corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » track cars (would it be worth it? pg2)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author track cars (would it be worth it? pg2)
Matt L

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 08 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

realistically how much would a decent one be? ie a nippy car that handels well?
what type of cars would you look at?
and insurance wise what happens??
quite fancy a weekend/track car (cant afford at the moment but just to start looking)

thanks in advance

[Edited on 04-04-2008 by Matt L]
Eck
Premium Member

2nd Apr 08 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go for the tried and tested French hatch Matt.

Saxo VTS/106 GTi with a good set up (Suspension, brakes, tyres), stripped and caged and you're onto a winner!

Edit: You can pick up a Saxo VTS for quite cheap these days, at around £1500 for a Phase 1.

[Edited on 02-04-2008 by Eck]
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how reliable would one be though as a purely track car seen as it would be getting death

not mechanically minded at all so dont fancy having to pay garage bills every time i've been
AK

2nd Apr 08 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just buy a pre built 205 GTi 1.9 8v

You can get a track dayone in decent enough condition for about 1k. Or you van spend a wee bit more and get a Mi16.

If i was on the look out for a fun hatch....

205 with S16 engine

I'd only look at cars you would feel confident enough to fix DIY, and something that you arent scared of! I.e do drive fast, or wreck.

We had a lot of fun in our 205 mostly as it was so easy to fix (bodge) and I didnt really care if we stuffed it into tyres etc

1 thing.... dont comprimise a track car making it a 'weekend' car if you dont have too......

We built our track 205 for about £1400.... it wasnt recored breaking quick, but it was good cheap fun and an ideal starter track car

see http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/projects/205.htm

Ryk

2nd Apr 08 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
how reliable would one be though as a purely track car seen as it would be getting death

not mechanically minded at all so dont fancy having to pay garage bills every time i've been

I can never undestand comments like that. Nothing personal I assure you and everybody says it, but my point is that my old Corsa C 1.8 got red lined in every gear almost every time it was out, and went side ways on many an occasion. I had it 18 months and it never missed a beat. I did the same with my Rx-7 and my Nova 1.2 Saloon The Vts I have now gets the same treatment. The Saxo's running extensive headwork higher comp etc etc and a load of other bits, its rapid and handles well, the only thing I would possibly advise is a better oil cooler than the standard one on a Vts. (Gti's don't have them) How is driving on a track any different to on our roads other than going flat out for maybe a little longer?? Doubt you'll go as fast though.... Saxo gets to 140 quite a bit and the Rx had 165....
I don't condone speeding one bit
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers

quote:
I'd only look at cars you would feel confident enough to fix DIY

thats every car about altho i suppose if its cheap enough to buy and set up etc and not going to be used everyday then i can start trying to fix things myself.
EwertonGSi

2nd Apr 08 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would look for a light rwd car or modify some other car to rwd.
AK

2nd Apr 08 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why? If you arent used to RWD you'll be slower. Its not tokyo drift A FWD car setup well can be as quick as a RWD. No point just saying get RWD without a reason.

Ryk - if you drive on roads like you 'should' on track then you should be banned. It isnt possible to test you car (read put as much strain on it) on roads as it would be on track.....

1 bit of advice... dont jump in stright to the engine and more BHP. Suspension and more so brakes are the most vital part of the build... then weight..... then once you know how it handles and are confident enough... more BHP.

In most cases it starts to break and cost more when the engine is played with

Also .... improving yourself shouldnt be overlooked.... Driving tuition is well worth it
DaveB

2nd Apr 08 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryk
quote:

I can never undestand comments like that. Nothing personal I assure you and everybody says it, but my point is that my old Corsa C 1.8 got red lined in every gear almost every time it was out, and went side ways on many an occasion. I had it 18 months and it never missed a beat. I did the same with my Rx-7 and my Nova 1.2 Saloon The Vts I have now gets the same treatment. The Saxo's running extensive headwork higher comp etc etc and a load of other bits, its rapid and handles well, the only thing I would possibly advise is a better oil cooler than the standard one on a Vts. (Gti's don't have them) How is driving on a track any different to on our roads other than going flat out for maybe a little longer?? Doubt you'll go as fast though.... Saxo gets to 140 quite a bit and the Rx had 165....

Its the 'duration' of the abuse thats the killer though. I seem to remember at a trackday briefing once that every 1mile on a track is the equivalent to 10 road miles. If you're seriously saying that you drive as hard on the road as you do on a track, then god help anyone shares the tarmac with you.
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
why? If you arent used to RWD you'll be slower. Its not tokyo drift A FWD car setup well can be as quick as a RWD. No point just saying get RWD without a reason.

