corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 1 host many websites... someone?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1 host many websites... someone?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
8th Apr 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright, I want to set up a few different sites, and my sister wants a website and I know someone who wanted me to make them a basic site.
I'm wanting to get 1 hosting package and host them all on that, and then buy seperate domains that point to that hosting.

Is this possible / allowed by the hosts?

Something like the following example:

this hosting package.

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.planBusinessPlus

So unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited sub domains... 1 free domain reg and hosting for database backends and a whole range of web techs like asp.net etc.

What I was thinking is doing that and registering a generic name

like www.pauljoslin.com or whatever... just something for my hosting.

then on each site I create on it sub domains

mysisterssite.pauljoslin.com
mysite.pauljoslin.com
mymates.pauljoslin.com

obviously not those crappy names.

Then for each site, just register a domain that points to the sub domain and get it to mask.

so www.mysistersmusicsite.com looks like it's that, even if u right click pages or images hosted and do properties, despite it in reality being hosted on sisterssite.pauljoslin.com

will this work? or will someone see it's hosted on sistersite.pauljoslin.com when they've been sent from www.mysistersmusicsite.com

is there a better way of doing this? or cheaper hosts?

[Edited on 08-04-2008 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps. I want it to be like how

http://www.c20xe.co.uk shows up the site everywhere as beign c20xe.co.uk, even forum links or right clicks on hosted images. Despite blatently just being corsasport.
ed

8th Apr 08 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think about stuff before ou write it. It seems you have a severe case of verbal diareah, but in typing form.
John

8th Apr 08 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Think about stuff before ou write it. It seems you have a severe case of verbal diareah, but in typing form.

I just want people to know what I'm asking for - so an example is given. Otherwise i'd get people getting the wrong end of the stick and suggesting all sorts of things that are not relevant.

So is this possible?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Apr 08 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dioherrea
Nismo

8th Apr 08 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1and1.co.uk there small business package.

You can setup your domains and point them to different directorys within your webspace.

Simple as!!

Plus 1and1 have some of the best online tools on the market.
Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so Nismo, by pointing a domain at some folder or sub domain on my current webspace, it'll show everything as the domain they've been directed from?

so even if i right click an image or navigate through the site, it'll remain the domain url and not a sub folder name yeh?

I was fairly sure this was the case, but wanted to check.
Nismo

8th Apr 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Bingo!

I have the business account and i have about 9 domians, I have my webspace and i set each folder to be a specific domian.

so if if i had blah.com and i setup a folder and pointed the domian to the blah folder using 1and1 tools and then put a page called paul.html in there i could get to that page by browsing too

www.blah.com/paul.html
Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one mate

Cheers for clearing that up for me, didn't want to buy hosting and find it not to be the case.
Nismo

8th Apr 08 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can get your domains through them too, very cheap
Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, gonna be a few .com's maybe a .co.uk and a .tv

but the only thing with 1 & 1 hosting is that their basic seems v.basic and the business is quite pricey.

that ix hosting one seemed a fair price for what you get.
liamC

8th Apr 08 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am with Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com) and for 40quid a year or whatever it is [Cheapest package] the service is just simply class. Amazing.

customer service is second to NONE. Fantastic.
host as many domain names as you want.
host as many subdomains as you want.
host as many sql databases you want.
an EXCELLENT web control panel.
plus MUCH more, such as one click installs on loads of different software - osCommerce, photo galleries etc

Other than not being able to have .NET/ASP etc, as theyre Unix servers, I have yet to come across one thing on my package, and Dreamhost that is not possible.

I couldnt recommend them any higher

[Edited on 08-04-2008 by liamC]
Dom

8th Apr 08 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for starters theres no such things as unlimited space or bandwidth in hosting - it all costs money. So if you have a heavy traffic site then theres a good chance you'll get cut off.
Secondly, it's worth thinking about where you want it hosted - so if the sites are mainly uk/europe based then think about get it hosting here, if it mainly US stuff then think about getting it hosted state side. Hosting is cheaper out there and there are a number of decent hosts that are relatively quick (browsing from here to there etc).

