corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
7th Jul 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick update. Tonight adam and i fitted some Eibach sprintline springs to the front of the GSi. Hoping to serve 2 purposes, with a number of reasons. I want the ride to be better and the handling to be a little more stable and predictable. pretty simple really.

So, after some research, i decided to buy the Eibachs off ad, and get them on the front. These are the best springs for the Bilstein shocks i've got, so should do the job nicely. The spax's weren't a bad spring, but from what i expect from it, and having no ARB on the front, the springs are doing alot of work, and tbh, the spax's just werent complimenting the B8's at all. Even driving home the car feels much more composed.

The Eibachs are a much higher rate than the SSX's so that should certainly make quite a difference. I have left the Spax springs on the back for the 50mm drop. With no weight in the back, its not too important tbh, so i havent put the 30mm eibach rears on.

Just gotta get the tracking done tomorrow and it should be even better through the bends.

I also took all the engine parts to AB for cleaning, honing and polishing. The block, crank, pistons and new rings are all there getting sorted out and hopefully i will be getting them back all ready for getting put together and eventually...in the car.

thats all for now folks...
chrex

9th Jul 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crappy update...

AB rang me before and having tried to hone the worst of the cylinders on the XE block, its no good...too much of a lip for a stock rebuild. If i want to get it sorted i need to bore it out.

I dont know what to do now because the only thing to do is to get new pistons if i get it bored out, and thats at least £400. Bit disheartening, all i've done is throw money at this engine and it just keeps throwing back at me. Considering i got mis-sold it in the first place its a bit shite. Am fed up with it and i really dont know what to do.

I dont want to XE it, so the only other option is find a C16XE or maybe a 1.6 8v turbo.

When i eventually get this block out...its getting burnt, bent, belted and whatever else i may be able to do with it...all it has done is piss me off and be the most expensive piece of shit ever.

Rant over.
ali_corsa

9th Jul 09 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a chap on allcorsa with an 8v block for £50? worth a shot or someone on mk3oc with a ne engine dont think they want much bloke i brought mine off told me about another person with one forsale
chrex

9th Jul 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, but is it just gonna be the same again!

the XE block i gave em had done 70k, so thats not exactly alot. Unfortunately...most of them are gonna need a rebore unless its less than 50k.
ali_corsa

9th Jul 09 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, just do it you know you want too have it bored out to a 2.1 that get youre compression up haha
Adam-D

9th Jul 09 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make a table out of the old block.

have it totally powder coated.
chrex

9th Jul 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...that is something i want to do ad...but not yet.

Ali - i will end up getting it bored tbh. I can see another stupid amount of money going into it! Woo...

If i'd been sold the right fuckin engine in the first place, then this wouldnt be a problem!

[Edited on 09-07-2009 by chrex]
chrex

18th Jul 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE - PLANS

Right, i have got my head around what needs doing and what im going to do now, so thought i'd let you all know.

Plans for rebuild
- Rebore of cylinders to 87mm, increasing capacity to 2050cc and removing dish and lips from linings.
- Brand new AE/Mahle 87mm standard pattern XE pistons. Will raise the compression to 11.3 and kick the power up quite a bit. Will run the XE rods.
- SEH crank Polished up and restored. Doesnt need a regrind - has been checked and is fine.
- Heavy Duty, Holden main and big end bearings.
- ARP rod bolts, Vauxhall standard main cap bolts.
- New oil pump internals swapped into old pump casing (recommended as original casing is stronger and better quality).
- Custom Cometic head gasket to match 8v head to bored 16v block.
- Lightened Alternator drive pulley (single V).

So yea, just got to get the money together and it should be done in a couple of months. This one i have got is smoking badly. Need this done asap though and want the car running right so i can enjoy it before our lovely weather goes and i cant take it to wales.

[Edited on 01-08-2009 by chrex]
chrex

31st Jul 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

update - XE 'on order'

Well, having grown tired with this engine i've got...as it just doesnt like me, i have decided to bite the bullet, and go 16v. Its a surefire way to get the power, and although there will be an XE in there, the carbs will continue to fuel my driving!

I should have an XE courtesy of 'Philip2' in the next couple of weeks, and then once various bits are collected - the inlet and exhaust manifolds, and the bulkhead cut away to suit...the engine will be put in.

So it will probably still be a couple of months, but there is some progress.

The 8v bits will be for sale once its out - so i will have an SEH-R1 carb manifold and although the bottom end is shagged, the head is newly cammed, ported and polished, so that is certainly something of use to anyone with an 8v currently in their car...

so, yea! Bit of a big turn... just decided it was the way to go yesterday afternoon, and txt phil to see what he had. Good times ahead eh...

chrex

19th Aug 09 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, although i have no major update, i am now definitely getting the XE at the end of the month, and i have also ordered my Bogg Brothers inlet manifold for the carbs. Am hoping i can get the engines swapped and everthing sorted in the weekend or so that i have got. I'm going to cut the battery tray out whilst the engine bay is empty and generally tidy where i didnt before the 8v went in...

once i know everything is dandy, the XE will get put in. Should be a pretty easy swap. The piping and everything is all in place for it, so it shouldnt take too long to get everything set-up. Not looking forward to the lack of engine bay space, but i'm looking forward to the extra power and reliability.

Will keep you all posted on the progress!