Ryk - if you drive on roads like you 'should' on track then you should be banned. It isnt possible to test you car (read put as much strain on it) on roads as it would be on track.....

1 bit of advice... dont jump in stright to the engine and more BHP. Suspension and more so brakes are the most vital part of the build... then weight..... then once you know how it handles and are confident enough... more BHP.

In most cases it starts to break and cost more when the engine is played with

Also .... improving yourself shouldnt be overlooked.... Driving tuition is well worth it

yeh suspension and brakes are the first (after doing it on my corsa last and finding they were the best thing i ever did to it )

Norledge

2nd Apr 08 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 205 that needs building if you want it
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norledge
I've got a 205 that needs building if you want it

free? lol. cant afford at the moment just looking for cars to look at really lol.
Norledge

2nd Apr 08 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£400

Mint 1.9 engine and box needs fitting and needs a bootlid
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would of but cant afford for a while.
Paul_J

2nd Apr 08 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think AK speaks sense... just get a already track prepped 205...

or go for an elise or something if you can stretch to that?
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldn't mind an elise or caterham tbh but im only an accounts apprentice atm so wages arent brilliant lol.
EwertonGSi

2nd Apr 08 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

I´m talking about concept. History shows that the proper track car is rwd as rally car is awd. Of couse there are many other cars that can be as fast but what kind of driving style you are looking for?
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt mind a slighty tale happy car but atm i just want one that has really good handling with a bit of poke
Ryk

2nd Apr 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveB
quote:
Originally posted by Ryk
quote:

Its the 'duration' of the abuse thats the killer though. I seem to remember at a trackday briefing once that every 1mile on a track is the equivalent to 10 road miles. If you're seriously saying that you drive as hard on the road as you do on a track, then god help anyone shares the tarmac with you.

Yeah I understand exactly where you and AK are coming from but my point was really about engines and maintenence really. And the fact that I can't see it making a huge difference. I've never been on a track day though so i'm only casting aspursions.
Obviously I don't drive insane all the time but I do like to give it a back road thrashing every so often, on roads I know at night.
Around me there are plenty of roads to hit the red line in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd before braking safely for a round-a-bout.
Suppose I've given the impression now I drive like a tool Ooops, thats not true
Ryk

2nd Apr 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and I'll reiterate what everyone seems to be saying, leave the engine standard at first. Brakes and more so the handling will make the car far quicker.
PS. As AK said, 205 Gti, awesome car for the track, could be a little tail happy, quick, decent chasis and would certainly put a smile on your face!
Matt L

2nd Apr 08 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a 205 gti on pistonhead atm for 650 which is track ready. gutted i dont have the funds to get it though.
SportBoy

2nd Apr 08 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought i drove like a nutter sometimes untill i went on track .. broke a front hub .. been on the car for 20k on the road with no probs .. first trackday and it dies .. aswell as the front tyres
Paul_J

2nd Apr 08 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wouldnt mind a slighty tale happy car but atm i just want one that has really good handling with a bit of poke

thing is, I know what AK's saying. I was the same... I remember thinking years ago, before i did any track days... 'I want something RWD, and I want something turbo'd LOL'...

but the reality is, on your 'average' track day, the people who can push their car to the limit and go quick are usually the FWD people... you'll find most people with the RWD cars, take it fairly easy through the bends, making sure they don't get the back end out... (infact most track days these days don't want you to get the back end out, they say if you want to do that, do it on a drift day)...

Where as a well sorted FWD car, you can drive it on the limit through a bend quickly with no real risks, worst that'll happen is it'll understeer out a bit by pushing too hard or oversteer if you lift / brake mid bend.

Matt L are you coming to the combe action day? I'll take you out in my 106 on track if you want? - though you can get much more track orientated FWD car's than mine, like a really well sorted 205 or even integra DC2 or something
AK

2nd Apr 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guy on trackscotland has just bought a funky civic

rwd is a daft idea that is normally punted by folk with no idea.... no being an arse, just honest

I've had a few RWD's (2 supra, 1 skyline) a few 4x4 (Impreza, Skyline) and a fair amount of FWD (2x 2.0 track corsas, track 205 etc)

light modest power FWD is the best way to start
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Apr 08 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by EwertonGSi
History shows that the proper track car is rwd as rally car is awd.
They're also driven by professionals. We're talking about starting out.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » track cars (would it be worth it? pg2) 22 database queries in 0.0091422 seconds