corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » my first attempt at swirl mark removal/detail

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my first attempt at swirl mark removal/detail
Martin_C

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 08 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i started off with having to try and sort my mums new 3 series front bumper after someone decided to do this to it in a car park

just wanna say everything i done was with easily available products and equipment, no fancy detailing gear, i wanted to see how it'd go.

so i clayed the paint to remove any tar and as much of the white paint scuffs as i could. tried using some autoglym paint renovator by hand but to no avail, so used my silverline rotary and some 3m finnesse-it and a soft farecla pad and got all of it out except some scratches which were through the paint, touched them up as best i could, it'll do for now!

so i decided to do a test panel on my azure blue 350z, as the car is MAJORLY swirl marked, the previous owner obviously wasnt the best at looking after it. after megs clay and QD it looked like this. swirl heaven.

so again, using my silverline rotary and 3m finesse-it with a good mist of water on the panel i got it looking like this, but it still had some deeper scratches which i wasn't happy about.

so to try and get most of the deeper scratches out, i broke out the farecla G3 (don't all cringe at once!). plenty of misted water and a little G3, and light pressure as i knew 350z paint is patchy depth wise, and i was left with usual G3 marks, but less scratches.

once again, back over the panel with 3m finesse-it and a soft pad, plenty of misted water, made 2 passes with this and it started to come good.

apart from some very small but deep scratches which i didnt want to attempt to remove, it was swirl free and ten times better than at first!

finally i used autoglym extra gloss protection glaze, then some megs gold class paste wax, pretty pleased with the result.

feel like i'd got the hang of what to do now for the rest of the car, can't wait til i get the time to do it! if anyones got any comments, hints or tips then post away

Nick-S

3rd Jan 08 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shiny
Joe

3rd Jan 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good job mate, duno if i'd be as brave as you on my own car.
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd done finishing work after painting a friends car so i had the confidence to do it, i've done basic polishing with the rotary before, just never went to these lengths, very pleased
JonnyJ

3rd Jan 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
Good job mate, duno if i'd be as brave as you on my own car.
dean101287

3rd Jan 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you put the g3 on with the rotary then rub off by hand or buff with rotary?
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mist the panel with water, mist the mop on the rotary with water, and apply a small amount of g3 to the mop then dab it across the panel evenly, then buff with the rotary reapplying water when needed and keeping the rotary moving so it doesnt burn the paint.
Jon_C
Premium Member

3rd Jan 08 at 17:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brave man. Great job though. Better get on and do the rest.
big eck

3rd Jan 08 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lookin good martini

wanna do mine now
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
ajscorsa

3rd Jan 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please do my celica. ill get my dog to lick your balls
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll consider it if you lick them instead.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 08 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice job on both cars - BMW repair is particularly impressive.
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks ian
stan_the_man

3rd Jan 08 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Zymol
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always one.
stan_the_man

3rd Jan 08 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hehe.

Nah thats a top job there matey?

You gonna do the whole car then?

Rather you than me!!
Nismo

3rd Jan 08 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work, the S2 is swirl heaven but i dont have the facilitys to try to do anythign about it, no garage or anything to get it in to try this stuff out! plus i begrudge spending on car cleaning products
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i just decided to do a test panel to see how it all turned out, being my first time i wasn't sure whether i'd remove swirls or add more!

car's in garage until march, so plenty time to do it
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
good work, the S2 is swirl heaven but i dont have the facilitys to try to do anythign about it, no garage or anything to get it in to try this stuff out! plus i begrudge spending on car cleaning products

to be honest the stuff i used didnt cost much. ideally all you'd need is the 3m finnesse-it (1 litre, lasts ages, about a tenner iirc), autoglym glaze wasnt dear and the megs wax i've had about 4 years (yes i do use it!). the rest of the stuff i end up using it just general wash and dress stuff, nowt special
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jan 08 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good job on the 350z hard to judge the quality of the bmw repair without seeing it, most of it looks like paint marks left on there, but without actually seeing it, impossible to tell
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bumper was mainly paint and light scratches with a few deep ones which were right to the plastic. was just a quicky to tidy it up.

its marked in a way where unless it was pointed out to you, you wouldn't notice unless you were inspecting it closely.

my mum will just scrape another bit soon anyway
Nismo

3rd Jan 08 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Martin_C
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

to be honest the stuff i used didnt cost much. ideally all you'd need is the 3m finnesse-it (1 litre, lasts ages, about a tenner iirc), autoglym glaze wasnt dear and the megs wax i've had about 4 years (yes i do use it!). the rest of the stuff i end up using it just general wash and dress stuff, nowt special

Cool, i might give it a go when the weather starts picking up and the bank balance for that matter
Martin_C

3rd Jan 08 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just have no idea how you'd do it without a rotary polished or porter cable, rotary can be dangerous, porter cable is expensive
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Jan 08 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice job, my paintwork's terrible, you can see the swirls when it's cloudy

I'm too lazy to sort it tho, probably just end up getting it resprayed at some point

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » my first attempt at swirl mark removal/detail 22 database queries in 0.0272698 seconds