corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » creating SSH tunnel (windows)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author creating SSH tunnel (windows)
Dom

User status: Offline
5th Feb 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does anyone know about creating SSH tunnel between two windows systems?
I want to be able to use VNC to my home system from work but my works internet is heavily locked down - only ports 80, 443, 110, 25 are available outbound.
I've had a good read around and thinking about using either freeSSHd/copSSH or SecureCRT for the SSH server and then putty on the client side - but am a little lost.

One question i have though, i don't have access to the router at work - so would using the said ports (above) work? And if i port forwarded say port 443 on my home router to my system, would that stop other people using HTTPS on my network?

cheers all
pow
Premium Member

6th Feb 08 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What inbound ports are available?
Dom

6th Feb 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
What inbound ports are available?

pretty much what i listed - 443, 80, 110, 25. My end i can do what i want but im pretty restricted at work. Thats why im trying to create a tunnel to system so i can do what ever i want.
Tim
Site Administrator

6th Feb 08 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As previously mentioned.... SSL-Explorer. Only requires port 443 open outbound (or works through a proxy that allows HTTPS CONNECTs too).

Don't need to SSH -- it even features a VNC client, which downloads/launches from your server (so you don't need to install one locally).

If you forward port 443 to your system, it won't stop anyone else viewing secure websites. It would just stop them being able to host one too (on the same external IP/port anyway).

[Edited on 06-02-2008 by Tim]
pow
Premium Member

6th Feb 08 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I being real stupid but can't you just change VNC to connect via port 80 or 443?
Dom

7th Feb 08 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But from what i remember, SSL Explorer required me to port forward at work and i can't do that. I'll give it another go but i could never get it to work
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Feb 08 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No port forwards at work. What would you need to forward? That's the whole point of software like this. If you can connect to a secure server like https://corsasport.co.uk, then it'll work

SSL-Explorer is essentially only doing the same thing as an SSH tunnel (but over the commonly open and convenient SSL ports).

[Edited on 07-02-2008 by Tim]
Dom

7th Feb 08 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am i right that i install SSL-Explorer on my home machine and then just port forward 443 to my system, Then login from work (ie: https://home-ip-address:28080)?

Also, the SSL Tunnel seems a little confusing - ie: if i was to run VNC (as an example) i would create an SSL tunnel with the source port being 110 (would also have to port forward 110 to my systems ip at home?) and the destination port 5901 (untravnc default port), start the server at home with on port 5901 and then point my client at work to home-ip-addy:110?
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Feb 08 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Install SSL-Explorer at home and forward 443 on your router to your system. Then access from work on https://home-ip (no 28080 -- that's the configuration port not the access port).

The create an 'application' in SSL Explorer -- there's several to choose from including a VNC client. Then just specify the IP address of the VNC server (the private internal address not your internet IP) and run it.

If you want to use raw SSL tunnels, then you create with say a source of 5901 (rather than 110 as that's std for POP3 -- also no more forwarding required -- just port 443) and a destination of say 192.168.1.1:5901. Then once the tunnel is established you point your client at localhost:5901 (your work machine) and the agent picks it up, tunnels it to your home server, and makes the final connection to the home VNC server.

[Edited on 07-02-2008 by Tim]
Dom

7th Feb 08 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Tim, i'll see how i get on
Dom

8th Feb 08 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SSL-Explorer is brilliant - a little confusing at first but it works pretty well, especially the proxy part of SSL-Explorer. And being able to setup network shares is a top feature. It's a little slow though and i've noticed that with the server running it slows my connection down at home (when no ones using SSL-Explorer), but atleast it works.

Cheers Tim
pow
Premium Member

8th Feb 08 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes things clear, thanks Tim
Dom

8th Feb 08 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, it seems like a really good bit of kit at the moment - though im having troubles setting up the ultravnc application. it's starts the java SSL agent but then it comes up that the agent has failed

edit - perhapps my firewall on my system is blocking it, shame i couldn't tell

edit 2 - i know you have to create a key, but how secure is using SSL-Explorer?

[Edited on 08-02-2008 by Dom]
Dom

8th Feb 08 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorted the agent part - the SSL agent doesn't like opera, seems to work fine using IE.
Although i've set up my VNC server wrong and can't connect oh wells...

cheers again tim
Dom

11th Feb 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update - SSL Explorer is alright for the basic stuff, but a lot of the decent features (socks proxy, various extensions) are in the enterprise version which is £200
I've managed to get VNC working ok and the basic web proxy works ok (won't allow you to watch youtube vids, or post of myspace/facebook) but i've yet be able to get it to tunnel to a proxy (eg: CCProxy etc), which could potentionally sort out the problems i've said about the web redirect proxy SSL explorer has as standard.

cool program anyways

New Poll