corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Reverse lights curse.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reverse lights curse.
Hoddo

User status: Offline
1st Dec 07 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems my car has been cursed with the 'Reverse lights no longer working'

I've read around, just looking for fresh images and maybe a step by step fix?

my car is a Vauxhall Corsa 96 'N' 1.4i

any help will be appreciated. I was in a grid locked car park today and trying to reverse out without any reverse lights wasn't much fun at all.

also, being a car novice. how do I tighten my fan belt as it screams like a mother bitch when I first start up when im in lower gear going slow.

[Edited on 01-12-2007 by Hoddo]
Fro

1st Dec 07 at 02:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The quealing sounds more like the thrust bearing /release bearing in the clutch as there isn't a fan belt that im aware off.

The reverse lights is probab;y down to the switch in the top of the gearbox mate. Try a search on the site for reverse light switch and you should find details of how to do it
Hoddo

1st Dec 07 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
The quealing sounds more like the thrust bearing /release bearing in the clutch as there isn't a fan belt that im aware off.

The reverse lights is probab;y down to the switch in the top of the gearbox mate. Try a search on the site for reverse light switch and you should find details of how to do it

cheers for the heads up. what's the deal with the thrust bearing /release bearing? is it easy to remedy? when it starts to do it, if I rev the engine I can make it stop. its really loud outside the car, really embarrassing.

[Edited on 01-12-2007 by Hoddo]
dean101287

1st Dec 07 at 02:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there might not be a fan belt but there will be an alternator belt and that might be your noise.

[Edited on 01-12-2007 by dean101287]
Fro

1st Dec 07 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 2.0 is doing exactly the same i know how you feel

Hopefully someone is going to try and grease the release bearing tomorrow to see if it helps if not its a box off job to replace it i think. Pretty sure what i've said is right, im just trying to repeat what i was told yesterday
Adam-D

1st Dec 07 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reverse lights,.... on the front of the gear box is a 2 pin plug.
unbolt the swtich it pligs into, and et a new one.
ta daaa itll work
Hoddo

1st Dec 07 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah cheers. Im a bit stuck as regards to sorting both problems. I currently 200 miles from home at University, all my tools & scrap yards that im aware of are a bloody long way away. Being a student I cant really afford to visit a garage can I judging by what they usually charge?
mattk

1st Dec 07 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the screeching is the alternator belt, mine used to do it, you can tighten it but its a fairly easy job to just put a new one on, take it to a garage for what they will charge it isnt worth getting dirty, the belt is only about 3 quid

as Adam said the reverse light problem will deffo be the switch on the gearbox, again a piss easy fix,

Providing you have tools like
Hoddo

1st Dec 07 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
the screeching is the alternator belt, mine used to do it, you can tighten it but its a fairly easy job to just put a new one on, take it to a garage for what they will charge it isnt worth getting dirty, the belt is only about 3 quid

as Adam said the reverse light problem will deffo be the switch on the gearbox, again a piss easy fix,

Providing you have tools like

right okay, is it worth getting the garage to look at the reverse light switch, theres a knackered corsa on the drive of next door, the overall car is tatty unused an a shed for storage, maybe the engine bay is okay and maybe he'll let me have the switch. anyone got a pic of where it is in the bay?

New Poll