corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Exhaust rattling on rear beam.............

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Exhaust rattling on rear beam.............
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jul 07 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a magnex exhaust on my car and am lowered aprox 60mm. Its all fine until I get people in the back then the exhaust rattles like fuck on the rear beam
Is there anything that i can safely put around the exhaust over the beam to stop the rattle as i belive they are only touching very slightly

Thanks Gavin

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
paul.mitchell1984

29th Jul 07 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a suggetion not tried it but may work, fasten some rubber to beam such as bike tyre inner tube, should melt i dont think unless its touching all time,would still bang a bit i rekon but doubt it would be asbad, or could the exhaust be moved slightly?
gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried moving the exhuast and it is in the best position already

I thought it may be better to get something to go around the exhaust that is heat proof rather the the rear beam as it has the hand brake cable running along it etc and I didnt want to interfer with it

thegsi

29th Jul 07 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem as mine is 90mm and it rattled constantly. i just had some custom u brackets and mounted the exhaust higher into the car. if not, as paul sed cable tie an exhaust rubber to wherever its rattling.
gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rubber will be ok then, wont get too hot?

SHARPY

29th Jul 07 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have this, very annoying!!

read about a few people taking the car to quick fit etc and having the bend in the exhaust over the beam bent more to clear
andys sxi
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u moved the bracket that hold it on to the centre section thats what used to rattle on mine till i moved it and its fine now

April 08 feature car
Gaz

29th Jul 07 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the rear seats out?
StrawsSXi

29th Jul 07 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem. go down to halfrauds (halfords) and buy some rubber exhaust straps (they are long flat strips of rubber with 3 holes in them) i cable tied them around the back beam, stopped the knocking and rattling.
mattk

29th Jul 07 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cable tied a bit of carpet around my rear beam, just put it under the hanbrake cable, I did it was fine
gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by StrawsSXi
i had this problem. go down to halfrauds (halfords) and buy some rubber exhaust straps (they are long flat strips of rubber with 3 holes in them) i cable tied them around the back beam, stopped the knocking and rattling.

Il do this then as it sounds like the stuff i need

There is no bracket there as the magnex systems join further up near the central silencer

Rob_Lee
Banned

29th Jul 07 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was gonna say on my mates one we cable tied an old exhaust rubber to the beam

Worked a treat!
gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got cable ties in many locations already so i may as well add to them

Jake

29th Jul 07 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd use metal cable ties
sam13

29th Jul 07 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fit new exhaust rubbers so it doesnt sag as much and hold it tighter then use one of your old ones over the beam as they are quite big.
gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
i'd use metal cable ties

Yer ive got some of these, might combine these with the old moutain bike handle bar grip on my desk, if i slice this down the middle it should go other the rear beam nicely and avoid the handbrake cable

gavin18787
Premium Member

30th Jul 07 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right my plan didnt work

Tried to pop with over the rear beam where its knocking

However as you can see in this pic that cant be done due to the handbrake cable

Also from the looks of the mark on the exhaust its the cable thats making the rattle. So I think i need to put something on the exhaust rather then the beam. How hot does the ehaust get as I need something to put on there, would those strips suggested be ok?

Toby
Premium Member

30th Jul 07 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tried alsorts on the rear beam and couldnt get the exhasut any higher, so temp measue until my brackets came i got a bike cable and drilled into the heat protector at the top threaded it rhough and lifted the exhaust up, at the time it was strong, wouldnt melt and was fixing the problem instead of disguising it, it doesnt look prtty but it held well and gave me a inch of clearence even with 4 up
gavin18787
Premium Member

30th Jul 07 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only problem is with the magnex one ive got the join is further up and there is no flex in it at all so cant be moved

gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Aug 07 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right ive solved the rattle. I went to the local motor factors and got a rubber strap thats designed to hold exhausts and a couple of hose clips and strapped it to the pipe.

My old worry is that there is now even less clearance between the pipe and the hand brake cable now. How close is everyone elses?

Ste L

4th Aug 07 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just adjust the exhaust to sit better..

got a magnex on mine, dropped 90mm, and can have a full car, and it never rattles on the beam
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Aug 07 at 01:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how have you adjusted it? i cant see how i can get it to sit any better then it already is

mattk

5th Aug 07 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just pull the handbrak cable up and put the rubber underneath, let the handbrake cable sit ontop of the rubber, it will be fine
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Aug 07 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer but I belive it is the cable that is creating the noise

Toby
Premium Member

5th Aug 07 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Yer but I belive it is the cable that is creating the noise

the noise will be the exhaust hitting the rear beam, not the handbrake cable, if it was the rear wheels would lock up at slower speeds over big bumps

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll