3.5mm 5m 14.99
Coax 5m 10.99
RGB 5m 25.99
Power 3m 5.99
SVHS - SVHS 10m 25.99
VGA 15(M)-15(M) 5m 29.99
VGA 15(M)-15(M) 10m 39.99

= £320 on cables so far

The 2 10m ones are for the Projector

Still need something for PS2 and another set of audio phono cables as DVI to HMDI does not transmit sound doh

good fun

[Edited on 02-06-2008 by M2RTY]

Hate to tell you but HDMI cables are digital (like USB and Ethernet) -- they either work or they don't. You won't get better quality as they're just sending 0's and 1's. You can get 5m cables for £5 each and they'll work perfectly.

[Edited on 05-06-2008 by SRi Luke]
M2RTY

5th Jun 08 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got all the cables for less then £80 all in, I didnt pay full price!

AV box - yes I will get one soon

no i dont regret running the cables, most will still be required anyway to the TV and the projector ones will still be needed.
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

5th Jun 08 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The AV amp is a nice idea. I have the Samsung 1 connected to my TV and the tv talks to the amp to turn the volume up and down change the source etc. Got an optical cable from the tv to the amp so that when i am watching tv it doesnt use the rubbish in tv speakers.

You are making a great job of it so far
drunkenfool

5th Jun 08 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing is aboumt AV amps/receivers is they dont all convert signals, so say youm were watching a source with S video out, the amp cant convert that to an HMDI signal and pass it on to the TV, youm stillhave to have the amp connected to the TV via S-Video aswell.
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

5th Jun 08 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same problem. I have my PC via HDMI, then HDMI to my tv. PS2 and Wii is via component.
ash_corsa

5th Jun 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only thing is aboumt AV amps/receivers is they dont all convert signals, so say youm were watching a source with S video out, the amp cant convert that to an HMDI signal and pass it on to the TV, youm stillhave to have the amp connected to the TV via S-Video aswell.

Too right, loads of people buy AV amps with HDMI thinking all they need is a HDMI lead from amp to tv and it will do the lot - Nearly all the cheap amps (sub £500) wont covert to HDMI.
When you look at the spec of the amp, check the video processor will scale all signals composite, component, s-video etc to HDMI

You usually need to spend good money for a decent amp to have this feature.
xa0s
Banned

5th Jun 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Too right, loads of people buy AV amps with HDMI thinking all they need is a HDMI lead from amp to tv and it will do the lot - Nearly all the cheap amps (sub £500) wont covert to HDMI.
When you look at the spec of the amp, check the video processor will scale all signals composite, component, s-video etc to HDMI

You usually need to spend good money for a decent amp to have this feature.

That's why I suggested the Onkyo 605.

It converts every single connection to HDMI.

The Onkyo 505 can also do it (£250 AV receiver).

My entire setup is plugged into my receiver, and the only wires I have going to my TV are one single HDMI and a power lead.

Most Blu-ray's/HD-DVD's have HD sound now (Dolby TrueHD or dts-HD Master Audio) and you won't be able to decode these without having a proper receiver. It's well worth it. The Onkyo 605 (£300) is an absolute steal, or you could get the newer model (Onkyo 606) that does upscaling (which I don't need, since all my sources are HD anyway) for £400.

I've seen Onkyo 505's going for £150 2nd hand on AVForums! You don't need to spend big money.

[Edited on 05-06-2008 by SRi Luke]
ash_corsa

5th Jun 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Onkyo range is pretty impressive for the money, was playing round with some in our demo room at work the other day and they do perform well - especially using B&W speakers, Panasonic AE2000 projector and spiderman3 on BluRay
xa0s
Banned

5th Jun 08 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, superb bit of kit for the dollar. Can't fault it at all.
Welsh Dan

5th Jun 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any way of turning off the TVs inputs bar the HDMI? For example, on mine it defaults to the Digital tuner or Sky, depending on the mood its in. It'd piss me off having to change to HDMI every time I turned it on.
ash_corsa

5th Jun 08 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
Is there any way of turning off the TVs inputs bar the HDMI? For example, on mine it defaults to the Digital tuner or Sky, depending on the mood its in. It'd piss me off having to change to HDMI every time I turned it on.

What make of Tv?
With most Tvs you can select the default input, usualy AV or TV
You can hide/skip inputs on most decent tellys too so you should be ok mate depending on what youve got
xa0s
Banned

6th Jun 08 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan

Depending on the TV.

Mine stays on whatever it was last (always HDMI 1 thankfully, because of the receiver). What TV is it?
drunkenfool

6th Jun 08 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm. im tempted to swap my amp now and just have the single HDMI feed going to the projector...
xa0s
Banned

6th Jun 08 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll wonder how you lived without it once you do! Whenever anyone brings round AV gear, I plug it straight into the receiver and don't need to get behind the TV and fiddle about.

"Howja do that?!"

[Edited on 06-06-2008 by SRi Luke]
M2RTY

6th Jun 08 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SRi Luke:

Can the amp you mention to VGA to HDMI

Also, how does it work for picture in picture on the samsung?

Also, can you output Picture to TV (HDMI) or Projector (S-Video) at the same time

and can I choose if the audio comes from the TV or the external speakers?

Would HDMI carry the sound to the TV too?

Thanks
xa0s
Banned

6th Jun 08 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can the amp you mention to VGA to HDMI
Nope -- I've not seen an amp that can do this tbh.

Also, how does it work for picture in picture on the samsung?
Never tried in all honesty.

Also, can you output Picture to TV (HDMI) or Projector (S-Video) at the same time
Only one output at a time. The Onkyo 875 (£750) has two HDMI outs. I was considering upgrading when I get my projector.

and can I choose if the audio comes from the TV or the external speakers?
Yep.

Would HDMI carry the sound to the TV too?
Yep.
M2RTY

6th Jun 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll