corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would anyone trust this?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would anyone trust this?
Tommy L

User status: Offline
12th May 08 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Postal ECU remap

Surely wouldnt be as good as going to somewhere to have it done?
Dan295

12th May 08 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just no
richc

12th May 08 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aparantly there are alright. Obv you can get alot better....but you get what you pay for!
lil_g

12th May 08 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as like EVO5 chips for a let aren't they?

Plug and play?
Ian
Site Administrator

12th May 08 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whether you post the ECU and they flash it at their premises or they visit you and flash it at the roadside, the same map will be loaded in to the management. The only downside is that if its done by desoldering the chip rather than diagnostic port they might kill the ECU doing it and you'll be left without a working car until they replace it.
John

12th May 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used him, brilliant remap as far as I was concerned, he plugs it in, doesn't desolder anything.
deano87

13th May 08 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought about DTUK, advertised in Total Vauxhall. And got a feature this month - seems like a good company
pow
Premium Member

13th May 08 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No
Tommy L

13th May 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Thought about DTUK, advertised in Total Vauxhall. And got a feature this month - seems like a good company
Aren't they plug and play systems though?
deano87

13th May 08 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but apparently you get very good gains.

If you read the Total Vauxhall article, it says on one car, all his mates had these boxes, and the car he got he had remapped with box, and theirs were still making more or something.
ed

13th May 08 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter what certain people on here claim, you don't need your ECU setup on a rolling road if your engine is totally standard. The companys selling these maps will have developed the map on somones car and they are selling you that map which will work perfectly fine seeing as engines are made to such high tolerences.

I'd trust it.
stubbsy05

13th May 08 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant get on that link due to work.

Does he do a remap for the 1.9 TDI VW engine? (90bhp)

How much is he charging?
Tommy L

13th May 08 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Audi A3 A4 A6 1.9 tdi postal ecu remap/chip tune

40 BHP and 65 NM of torque gains
John

13th May 08 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
No matter what certain people on here claim, you don't need your ECU setup on a rolling road if your engine is totally standard. The companys selling these maps will have developed the map on somones car and they are selling you that map which will work perfectly fine seeing as engines are made to such high tolerences.

I'd trust it.

Exactly ed, I'm 100% sure an extra 400 quid wouldn't have got me 400 quid worth of power/driveability.

The people saying no haven't had one and don't know what they are talking about.
ed

13th May 08 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then there is one other point. When your ECU is manufactured do they set up each car on a rolling road? No. A generic map is installed....

We are also talking about the most simple type of engine to squeeze a bit more power out of too.
Superlite Ltd.

13th May 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the cheap on an OE engine

yes
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

13th May 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed, you are missing the point.

yes, all cars come with a generic map from the factory which is very safe (hence the gains you see from remapping) but as soon as you start pushing more power through the engine and ancilliaries then you need to monitor what exactly is going on, more so on petrols.

sending an ecu away for a remap is a bad idea, before you remap an ecu you MUST check the outputs from each engine sensor and check for fault codes, without doing so you are mapping over various possible problems, if these problems ever result in a light on the dash and they get repaired then the map wont compensate for these changes.

I have used flash remaps, not yet have I been exited by one, they simply cannot take real life driving into account in the same way as a custom remap that is written on the dyno and finalised on the road and mapped live. many flash remaps are simply written on a laptop and boost and fuelling is increased throughout the rev range, with no changes made that take throttle position or load into account, this can ruin drivability and fuel economy.

I have used about 30-40 flash generic maps on cars from various manufacturers and some are good, especially those written by Revo and Angel Tuning, but most are just rubbish.

If I could charge £150 for a flash remap, no dyno, no work gone into it (apart from plugging a laptop into a diagnostic port and uploading an unkown file) that takes 10-15 mins, I would do so all day everyday. Fact is though, nothing beats a live remap that is written on a dyno and then road tested. its not all about how much peak power it makes over standard, its about what happens between 1000rpm and peak rpm.

why risk a car worth thousands for the sake of saving £200?

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by Dave A]
John

13th May 08 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS I had one of these maps, on my car, it didn't blow up, it provided power the whole way through the rev range, it was much faster, much better to drive and the best bit was it only cost me £100.

What exactly is wrong with them apart from the fact it isn't exactly tailored to your engine, which is as close to equal to every other one they produced anyway?
John

13th May 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A

I have used flash remaps, not yet have I been exited by one

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by Dave A]

This is absolute tosh.

People have no qualms paying 300+ for a guy to come out with a laptop and they are perfectly happy with the maps.

Yes you may be able to get an extra bit out of it on a rolling road but on these engines what extra you get is negligible and for me not worth the extra money.
ed

13th May 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think we're ever going to agree on this one. But from what I see, sending your ECU to this guy to get flashed on his rig is the same as pasying Angel Tuning to come over in thier van and plug in thier laptop and load the map through the OBDII port. The only difference is that the guy fron Angel Tuning will take your car for a test drive afterwards, but I'm not sure what that will achieve because he has loaded a generic map and wont really be changing anything as he's test driving not live mapping.
ed

13th May 08 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus I don't see how you could damage the engine. If a parameter is wrong the ECU will detect the fault and put the engine in limp home mode, or it simply wont run. I guess he could fry the ECU, but then so could anyone if they do stupid things...
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

13th May 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you get a copy of your old map back with the original pak file, ifo file and immobiliser codes?

if not, you will struggle to get accurate diagnostic tests done and if you ever need a key coded to the ecu then you will find it very difficult, most manufacturers write the immobiliser codes to the same file as the map. The guy you post it off to wont have your immobiliser details so he will just write over the complete map and either blank them off (no immobiliser) or write over them meaning you wont be able to retrieve them if needed at a later date.

If anyone wants a postal remap then I would be happy to do it for £50, dont expect it to be any good though, may gain you a few BHP and a bit of torque but all it will be is a rough guess.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th May 08 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see where you are going with this dave...

1) sell dodgy postal remap at cheap as chips price of £50
2) let customer fit and run said shitty remap
3) wait for customer to get pissed off with shitty performance and come back to you wanting a full remap
4) rape their little pink bottom for a full dyno session+remap
5) profit

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by willay]
Planty02

13th May 08 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I see where you are going with this dave...

1) sell dodgy postal remap at cheap as chips price of £50
2) let customer fit and run said shitty remap
3) wait for customer to get pissed off with shitty performance and come back to you wanting a full remap
4) rape their little pink bottom for a full dyno session+remap
5) profit

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by willay]

John

13th May 08 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
did you get a copy of your old map back with the original pak file, ifo file and immobiliser codes?

if not, you will struggle to get accurate diagnostic tests done and if you ever need a key coded to the ecu then you will find it very difficult, most manufacturers write the immobiliser codes to the same file as the map. The guy you post it off to wont have your immobiliser details so he will just write over the complete map and either blank them off (no immobiliser) or write over them meaning you wont be able to retrieve them if needed at a later date.

If anyone wants a postal remap then I would be happy to do it for £50, dont expect it to be any good though, may gain you a few BHP and a bit of torque but all it will be is a rough guess.

Car had been back to skoda for various work to be done and guess what, they didn't notice any problems, even after having to code in a new body control module

Edit to say that go and pay dodgy del boy dave for a full remap if you want to listen to shit, if you want to save quite a bit of cash for the same gains pay the other guy 100 quid.

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by John]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would anyone trust this? 22 database queries in 0.1019821 seconds