As for you question then yes, it's a piece of piss as they say - with a decent package (ie: has CPanel etc) you will have the ability to 'Park a Domain' and create an 'Add-on Domain'.
Parking a Domain will mean, if you have www.PaulsEssays.com (the main domain registered with your hosting account) and you park the domain www.PaulsLongPosts.com, it will point that domain to the root directory of PaulsEssays.com.

Adding a domain is slightly different, instead of point the secondary (or third/fourth) domain to the root, it will (certainly under CPanel) create a subdirectory under the root and point it to that. However, this is completly transparent - ie: www.PaulsLongPosts.com will look like it was it's own account etc. This also create a subdomain under your main account domain, so PaulsLongPosts.com points to the directory root/PaulsLongPosts plus you'd have the subdomain paulslongposts.paulsessays.com etc Adding a domain (again certainly under CPanel and if your hosts supports extra domains) will automatically create an FTP account for that domain.

What you need to look out for in a package is the number of parking and add-on domains (plus extra ftp account if you want to give one to each account, users will be restricted to the pointed domain only).

You can also do it all via .htaccess (so you don't need have x amount of addon or park domains) but it can be a little messy and takes a while to perfect it properly.

It terms of hosting i use http://www.tsohost.co.uk . I've gone for the £50 a year package, which gets me 10GB space, 120GB monthly bandwidth, 500 email accounts and ftp accounts, and 5 park and 5 add-on domains, all hosted down in maidstone (25ms ping from my NTL connection here).

p.s - sorry for the essay
pow
Premium Member

8th Apr 08 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Host it on your own machine is another option paul?
Dom

8th Apr 08 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, i would recommend that you buy your domains at one place and host at another - just incase either one goes down the pan (had problems with my previous host in Dec, they shut up shop with out telling anyone and loads of people have only just managed to gain control of their domains).

So buy at 123-reg or 1and1 for the domain and then buy hosting elsewhere. You just need to point your domain(s) DNS to the nameservers of your host and give it an hour or so to filter through the DNS servers (around 24-48hrs for worldwide).
Dom

8th Apr 08 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

If you have a decent connection and upload (and check your providers T&Cs) then it's a good idea, but majority of hosts will have atleast a 100mb connection to their backbone and your site will beable to sustain more traffic.
Plus you'd have to sort out DNS if your connection is dynamic (if you can get a static address then your are sorted).
pow
Premium Member

8th Apr 08 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by pow

If you have a decent connection and upload (and check your providers T&Cs) then it's a good idea, but majority of hosts will have atleast a 100mb connection to their backbone and your site will beable to sustain more traffic.
Plus you'd have to sort out DNS if your connection is dynamic (if you can get a static address then your are sorted).

Sorting out DNS is EASY, just the case of if the connection is fast enough and if the provider allows it
Paul_J

8th Apr 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info lads, been literally years since i had websites / domains / hosting etc. That was back in the days when you like paid for 100mb space and 500mb bandwidth

I can't host it on my own connection as A ) I haven't got a machine permantly on and B ) my parents connection is balls and my uni connection will only be in use for a short while longer.

I may go for that package on tso you talk about, seems a fair price and decent deal, does that come free with any domains?

yeh I figured pretty much unlimited wouldn't mean unlimited - 'fair use policy' etc
Dom

8th Apr 08 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Cheers for the info lads, been literally years since i had websites / domains / hosting etc. That was back in the days when you like paid for 100mb space and 500mb bandwidth

I can't host it on my own connection as A ) I haven't got a machine permantly on and B ) my parents connection is balls and my uni connection will only be in use for a short while longer.

I may go for that package on tso you talk about, seems a fair price and decent deal, does that come free with any domains?

yeh I figured pretty much unlimited wouldn't mean unlimited - 'fair use policy' etc

with regards to tsohost.co.uk, no it doesn't come with any domain, it's just the hosting. They do do domain registration, but it's a little expensive (6quid for a 2year .co.uk can be had for 3/4 else where - 123reg, 1and1, uk2.net etc).

New Poll