[Edited on 19-08-2009 by chrex]
marklawton

19th Aug 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you aiming to get it in for then mate?
Adam-D

20th Aug 09 at 05:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couple of months i think,
philip2

20th Aug 09 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

soon as ive sorted my new unit out and can start on the motor
chrex

20th Aug 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...once i've got the motor, i should also have an inlet at the end of the month. its just a case of get 8v out...couple of things to tidy up, and get the XE in. want it done in september.
chrex

29th Aug 09 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, adam and i took a trip a local scrappy today and pulled an XE from a corsa. We checked it and put our name on it on thursday, and i noticed then that the shafts looked rather beefy. so, when we took it apart today, what i originally thought was confirmed...a motorsport hub and shaft kit

some pics of the car in question:

So i will be putting new CV boots on everything and swapping the hubs over to use these beauties.

Once i have the XE, i will be putting new track rod ends, ball joints and lower arms that i have got sat here, so the brakes will be swapped onto the m'sport hubs and they will be put on the car. Another piece of good fortune to add to the story!

Went to see Phil today too about the engine, and it should be done 2 weeks from now, and with my bogg brothers inlet also coming this week...its all shaping up now (and costing lots).

[Edited on 02-09-2009 by chrex]
marklawton

29th Aug 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u jammy get, i heard about that and went down but he wouldnt let me anywhere near it as he said someone was coming back to look at the engine etc, think that was last wednesday. how much did you get everything for? lol. anything left on it?
Adam-D

30th Aug 09 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removeing engine when you have had a heavy night, is erm interesting, i still haven't looked it over, or decided what im gonna do with it

there isn't anything left. there is a lad there who wanted bits.
you might get elec window motor's, a beam poss passenger door and half a sri interior.
chrex

30th Aug 09 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mad, mad man. thing is...i txt him about 11 saying "remember we are stripping an engine out tomorrow!".

still...it was a fun morning. there wasnt much left tbh mark. like adam says, little bits you will get. Had lockwood dials but they had faded yellow, i tried to have the bucket seat but he said i couldn't
chrex

2nd Sep 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, although the weather was crap for the omst par ttoday, i managed to get something done...although i did have a few jobs lined up.

i get straight into the hubs and shafts first thing. Brakes were taken off and i then pulled the shaft out of the CV in the hub. They seemed okay, and so i re-packed them with CV grease and bought 4 boots for them. I have a passionate hatred for CV's, and they have been the bane of this project so far...with them never quite being right...but i think that these will solve the problem.

The new boots had easily tightened clips with them, so i was able to easily tighten them up and ensure they arent going anywhere...Woo!!

So, with the manifold now paid for and on its way, and the engine due next weekend...i have got the shafts built and ready to go straight on. I am going to get new ball joints and track rods to go on, and i already have new lower arms here, unsure on whether to polybush them...as its more money.

i have decided that when i am off for 2 weeks at the start of october is the perfect time to get the engine in and running. i dont have to worry about going to work...and i will have been paid and so able to afford the oils and other little things that i will need for it. Plus time to give it a decent journey to run it in.

Will keep you posted with updates...heres some photos from the day's work!

Hubs pre-strippage:

Shafts out:

Shaft size comparison - m'sport on left, 1.6 on right:
philip2

3rd Sep 09 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope you got that exhaust manifold too, as pretty sure that isnt standard!
taylor2008

3rd Sep 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine have you got the r1 carbs on now then mate? wats it run like with them on? keep up the good work
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had the same thing with the first XE i bought, load of shite but was cheap, found out it had snapped a cambelt in the past as ther was slight valve marks on the pistons, only saw this after i had rebuilt the cylinder head

ended up stripping the whole lot and selling it off in bits to coup the cash back, only things left are the inlet and rocker and cam covers

i had the same situation with the bottom end, but instead of rebuilding it i put the cash towards another XE instead

glad to see u found another, very lucky to get one in a scrappy, keep it up you'll get there
chrex

3rd Sep 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylor2008
what engine have you got the r1 carbs on now then mate? wats it run like with them on? keep up the good work

currently on the SEH (2.0 8v). runs great on the carbs, but the bottom end is veery tired...so that is loosing me alot of power!

thats why the XE is going in. I got my inlet manifold today...pics in about 10 mins.
chrex

3rd Sep 09 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
had the same thing with the first XE i bought, load of shite but was cheap, found out it had snapped a cambelt in the past as ther was slight valve marks on the pistons, only saw this after i had rebuilt the cylinder head

ended up stripping the whole lot and selling it off in bits to coup the cash back, only things left are the inlet and rocker and cam covers

i had the same situation with the bottom end, but instead of rebuilding it i put the cash towards another XE instead

glad to see u found another, very lucky to get one in a scrappy, keep it up you'll get there

that engine isnt for mine...thats Adams, i just didnt have anywhere to put the pics.

mine is a rebuild by philip2...i should get that next weekend. very excited.
taylor2008

3rd Sep 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
quote:
Originally posted by taylor2008

currently on the SEH (2.0 8v). runs great on the carbs, but the bottom end is veery tired...so that is loosing me alot of power!

thats why the XE is going in. I got my inlet manifold today...pics in about 10 mins.

where did you get the manifold from in the end, i will be doing the same as you soon, when funds allow carbs should be here soon tho, is your the dizzy or coil pack??

<<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.0226021 seconds