corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » 50% Share

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 50% Share
dannymccann

User status: Offline
13th Dec 07 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-17727791.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

The house in question as you can see is a 50% share. When I start working in a year or so's time I'm looking to mortgage around the newark area (obviously as long as I can get a job there, but its a nice central area for motorways and nipping home every now and then). Looking to spend around £80 - 90k and just had a quick search on rightmove but im unsure as to what this 50% business is.

50% will be mine obv but what happens with the other 50%? Estate agents own it? When you come to sell what happens? Worth it on a property like this, because with it being new should need minimal internal changes?

Cheers

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by dannymccann]
hack3tt

13th Dec 07 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other 50% is owned by the loacal housing authority!!!
Basically you own the 50% outright and then you can buy 10 or 25% shares as you can afford more until you own the entire property!!

When you come to sell you get a valuation and then you have have to give the authority first option to buy your share but if they decline you sell it as normal!! ONce you own 100% its is your home and sell as normal!!

Good sheme and means you can buy a good house now and then buy the other half when you can!!

speak to the local authroity and they will provide you details of some FA's in your area who are familar with the scheme!!
hack3tt

13th Dec 07 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am about to complete on a new build in the next few weeks on the same scheme in Coventry so if you need any more details jsut ask!!
Russ

13th Dec 07 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah basically, you mortgage half and rent half, the more you buy the less you rent
Robbo

13th Dec 07 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One word of warning though, these are classed as leasehold properties, not freehold... not a big deal but something to be aware of
DBenson

13th Dec 07 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C0rsa
The other 50% is owned by the loacal housing authority!!!
Basically you own the 50% outright and then you can buy 10 or 25% shares as you can afford more until you own the entire property!!

When you come to sell you get a valuation and then you have have to give the authority first option to buy your share but if they decline you sell it as normal!! ONce you own 100% its is your home and sell as normal!!

Good sheme and means you can buy a good house now and then buy the other half when you can!!

speak to the local authroity and they will provide you details of some FA's in your area who are familar with the scheme!!

Wow you're an easily excited kind of chappy aint ya with all your exclaimation marks there!!!!! haha.

On another note...
Aren't these properties only eligible for certain people ie: police, nhs staff, firemen, school teachers etc etc though?
hack3tt

13th Dec 07 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time i have really talked about the hosue!! so got a bit carried away.

There are certain restrictions on them but not by your job etc etc that was part of a seperate scheme.
You basically have to be a first time buyer nad "not be able to afford to buy on the open market". but that refers to the type of house.
I am buying a 205k house which i couldnt afford to buy so i qualify.

Basically, if you were considering this as an option you are more than likely going to qualify becasue you wouldnt do it if you could afford the house outright.

When you contact them they will make you fill in an application for the scheme and then give you a rating of 1-3. 1 being 1st choice.
We are level 3 so we wouldnt get it over someone with a 1 rating but wasnt a problem when we applied, We got the plot we wanted.
The bigger the house the fewer people on the scheme anyway so works in your favour!!

They will tell you all this when you contact them anyway!!! I only got in touch with them 8 weeks ago and now i am just waiting on solicitors to complete!!
Possibly next week but more likely first week in January!!
dannymccann

13th Dec 07 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all sounds quite good then, when you say mortgage half and rent half, for the example in my first post I would be paying near enough £600 a month mortgage (capital repayment) on that but then how much rent on top of that would it be?
hack3tt

13th Dec 07 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
all sounds quite good then, when you say mortgage half and rent half, for the example in my first post I would be paying near enough £600 a month mortgage (capital repayment) on that but then how much rent on top of that would it be?

The rent would be about £250 on a £90,000 share.
Then you have to pay Bldg Insurance to them as well as they insure the buildings on your behalf for £13.5 per month.

THis is all based on the development i am buying of course but would think it would be similar if not the same.
Dean_W

13th Dec 07 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

50% ownership is a good idea. One of the downfalls being that like my house, it has gained 20K in value over 3 years. I will only see 10K of this.

You need to be approved to buy it, as they are for people who don't earn a lot. Example, mine was earnign under combined £26K, which at the time I was.

You can't go knocking walls thorugh and what not, but you can pretty much do what you like.

My mortgage and rent equals around what the mortgage for 160K would be. But, I can't get a mortgage for that, so it's a good idea.

Rent depends on area and a few other factors. Most of the time they are on private estates aswell. So its all kept tidy.
dannymccann

13th Dec 07 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all this does sound promising, will definetly have to look into it more come nearer the time, thanks very much
Dean_W

13th Dec 07 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing is if you can't afford a ture 100% mortgage, you can at least put your money into something that gains money, unlike renting where all you do is pay off someone elses investment.
hack3tt

13th Dec 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_W
Another thing is if you can't afford a ture 100% mortgage, you can at least put your money into something that gains money, unlike renting where all you do is pay off someone elses investment.

Exactly my thought!

In your case, you may well have only made ahlf the 20k increase but at least you made that rather than nothing in rented accomodation!!

I was very sceptical when the missus' first mentioned it but after looking into it, seems like a great scheme.
Dean_W

13th Dec 07 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best bet is to go and see an independant mortgage advisor. Not one that works in an estate agents, coz there wank.

Independants will deal with nealry every company and give you the best deal. Also, some mortgage companies don't do shared ownership houses.

New Poll