corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Recommended tyres for daily driver road use (and track).

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recommended tyres for daily driver road use (and track).
Paul_J

User status: Offline
10th Apr 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah bugger... Just went to fit my lower strut brace and noticed...

Oh dear

Must of killed them at llandow and not noticed it's pretty much flat tread.

Note not driven my car since llandow so don't have a go too much

I'm trying to decide what tyres to buy for my car. These were good year eagle F1's which definately have loads of grip on the road, but on track their tyre walls are so soft that the tyre ends up folding under the tyre and doesn't give as much grip as they do on the road.

For example:

So, I'm looking for a tyre that is available in 195/45/15 that isn't too pricey, can be driven on the road and last like a road tyre, but has a firmer tyre wall and grips well on road + track.

I can't afford semi slicks R888's or A048's and I don't want to use them every day on the road?

Has anyone got any recommondations of tyres to fit this bill? Personal experiences prefered or mates that have been on track. I don't really want people telling me their tyres grip awesome on road (but have never taken it on track) as my good years are brilliant on road, but are pretty naff on track.

Thanks,
Paul_J

10th Apr 08 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm I'm tempted to go for Yoko Parada Spec 2's as my mate had recommended them to me.

the reviews I've found seem good, v.stiff sidewall, but soft compound, loads of grip on track and road.

However, they only come in 195/50/15 so I'm thinking the tyre wall may look a bit big? also my rear tyres are perfectly fine, plenty of tread, but they're still a V tyre pattern and the parada spec 2's aren't.

Will it be ok running 2 of one tread pattern on the front and 2 of a different pattern on the rear? literally the rears are barely worn. Though the rears are 195/45/15 so it may look a bit odd with tyre wall difference between front and rear?

I just looked for prices and found parada spec 2's on camskill 195/50/15.... for...

£37 WTF?!!?!?! think thats inc del as well and vat.

Other sizes seem normal price but for 15"'s they're stupidly cheap!
J4M13

10th Apr 08 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i would recommend Parada spec 2's Paul, i run them on the astra and they are incredible on road and pretty good in the wet once you have got some heat into them, i cant see myself running any other tyre ever again(untill spec 3's come out).
and yes they are very stiff sidewalls, i hate fitting them up
Running 2 different tread pattern's/makes of tyre shouldnt matter much aslong as you have the same tyre's on front's and same on the back.
The price seems about right, for 205/40/17's which i run they come in at about £55 trade price.

Yoko have recently brought out there new S-Drive tyre's which have pretty good ratings also.

[Edited on 10-04-2008 by J4M13]
Paul_J

10th Apr 08 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha yeh I read that they were a bitch to fit. I also get local pikey place to fit them for like £5-£10 cash for all tyres hah, unlucky to them.

£37 inc vat + del madness

I'm getting honestly quite excited about these tyres As for years and years I've had soft tyre walls on my goodyears on track, and always had the problem from them that they cause understeer! After reading reviews about the tyres and knowing they'll be a stiff side wall I really am like

though I'm a tad concerned that the fronts are gonna grip far more than the rears and the rear will be breaking traction, but oh well give them a crack.

J4M13 how noticeable will the 50 profile be on the 195/15 compared to the 195/45/15 on the rear?

Gonna see how they perform at combe and maybe put a set on the rear too or get 2 more spares to take with me to nurburg or whatever
Fad

10th Apr 08 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you still get hold of nay Michelin Exaltos quite expensive but superb track tyres.
J4M13

10th Apr 08 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i honestly couldnt say paul, as i havnt used those sizes. I could try find out tomorrow for you though.
Gaz

10th Apr 08 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would recomend having a road set of tyres and a set of semi slicks or something for track days on an different set of wheels.
Paul_J

10th Apr 08 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh but Gaz then i have to pay for more wheels and more tyres...

so shelling out like £400-£500 depending on wheels or tyres.

I can't afford that at the moment and it won't be worth while.

I'd go for A048's for track tyres otherwise.
Gaz

10th Apr 08 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might be missing the point here, but if you have destroyed a set of tyres that legally you had to drive home on, then surey the investement will be worth it over the longer period of time?

Wheels dont have to be expensive, ustsome shit things but the right size.

