corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows/AD Gurus

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows/AD Gurus
Dom

User status: Offline
6th May 08 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a problem with the students downloading or bringing in via usb sticks flash games, usually in SWF format, and then running them using IE. I know it's possible to stop flash running under IE (could cause numerous problems if we did this), but is it possible, either via Group polices or another method, of stopping students executing swf files in IE, and/or downloading swf files (ie: right mouse click save etc) and/or blocking swf files being transfered from usb sticks?

We're also running RM if there is a method using the RM console - have raised the issue a few times but nothing has come about it

tar all
pow
Premium Member

6th May 08 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you change the SWF files to open with notepad or something when they are double clicked?
Neo

6th May 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be able to stop the running .swf files, unless they use them as part of their course.

When i worked in a school, all we would do is a search of EXE's and SWF's on a friday night and delete anything weird, after making a copy.

You could also disable the use of USB drives (i.e. restrict drive letters) so they aren't recognised ? and if they need to transfer work create an FTP server they can use which is connected with their account ?
pow
Premium Member

6th May 08 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I'd have banned the mempry sticks for the pupils. We had that at school, had to get the teachers to download work.
Aaron

6th May 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use software called Browse Control. It does the following

Internet Control (On/Off)
Port Filtering
USB Blocking
CD/DVD Drive Blocking
Wake on LAN
Remote Shutdown/Re-boot

Thats just to name a few.

This software would solve all your problems and its very cheap for schools

Made by a company called CodeWork based in Manchester
Dom

6th May 08 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't disable the use of USB sticks as it would cause more headaches than this is worth, plus the students are required to do their own backups just incase anything happens (we obviously have a daily backup system, but we can't guaranty this).

But i think i have found a possible solution using Software Restriction polices that allows you to restrict use of programs via md5 hashes and paths etc Will give it a go and see what happens.

Neo - scans are usually done for swf, but it's almost a days job going through the files making sure they are work or not. Banning swfs from our system would be less of a headache.

Pow - changing swf's to open in notepad, wouldn't solve the problem of the kids drag+dropping the files into IE. You would think that the all-in-one-super-dooper-piece-o-crap also known as RM would have a solution for this, but like i say they haven't got a clue

Aaron - good looking piece of software, but it doesn't seem to be able to block file types and everything it can do we can do via polices, RM system and our Fortinet firewall/proxy server. Plus it isn't a cheap solution at £2850 per server - if it's just AD servers then it'll cost us near enough 12k and if we have to get all the servers covered then it's near enough 30k

Cheers for the help though, will have a look at software restrictions and see what happens
Brett
Premium Member

6th May 08 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change permission on flashXe.OCX (X being the version you're running)

New Poll