corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Man United vs Liverpool - Build up and banter thread.

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Man United vs Liverpool - Build up and banter thread.
PhilC

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo...

I have a tin of worms, and a can opener...

If Liverpool have not looked anywhere near a side that could beat United in recent years, what makes you think that a game in Moscow is gonna be any different?

Just to rule out the standard Liverpool fans reply...

It doesn't matter that its a European game, because you still playing the top Premiership side.

[Edited on 23-03-2008 by PhilC]
Cosmo

23rd Mar 08 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PhilC
If Liverpool have not looked anywhere near a side that could beat United in recent years, what makes you think that a game in Moscow is gonna be any different?

Just to rule out the standard Liverpool fans reply...

It doesn't matter that its a European game, because you still playing the top Premiership side.

Errrmmm...you really need to ask such a stupid question?

Our team didnt look like a side that could beat Juventus in 2005...we did.
Our team didnt look like a side that could beat Chelsea in 2005...we did.
Our team didnt look like a side that could beat AC Milan in 2005...we did.
Our team didnt look like a side that could beat Barcelona in 2007...we did.
Our team didnt look like a side that could beat Chelsea in 2007...we did.
Our team didnt look like a side that could beat Inter Milan in 2008...we did.

Thats 6 reasons for you.

And I'll also argue the fact we havent looked like a side that can beat you guys in recent years. I wont argue we havent got the results, but in the last few years we have had some really tight games against you lot, with late goals for you being the difference between the two teams. So Im not saying I'd like you guys as a win is a sure result, but its certainly not a dead cert win for you either.
PhilC

23rd Mar 08 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought this would be the answer...

It's not a stupid question. Here's why.

Liverpool do play a european style of football, and play it better than most. Quick tempo, passing style of play.

Discount the Chelsea games... Reason for this is that in my opinion, liverpool can be a better team than Chelsea. The only reason they are ahead of you in the league is Liverpools inconsistancy. With both sides playing at their best, I'd expect Liverpool to come out on top. Despite this, it did that a goal line clearance and a penalty shootout to beat them, even in "european form".

AC Milan 2005... It's a win, no arguments. Although yet again, not a convincing one by any means. Milan hammered Liverpool first half, Liverpool hammered Milan in the second.
Again, penalties.

All I remember about the Juve game was Garcia's volley, so I can't comment on that.
Don't remember much about the Barca games either, but I do recall them being extremely close.

Basically, the only top European team Liverpool have beaten, and looked good for the win (Juve also?) was the Inter Milan ties this season, and you were playing against 10 men.

Living in Liverpool, I have gto listen to this crap all the time about how Liverpool are the best club in Europe etc etc. It's simply not the case. The can compete at the top level, but ultimately, it's just good fortune that gets them through the rounds.

If Liverpool do meet either Arsenal or United in europe, their european form makes no difference at all, and I'd be extremely surprised to see them win anything this season, because they won't beat either.

Edit... Comso, just read the last 2 lines. I respect that you have a significantly reduced lvel of optimism when compared the the Liverpools fan I direct my about rant to! Realistic Liverpool fans are extremely rare. It;s the "we'll beat any team in europe!!" ones I refer to

PhilC

23rd Mar 08 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has basically continued from a heated debate i was having with my mate on messenger before he went to some food.

He's the annoying type...

"We're the most successful English club of all time!"
"We'll beat any team in Europe"

The best of the evening was...

"We aim to beat teams over two legs. That's why Milan won in 2007. It's just sods law"

Muppet
JM Curdy

24th Mar 08 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but cosmo use can beat top sides from italy spain france etc but when it comes to it use cant beat sides from england, if use come up against us in the final i fully expect the same result, the premiership is such high quality

quote me on that in moscow
JM Curdy

24th Mar 08 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt they say liverpool havent taken a point in 5 games and not scored a single goal in 5 games or something like that, trying to remember off the top of my head, poor stats if so

edit: against united
edit edit: stella artois has no affilliation with the above statements

[Edited on 24-03-2008 by JM Curdy]

[Edited on 24-03-2008 by JM Curdy]
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM Curdy
but cosmo use can beat top sides from italy spain france etc but when it comes to it use cant beat sides from england, if use come up against us in the final i fully expect the same result, the premiership is such high quality

quote me on that in moscow

Are Chelsea not an English side now?
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Basically, the only top European team Liverpool have beaten, and looked good for the win (Juve also?) was the Inter Milan ties this season, and you were playing against 10 men.

FPMSL....this sums up the whole essay you wrote tbh.