No point in having a car that handles well on tyres that you know are not the utimate you could possibly have on them?

Just my view though...
MGM

10th Apr 08 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Proxies mate. Reasonably priced and survived a full day at Brands. They're still outside waiting to go on some track wheels, but I reckon had I had more time to drive on them to wear off the bubbling they'd have got through an MOT
Paul_J

10th Apr 08 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
i might be missing the point here, but if you have destroyed a set of tyres that legally you had to drive home on, then surey the investement will be worth it over the longer period of time?

Wheels dont have to be expensive, ustsome shit things but the right size.

No point in having a car that handles well on tyres that you know are not the utimate you could possibly have on them?

Just my view though...

Those tyres had done combe several times last year, nurburg, llandow and a whole load of road abuse... llandow was just the straw that broke the camels back really.

I don't see in the near future having a similar situation where I can't drive home legally. Even a £150-£200 set of alloys is still £150 to £200. 4 tyres = minimum £150 ... but if they're gonna be solely track use, you may aswell get some decent ones. Hence £400-£500.

I agree ideal situation would be 2 sets of wheels, 1 for road, 1 for track use.

Right i've ordered some yoko parada spec 2's after reading reviews online i'm entrigued to see what they do on track. They sound a v.soft compound (hence sticky) with a hard tyre wall. But at £37 a tyre inc del + vat, hell I could buy a set of 2 and take them with me to nurburgring if i wanted and get them fitted over there at local garage if needed.

but we'll see what they're like.

To be honest from what i've read, they're ideal. Good on track, but wear out fast. Fine for road use / last plenty of time on road. Super Cheap that they can be replaced often.

My only cocern now is that on the rear I've got dunlop sp 9000's (V pattern) which when I put on the front one day were utter garbage... so I can possibly see the rear not gripping too well.

Or it raining and these parada spec 2's being utter garbage.
Paul_J

10th Apr 08 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ like on the above, I'd run A048r's on my car daily and on track, if they were £37 a tyre - despite them being so soft they'd knacker out fast

[Edited on 10-04-2008 by Paul_J]
Rob B

10th Apr 08 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyre whore
J4M13

10th Apr 08 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they arnt that bad in wet conditions paul, at lower speeds and when they are cold they arnt at their best but when you get some heat into them they are pretty good.
I dont think you will regret choosing them mate, i absolutely love mine!
Paul_J

11th Apr 08 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome mate, my mates who use them on track all praise them. Reading reviews online seem similar too.

But Fad said he had some and they were utter garbage on his astra.

Will give them a go anyway

Only time I've seen parada spec 2's is on a guy i know's 205 - to be fair it was properly sorted, super stiff suspension and plate LSD. The car practically drove like it was RWD! so much front grip
broster
Premium Member

11th Apr 08 at 06:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
If you still get hold of nay Michelin Exaltos quite expensive but superb track tyres.

totally agree with this, or try continental sport contacts, they are great.

but then again if you want a cheap tyre (which you seem to if your looking at yoko's) i wouldnt bother looking at prices
Norledge

11th Apr 08 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a set of VTS rims if you want track wheels mate

Then run some proper tyres!!

[Edited on 11-04-2008 by Norledge]
Dan295

11th Apr 08 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh paul why not grab a set of steelies and throw on the parada's, change the tyres over at the track and then you wont have to worry about getting blad as a badger tyres on the way back from llandow
Fad

11th Apr 08 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norledge

He's running VTS wheels
Paul_J

11th Apr 08 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by Norledge

He's running VTS wheels

and VTS wheels are so expensive these days

I bought mine for £120 a few years ago, now they go for £260-£300 for standard wheels
Norledge

11th Apr 08 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh... there was me about the sell mine at £150 :$
Paul_J

11th Apr 08 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get them up on SSC and you'll get a lot more?

£150 you say lol.
Rob B

11th Apr 08 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found loads on sax-p about a month ago for between 120 - 180
Norledge

11th Apr 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just want them gone mate. £150 their yours... will bring them to combe to sell them anyway
Paul_J

11th Apr 08 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no cash at the mo, just sell them on SSC Im still unsure whether I'll be keeping my car in the long term or not anyway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Recommended tyres for daily driver road use (and track). 22 database queries in 0.2083311 seconds