corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » can anyone help, suspension/exhaust problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author can anyone help, suspension/exhaust problem
DarrenGSi

User status: Offline
   29th Sep 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when car has a heavy load there is a knocking sound coming from the rear of the exhaust. i think it maybe rubbing the rear axle when iv got passengers in the back ( no posts telling me to take the rear seats out please lol)

when the car is empty and im looking underneath, there still seems to be a lot of space between the exhaust and the beam so im wondering if the rear springs needs replaced or something.

However, this only started happening when i got a sports cat and stainless steel downpipe which makes me think that the exhaust isnt sitting right but then again it should still make the noise even if there isnt a heavy load.

The noise seems to be worse when going up hill too which i beleive is just because there is more load on the back.

Any help would be great people.

Cheers
Darren
3CorsaMeal

29th Sep 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check that exhaust or any part of the metal brackets that it hangs off aren't touching inner skin of rear bumper,

system may right be sitting far enough up the car if you know what i mean

[Edited on 29-09-2005 by 3CorsaMeal]
DarrenGSi

29th Sep 05 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what i can see or feel i think its sitting correctly, i would say if anything its sitting closer to the front but not by much if at all. im just thinking about the rear suspension but how do i tell? cant be arsed taking it to a garage.
mwg

29th Sep 05 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine does this and always has done it ever since I lowered it. Everytime I have passengers in the back it rattles on the rear beam. Was fine before it got lowered
DarrenGSi

29th Sep 05 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines is lowered 40mm on Koni adjustables but my brother done this when he had the car roughly 5 years ago so im wondering if there just worn and need new stronger ones?
16vOllie

29th Sep 05 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most of the tiome its the u b racket that holds on the backbox. it can be re-possitioned / ground down to stop this.... is a b**ted i drove from eastbourne to canterbury and back last nite [about 140 miles] with it clonking does me in!!!!! sorting it this weekend hopfully if i get time...

ollie
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Sep 05 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the exhaust banging on the rear beam. Think you can get the pipe bent to cure it though!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Sep 05 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh - Mine came off the rubbers last nite. It's really good. 20 miles with the exhaust sat on the rear beam Donk Donk Donk Donk Donk!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
dna23

29th Sep 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a band type clamp instead it's not this but same principle:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGB-exhaust-clamp_W0QQitemZ4577369399QQcategoryZ27380QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

most auto shops have them instead of the big thick round ones, you'll get about 5mm more clearance which shud be enough
mwg

29th Sep 05 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is literally the exhaust pipe touching the rear beam, dont have the problem with the exhaust clamp. I need to get a custom exhaust made that wont touch the beam when I have people in the back

[Edited on 29-09-2005 by Matty G]
Neshol

29th Sep 05 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap solution: fix some rubber on rear beam where the exhaust is to deaden the sound
Dan Lewis

29th Sep 05 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was doing this and i found out it was the exhaust hitting the back of my car under my bumper. so the angle grinder came out, and no more banging

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » can anyone help, suspension/exhaust problem 24 database queries in 0.0098538 seconds