corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would anyone trust this?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would anyone trust this?
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
13th May 08 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got it in 1 willay

I understand that people want things cheap, (after all I only charge £300-350 for a full live map inc dyno time) but cheap is very rarely good when it comes to ecu remapping. I dont expect people to understand why sending your ecu away to be remapped isnt a great idea, unless you have the knowledge and experience of remapping and know exactly what goes into it then its impossible to understand what I mean.

I am not trying to sell my own product or service here, just trying to give advice, wether you choose to take it is up to you, but dont come back with an argument to my advice unless you understand the ins and outs of what you are arguing about.
John

13th May 08 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you totally ignoring the fact I have had one on my car and vouch that it is good, didn't blow my car up, had no issues with any coding etc etc etc?

I may not know as much as a guy who does it for a living but from what I do know and my actual experience of having one it was one of the best ways of spending money on the car.

This is also being argued by a guy who originall claimed that the only difference between a pd100 and a pd130 was the map.
Dave A

13th May 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are happy with your cheap remap then fine, thats your opinion. I havnt once said that a car would blow up from a cheap remap, just pointed out that there are much better, more accurate and safe methods of doing the job properly with better gains.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th May 08 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thread needs more gotech tbh
John

13th May 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also regarding the immobiliser and problems coding, if this was the case how does the ecu just plug in and work 1st time when he sends it back up?

This coupled with the fact I think the clocks handle the immoboliser and skoda managed to code a module with no hassle leads me to the conclusion that is also made up.
whitter45

13th May 08 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
ed, you are missing the point.

yes, all cars come with a generic map from the factory which is very safe (hence the gains you see from remapping) but as soon as you start pushing more power through the engine and ancilliaries then you need to monitor what exactly is going on, more so on petrols.

sending an ecu away for a remap is a bad idea, before you remap an ecu you MUST check the outputs from each engine sensor and check for fault codes, without doing so you are mapping over various possible problems, if these problems ever result in a light on the dash and they get repaired then the map wont compensate for these changes.

I have used flash remaps, not yet have I been exited by one, they simply cannot take real life driving into account in the same way as a custom remap that is written on the dyno and finalised on the road and mapped live. many flash remaps are simply written on a laptop and boost and fuelling is increased throughout the rev range, with no changes made that take throttle position or load into account, this can ruin drivability and fuel economy.

I have used about 30-40 flash generic maps on cars from various manufacturers and some are good, especially those written by Revo and Angel Tuning, but most are just rubbish.

If I could charge £150 for a flash remap, no dyno, no work gone into it (apart from plugging a laptop into a diagnostic port and uploading an unkown file) that takes 10-15 mins, I would do so all day everyday. Fact is though, nothing beats a live remap that is written on a dyno and then road tested. its not all about how much peak power it makes over standard, its about what happens between 1000rpm and peak rpm.

why risk a car worth thousands for the sake of saving £200?

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by Dave A]

Dave Awesome GTI do this with their APR map for the VAGS

Drive in - they plug in a laptop

Download the map - takes about 30 minutes and you drive away 400 notes worse off

My mate had it done on his S3 and its still going strong
Dave A

13th May 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair whitter, the maps awesome GTI write are probably ones they have written and extensively tested, not an unknown file that is uploaded to an unknown ecu and chucked into a postbox.
John

13th May 08 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what you are saying is it's ok for awesome to do exactly the same thing because you don't want to look bad by slating a well known company but this guy isn't well known so must be a cowboy, a bit like yourself
Dave A

13th May 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do awesome GTI do the same thing as some bloke in his front room? its a completely different thing. they will have more experience, the right equipment, they have the car and the keys infront of them and are a genuine tuning company that write their own remaps.

why get so defensive and start slating me? I am giving advice. we dont need idiots turning every thread into a big argument so unless you understand what you are arguing about you are fighting a lost cause.

If you are happy with your remap then sit back, calm down and be happy with that fact. nobody is having a go at you.
John

13th May 08 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are having a go at these maps though, and what you are saying is 100% incorrect.

Correct me if I am mistaken but you don't actually have any experience with the guy do you, making me more qualified to talk about his remaps than you are.

Again, I assume you know the guy and that he doesn't write his own maps or get them from somwhere that has the same equipment as awesome?

Thats the second time you've said I don't understand what i'm arguing about.

Do you understand what you are talking about when claiming coding problems, or claiming that the pd100 is the same as the 130 bar a map?
Dave A

13th May 08 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

infact, do know where that ebay seller gets their maps, I know he does it from his home and I know the coding methods he uses. I even know the equipment he uses and what its capable of, what it can and cant write and its limitations.

enough for you?
John

13th May 08 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll know better than me about the excellent value for money then.

What about the non existant coding issues then if you know exactly what he does?
Dave A

13th May 08 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless you understand immobiliser coding methods then you wont understand why you need the vehicle and the key to map the ecu correctly. The information you need is not stored in the ecu itself so unless you have this information with the ecu (i.e the car itself and the equipment to read the immobiliser info) then you can only write a partial remap to the ecu, or write a full remap and over write the immobiliser codes so that the immobiliser doesnt function in the same way as it should.

Not all cars have this issue with the immobiliser code but most do.
whitter45

13th May 08 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF ptorque and angel tuning offer the same service of posting your ECU to them for the map

Its only like me sending my ECU to awesome and them sending it back with the APR map

AMD also do this

Dave A

13th May 08 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the point is, all of the companies you have mentioned there have the correct equipment and knowledge to do the job properly, have premises with dyno facilities and write their own maps, they dont buy their maps from unknown scources and sell them over ebay for £100. It is also unlikely that they will do an ecu flash remap by post, even less likely to attempt to do it by post if the ecu stores immobiliser info.

depoends what you trust, take your car somewhere that can do the work properly with the right facilities and equipment of send it to some bloke that gives a mobile phone number over ebay and asks you to stick an ecu worth sometimes thousands of pounds in the post box.
whitter45

13th May 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but the point is, all of the companies you have mentioned there have the correct equipment and knowledge to do the job properly, have premises with dyno facilities and write their own maps, they dont buy their maps from unknown scources and sell them over ebay for £100. It is also unlikely that they will do an ecu flash remap by post, even less likely to attempt to do it by post if the ecu stores immobiliser info.

depoends what you trust, take your car somewhere that can do the work properly with the right facilities and equipment of send it to some bloke that gives a mobile phone number over ebay and asks you to stick an ecu worth sometimes thousands of pounds in the post box.

I totally agree with you but until you can verify what maps he is using you cannot dis credit him
GT190

13th May 08 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldn't get remap off ebay personally.
Dave A

13th May 08 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

I totally agree with you but until you can verify what maps he is using you cannot dis credit him

well, if they are mapped in his living room, nobody will know what he is doing with them. However, I have not discredited his work, just explained to people what you do actually get for £150, which is nothing more than an unknown file uploaded to your ecu and put in a post box.

Anyone can do this themselfes, you can by a cd with 3000+ map files, a coms lead and software to access your ecu for under £30, simply copy the standard file from the ecu to your desktop, upload the file from the cd and save it to the ecu. That is all a cheap flash remap is.

John

13th May 08 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the map is good, as I have said numerous times in this thread, I don't really care what way it was uploaded.
Dave A

13th May 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good map compared to what though?

look at these 3, one is standard, one is a flash remap, one is a custom written map. the difference in cost between the two is just £50 but with the custom map you get 3 hours of dyno testing:

look at the difference between the custom and the flash remap in the lower revs, the flash map makes less power than standard. if you didnt have the option of dyno testing you wouldnt know this, but with the option of a custom map you can fix this fault in the map and improve power throughout the entire map, try doing that with a latptop in your living room.
John

13th May 08 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you'd have given me a custom map for 150, no you wouldn't, it also wasn't making less than standard, or if it was it was making less and pulling harder for longer

Because you've managed to find one bad map doesn't mean this guys are.

And is that the polo thats the same as a pd130 apart from the remap?
Luke

13th May 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john why are you trying to get dave to bite by saying about the pd130 remap? he knows alot more than you hence why he is doing it for a living, stop trying to argue & put your handbags away
John

13th May 08 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because that is what he claimed in a thread about his polo, when it is totally incorrect.

He is also saying that because he has found one shitty generic remap that all remaps, including this guys must be bad.

The original question was would somebody trust the ebay remap.

I have more experience with dave because i've had one on my car and know how good it was.

Why are you assuming dave knows more than me about it, he may very well but how do you know?
Dave A

13th May 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, you probably got your £150 worth. but why do only half a job? I would prefer to spend £300 and get more than double the gains and more performance.

unless you dyno tested your car before and after your postbox ECU remap you dont have any clue what has been gained in reality do you?
Luke

13th May 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when did he say that all generic remaps are bad? he said that getting a remaped ecu posted to your door could be bad because it could do damage to your car where as awesome gti etc have the facilities to do this like dave said! if dave didnt know as much as you he obviously wouldnt be running a business doing live re-maps

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by lyfie]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would anyone trust this? 22 database queries in 0.1882670 seconds