corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car-with-spanner light on dashboard on Corsa C

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car-with-spanner light on dashboard on Corsa C
br0k3n

User status: Offline
7th Feb 08 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Corsa C 1.0L with a persistent fault which has got gradually worse.

Sometimes I have real trouble starting the car. Nowadays, nine out of ten times it won't start first turn of the key. If it does start, a light comes on on the instrument panel. It's a car with a spanner over it. Implies it's in need of service. The manual indicates a few things, none of which are helpful to me.

Anyway, driving around in this "mode" the car feels very sluggish (even for a 1.0L!).

Don't get me wrong, I can work around it no probs. If it doesn't start I leave it five seconds and then try again and it turns over nicely. I will probably get the light again, so I switch off and try again.

Seems to be the first time I start it after leaving it for so long. Has nothing to do with temperature because this started happening last summer when temperatures were high. I do 8k miles a year so it's not like it's being left for too long - I drive it every day.

It was under warranty and has been in THREE times and each time they have failed to diagnose the problem or they've said it's "normal".

I am sorry, but a car with 40k on the clock failing to start first turn of the key has a problem.

Anybody got any clues? I'm handy with a spanner so can replace any parts but I need help diagnosing the fault.

Incidently the car is no longer under warranty and I wonder if the garage will find a fault now that the repair is chargeable...

Cheers.
scottyp1989

7th Feb 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give it a service thats what the light is for. 40k is normaly time for a service AFAIK
br0k3n

7th Feb 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
give it a service thats what the light is for. 40k is normaly time for a service AFAIK

It's had four services, one per year, the last one being only two months ago. And it was over 40k when it had its last service.

I'm sure it said in the manual that there might be an electrical fault. From what I remember, the light means MANY different things. I will dig the manual out tomorrow.
scottyp1989

7th Feb 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that case then take it somewhere that does services an get them to turn it off
ainsley_brader

8th Feb 08 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its also used as a fault light as well as a service light i believe.

Any decent workshop should be able to read the code. Have you had it into vauxhall?
DarkBahamut

8th Feb 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car with spanner light is not a 'service light' at all. The service indicator on a Corsa C is displayed as InSP in the trip milage display.

The car with spanner light indicates a fault with the engine electronics (pretty much the same as the EML on a Corsa B). You'll need to take it to a garage to get the fault code looked at.
Warren G

8th Feb 08 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try crank sensor
bieransri

8th Feb 08 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a few of these in work where this light has been on.

had the key recoded and it sorted it
its the chip and transponder not communicating thats causing the light to come on as its an immobiliser fault.

would explain the strugling starting but not the sluggishness.

crank sensor would/should bring eml on as im pretty sure the newer vauxhalls have both the car with spanner(electronics) light ond the usual eml light
DarkBahamut

9th Feb 08 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the light flashes with the ignition on then its an immobiliser fault. If it does not flash then its an engine electrics problem. He'll need to get the code checked out. Saves all the guess work.

New Poll