corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
12th Jun 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its an NE...

115@ fly standard

if i can get the SEH bottom end, that adds 15bhp. So thats probs the next move...shouldnt be hugely expensive tbh either. rebuild parts are about £85, so i can do that...but i also wanna try XE pistons, rods and crank on it too, they have a flatter surface and are stronger.
Daimo B

12th Jun 09 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, I was on about the original X16XE in the blue GSi on page 1. Its an X16XE not XEL
chrex

12th Jun 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it had an XEL bottom end
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phonecall update.

its pretty much done, but they cant get any more than 105@wheels. Its smoking quite heavily on the overrun so the bottom end is completely hammered. This certainly accounts for the pretty extreme power loss, so im hoping i can get another one sorted and on before it gets real, real bad. hopefully in the next week or so.

Shame because im gonna have to take it easy even tho i've had a new cam fitted.
philip2

13th Jun 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounded well yesterday whenthen were putting it in before leaving. they said the bottom end was fubard
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye...i have spoken to ade this morn and i am going down to get it about 3-4 once i can get a lift off my mate. if it aint done then i will have to wait about...

have been trying to sort the problem since yesterday morning, but im sunsure whether i am getting the spec'd up 8v that i was sold originally...

i will run it like this and just take it easy, then once i know whats going on i will either rebuild the bottom end i have here or have the other one to throw onto it.
philip2

13th Jun 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did here its ment to have flat top pistons and few other bits in there too.

might see you down there, ill be there in about 30min anyway
ali_corsa

13th Jun 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plans sounds good chrex, will be interesting to see what it will put out with the bottom end work. you arent holding back the money on this.
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i've got it back now, and the drive home was fun. I decided i couldnt be bothered holding back and just gave it stick. Responds so much better and the power is now following all the way up to 6600 (it was tailing off at 4300 before).

I have got some pics to put up that were taken of the bottom end and the head they took off...and the pistons are in a bit of a mess...so that is defo next on the list!

Phil, was it you standing next to the landy wit andy? You should have introduced yourself! I wasnt sure which is why i didnt approach you... Sorrry about that!

Will get some pics up shortly...but first impressions are good. Power increase of 10bhp, but the response and how it carries that power is superb. Just got to give it some compression to give it the boot now!
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, some photos that they took whilst doin the job. One old engine...

Old port

New Port

So yea...new pistons defo required. They can hone the bores on my other block, as well as polishing the crank and then putting the thing together, although i think i can build it up for the most part. We shall see. This week could be a big one if i get the performance engine tho!...

chrex

13th Jun 09 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and i have also just bought some XE pistons for £35 delivered...so thats all good...already starting to come together...
Olsrey

13th Jun 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame about the bottom end but onwards and upwards.
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed...
Jon_C
Premium Member

13th Jun 09 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be lovely once its finished. Good on you for doing something a bit different
ali_corsa

13th Jun 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
oh, and i have also just bought some XE pistons for £35 delivered...so thats all good...already starting to come together...

thats a bargin, shame you dont live closer wouldnt actually mind seeing this up and running, give me a few idea's for mine, hope ive helped you out on some bits if you need any tightening torques ive got autodata so give us a shout
andyc1234

13th Jun 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bottom end doesnt look that bad tbh i have seen worse if rings were shot it would shite black smoke out all the time
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure you will at some point.

you have indeed helped me greatly! I've got autodata in work too, so its all good...but i may well need some more help when i start getting the XE pistons sorted.

One thing i wanted to ask, can i use the XE con rods too?? the pistons are on the Rods already and if the little ends are ok, it would be easier to just clean the lot, bosh some rings on and put them in.
ali_corsa

13th Jun 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
im sure you will at some point.

you have indeed helped me greatly! I've got autodata in work too, so its all good...but i may well need some more help when i start getting the XE pistons sorted.

One thing i wanted to ask, can i use the XE con rods too?? the pistons are on the Rods already and if the little ends are ok, it would be easier to just clean the lot, bosh some rings on and put them in.

pass on that one, i really cant remember if we used the ne rods for a reason or not. but saying that if the bore and stroke are the same and the bottom ends are the same as what they use on 16vs theoretically it should be okay. but do a bit of reasurch into that im 99% sure it would be okay. just ask around a few people see what they say or if you know an old vauxhall technician, i will ask a bloke at my place i think he said they was the same as well. i would put some shells in it as well, for how much they cost its worth it.
philip2

13th Jun 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah that was me, almost took you out in the mighty polo when i turned up! sorry lol

i would of said something but you and ya mate seemed too busy and wanted to just get home lol.

i ended up taking the landy for a blast...there shite!
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ali_corsa

pass on that one, i really cant remember if we used the ne rods for a reason or not. but saying that if the bore and stroke are the same and the bottom ends are the same as what they use on 16vs theoretically it should be okay. but do a bit of reasurch into that im 99% sure it would be okay. just ask around a few people see what they say or if you know an old vauxhall technician, i will ask a bloke at my place i think he said they was the same as well. i would put some shells in it as well, for how much they cost its worth it.

yea i will look into it. i have NE rods, but if the XE ones are the same, then i will just put them in. I have a feeling the XE ones are slightly stronger...better metal.

chrex

13th Jun 09 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
yeah that was me, almost took you out in the mighty polo when i turned up! sorry lol

i would of said something but you and ya mate seemed too busy and wanted to just get home lol.

i ended up taking the landy for a blast...there shite!

oh sorry buddy! nono, thats me, i rush round a bit...especially when im excited. i took the GSi for a drive...went straight on at the roundabout by airbus and found that road..... how immense is that!!

lol, so when i got back, i dunno if you could but i could certainly smell the brakes, which i had warmed up nicely and the car had pleased me with its performance.

Its does power right through to 6600 now, it just needs some compression and it will be pretty quick i reckon!

next time i cya, i will endeavour to have a chat!
philip2

13th Jun 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs matey, andy got 110 from that little roundabout that you hit to the one where turn left to go broughton in mates corsa LET not even booting it!

some of the roads are quite good for blasts around there, just need to know where they are

btw the 10bhp is at the wheels not the fly,doesnt sound much, but its about 16-18bhp gained at the fly roughly. so not bad tbh.
chrex

13th Jun 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough. yea its a great little area to drive...

im happy with the gains for now...but i think some competition valves, kent/piper springs and a new bottom end are on the cards and gonna have to be done!
chrex

14th Jun 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, i found my spare crank and block today...that have been sat around since last March (2008). So i have got to take them up to AB on Tuesday to see what they think of the condition and i should have the pistons arriving midweek, so i will see if they can let me degrease the lot in their hot bath...and see how much they can get bearings and rings for. Plus they will need to Hone the block and polish the crank at least i know that much!

Could have a new bottom end build up by the end of the month, which means i could have a huge jump in power sorted by this time next month.

will keep the updates rolling...going through a busy period at the moment, which is always good (although not on the wallet).

[Edited on 14-06-2009 by chrex]
Adam-D

14th Jun 09 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.7 squirters......

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.3268840 seconds