Juve were Italian Champions when we beat them 2-1 at home, and kept it to 0-0 away.
Chelsea were Premiership Champions in 2005 when we beat them in the semi finals.
Barca were Spanish Champions and by far the favs to win the CL that season when we beat them AWAY 2-1.

So OK, you keep telling yourself that the only 'top' side is Inter
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it's just good fortune that gets them through the rounds.

Thought that deserved quoting and laughing at too tbh

quote:

Edit... Comso, just read the last 2 lines. I respect that you have a significantly reduced lvel of optimism when compared the the Liverpools fan I direct my about rant to! Realistic Liverpool fans are extremely rare. It;s the "we'll beat any team in europe!!" ones I refer to

I do see this fairly often on Liverpool forums, and although I wont agree with it 100% I dont think you can argue that we have beaten the vast majority of top teams that have been drawn against us in the last 3yrs.

Nismo

24th Mar 08 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still think even if it was 11 on 11 United would have still won. Much better team on the day, and have been on form lately, cannot fault them at the momment.

Allthough they only just got a draw against us
Nath

24th Mar 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
I still think even if it was 11 on 11 United would have still won.

They were winning 1-0 already so probably right. I couldn't see Liverpool scoring.
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably right tbh....we have had a small problem with scoring against United in past seasons
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no doubting Liverpool can get the results in Europe. I agree that with 11 men they still wouldn't have scored. Maybe United wouldn't have scored anymore either.

Facing Liverpool in Europe will be no differant to facing them in the league. That draw would come down to the best team on the day. Knowing Liverpool they'd get the result!
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Knowing Liverpool they'd get the result!

We are due a result against you, so no better place to do it then in a CL final
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would just be typical, another year gone by where we havn't won the CL, another CL title for you and the biggest win you could possibly ever have over United!
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it will happen though tbh I can see us beating Arsenal but I cant see us getting past Chelsea in a semi final for the 3rd time.

And if it did, and we met you in the final, I wouldnt like to think of the mayhem it will be in Moscow...or how shite it would be if we lost
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we're in agreement then, both teams will bow out at the semis to save both teams any embarrassment.
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, your lot can and we can go on to face non-British opponents in the final and win.

Well, thats if we can get lucky and the opposition (Barca?) isnt classed as a top European team.
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After Arsenals performance yesterday you might well be through to the semis
Tom

24th Mar 08 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I thought this would be the answer...

It's not a stupid question. Here's why.

Liverpool do play a european style of football, and play it better than most. Quick tempo, passing style of play.

Discount the Chelsea games... Reason for this is that in my opinion, liverpool can be a better team than Chelsea. The only reason they are ahead of you in the league is Liverpools inconsistancy. With both sides playing at their best, I'd expect Liverpool to come out on top. Despite this, it did that a goal line clearance and a penalty shootout to beat them, even in "european form".

AC Milan 2005... It's a win, no arguments. Although yet again, not a convincing one by any means. Milan hammered Liverpool first half, Liverpool hammered Milan in the second.
Again, penalties.

All I remember about the Juve game was Garcia's volley, so I can't comment on that.
Don't remember much about the Barca games either, but I do recall them being extremely close.

Living in Liverpool, I have gto listen to this crap all the time about how Liverpool are the best club in Europe etc etc. It's simply not the case. The can compete at the top level, but ultimately, it's just good fortune that gets them through the rounds.

If Liverpool do meet either Arsenal or United in europe, their european form makes no difference at all, and I'd be extremely surprised to see them win anything this season, because they won't beat either.

How unblinkered of you to generalise a set of fans, these 'we'll beat any team in europe' fans you speak of exist but there's also a school of thought that man utd fans can't give liverpool praise when they do get results in europe as well demonstrated above (if your a manc ).

Winning things by close margins is something I thought man utd fans would be familiar with and extra minutes being added to games that have a 96th minute winner circumstances such as playing ten men is not in our power to control

All of that said, I quite happily sat and watched the match with a mate who supports man utd yesterday and as much banter as there was there was also a sensible level of debate about the game of football, so tarring liverpool fans in that way is a bit out of order imo.
Cosmo

24th Mar 08 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
so tarring liverpool fans in that way is a bit out of order imo.

Yet strangely not unexpected from some United fans - although I have to say Marc has been a little too quiet about all this
Tom

24th Mar 08 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes agreed
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Yet strangely not unexpected from some United fans - although I have to say Marc has been a little too quiet about all this

Robbo

24th Mar 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think we'll thump liveprool at home in the CL... itll be the anfield leg that will prove decisive imo
p

24th Mar 08 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Man United vs Liverpool - Build up and banter thread. 23 database queries in 0.1908772 seconds