corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » clever web related geek people in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author clever web related geek people in here
liamC

User status: Offline
25th Mar 08 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically i want to create a sort of 'dropzone' web environment

for example: if someone wants to send me a file which is too big to send via email, then they can go to www.domain.com/dropzone, login using a username and password, and have an interface where they can choose the file on the computer, then upload the file to webspace

does anyone know of any such (ideally free) software to do this?
dannymccann

25th Mar 08 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think ive used BulletProof FTP in the past. It can be 'procured' freely Basically uses your computer as a server and people log in to your server via a browser and the internet and then they can simply upload files through the FTP straight onto a folder on your computer
radicalry00

25th Mar 08 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.rapidshare.com or similar site? and use a password protected rar file.

[Edited on 25-03-2008 by radicalry00]
liamC

25th Mar 08 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know all about FTPs, Rapidshare and the like, but want something that I can implement standalone solely for the use of me and my users, through an internet browser.

Then each user can have their own space, and I can add new users, delete users, then they can upload files
dannymccann

25th Mar 08 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what the FTP thing does for ya?

edit - the one i mentioned above allows you to create users with different permissions, different access, up/down limits etc etc

[Edited on 25-03-2008 by dannymccann]
liamC

25th Mar 08 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't want to have users having to install and run programs. Simply to go to www.domain.com/dropzone, log in, and upload their files
dannymccann

25th Mar 08 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can, you specify a port and IP address and they simply type 000.000.0.0000 and then it pops up with a login screen and password and then they can see an interface
liamC

25th Mar 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but on Bulletproof FTP you have to download and install to access the FTPs no?
dannymccann

25th Mar 08 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope you simply access it through the browser (the user). AFAIR it creates like a directory system and a button to click to Upload files (select which file like when adding an attachment to an email). It may have changed since but it was definetly like that a couple of years ago when I tried setting it up at home (couldnt get wireless LAN file access to work and it worked brill through this).

Someone should be along to confirm it though
dannymccann

25th Mar 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This what you are looking for?

http://lifehacker.com/software/home-server/how-to-set-up-a-home-ftp-server-130806.php
liamC

25th Mar 08 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

similar mate

think ive found something which i want: http://www.net2ftp.com/

will look into it...
Paul_J

25th Mar 08 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/fileupload.aspx

I could probably code something similar to this... but too busy at the mo with other work.

That page has source code though, so just adapt it to fit.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Mar 08 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If we're talking files which are too large to email then you probably don't want to upload them using a web form either. Not only it is very difficult indeed to keep the user informed of the status of the upload, you'll also usually have a script timeout of around 300 seconds after which the server will assume the script has crashed and close it.

Do your maths and make sure you're not limited by this.
Dom

25th Mar 08 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the hosting space to do it, then it isn't a hard proceedure - just look at PHP file uploading, im sure there are already made apps that can be setup to allow for multi-user file uploading.

Unless you have a decent upload and download connection at home, i really wouldn't bother setting up an FTP server, especially as a number of people could easily max it out making it damn right slow for everyone.

The other solution, and probably the easiest and best, is that most hosting accounts will offer a number of ftp accounts - for example, my hosting with Tsohost.co.uk (uk hosted) offer 500 ftp accounts. And as i have 10GB of storage and 125GB of monthly bandwidth (package is £50 a year) it's greate for storage, and it's about a 10 second job setting up an ftp account using CPanel. Coupled with net2ftp.com it's a good solution, especially as the server has a Gigabite connection down in London, Docklands so speed (to clients/users downloading or uploading a file) isn't really an issue.

New Poll