corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » running in an engine

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author running in an engine
GHurn

User status: Offline
5th Aug 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i mean older engines, 50.60.70's
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

5th Aug 07 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most motorsport companies use the hard and fast run in method, MT motorsport (a company I work with) uses the method in the link on their race engines, standard engines, engines in their new cars, engines they have rebuilt for themselfes for road use, their customers engines.... never use anything else.

personally I use a 50/50 method, run engines in hard initially to bed the rings in and Knock the peaks off the hone marks on the bores, change the oil and then drive normally but not too hard for another 500 miles, gradually building up load and rpm's. its the first 30 mins of running that is all important.
Scotty C

5th Aug 07 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did mine completly wrong then
caseboy

16th May 09 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i belive in this its ture in my job i am an agricltural mechanic an if cutomers treat ther new tractor easy for the firs 250 hours thin its gutless ,but if theythrash it its a lot more powerfull 10-15% this is on diesel engines but the theory is the same
BarnshaW

16th May 09 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thread digger lol
Tom G

16th May 09 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did he find this thread, been trawing throught the pages?? or the releated thread thing??
BarnshaW

16th May 09 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must have been the related thread thing i bet
Tom G

16th May 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was going to say this must b like 100 pages back
crazybrightman

16th May 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm a good old opinion thread.
well from my perspective if you have rebuilt an engine (ie not brand new) then theres only one part to run in the piston rings. all other components withing the engine shoudl be running on a film of oil so dont require running in!
the only expectption to this is if you have fitted new pistons or cams aswell but unlikely. therefore you want to bed the rings in as fast as possible do this by using lots of vacum and pressure, (engine braking and full throttle) but this wants to be at relatively mild revs. massive revs = increased piston speed and therefore too much friction and heat going into the rings.
all this should be on a running in or mineral oil for 100+ miles, normaly a good 500 but the first 100 are very important.
then change to synthetic and off you go.
a engine will take a few thousand miles to fully loosen up though from new, and with modern engineering tolernaces and improved material quality bedding in is not as essential as it used to be.

how ever thats all imho and everyone has a different theory on it. the safest bet is always to tell people to drive carefully.
Kurt

16th May 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure it would be run in by now
sand-eel

16th May 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well your fucked anyway if you buy a new car as it will have 20odd miles of driving out the factory and off and on car transporters which isn't full throttle in my book.
Kurt

16th May 09 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said that 2 years ago

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » running in an engine 22 database queries in 0.0137980 seconds