corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Router just went bang - Need a new one - Suggestions?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Router just went bang - Need a new one - Suggestions?
drax

User status: Offline
8th Jan 08 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our trusty 3COM business router just went POW! Smells like it has burnt out, popped a capacitor or something.

Anyway, I need suggestions nothing to expensive but not any old shit, as we are currently having to use the shitty sky netgear "crash when you use me too much" router for now.

Needs to be able to cope with wireless over a fairly large house with good signal, and proven cooling would be an added bonus
James_DT

8th Jan 08 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you reflashed the Sky router with some normal Netgear firmware? We did with ours (as we're not on Sky anymore) and it's brilliant and isn't bothered with whatever you throw at it.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Jan 08 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I run Netgear stuff and it's not bad, been on for well over two years without a hitch.
drax

8th Jan 08 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found this one always locked up when using torrents!

I've not flashed it no, its just running the sky bits in there at the moment, but I dont trust the thing really, and I cant be without the net if (knowing my luck) theres a hicup with the flashing.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jan 08 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my netgear one kept fucking up swapped for a dlink mimo and its been perfect
James_DT

8th Jan 08 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drax
I found this one always locked up when using torrents!

I've not flashed it no, its just running the sky bits in there at the moment, but I dont trust the thing really, and I cant be without the net if (knowing my luck) theres a hicup with the flashing.

Mine locked up a couple of times when it got really hammered, but since it's been flashed it's been perfect with things like torrents running from multiple computers etc. Give it a shot, there's not really anything to go wrong unless the power dies during it. I used this guide IIRC.
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html

New Poll