corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help me make my head unit work without the engine running...............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help me make my head unit work without the engine running...............
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jul 07 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installed my new headunit today and i cant get it to work without the engine running. I solved the problem on my old headunit by putting the fuse in its other position but this one only has one place for the fuse.

I also swapped the red and yellow wires as shown but that hasent worked either

Please help

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
pow
Premium Member

25th Jul 07 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to connect both the yellow and red wires to the red wire Means the headunit has always got a live feed!
Richie

26th Jul 07 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this a corsa? Sounds like a blown fuse in the fusebox for the permanent live.
gavin18787
Premium Member

26th Jul 07 at 06:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
Is this a corsa? Sounds like a blown fuse in the fusebox for the permanent live.

This may explain why key has to be turned all the way round for anything to happen, any idea which fuse this is mate?

gavin18787
Premium Member

26th Jul 07 at 06:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and yer its a corsa

pow
Premium Member

26th Jul 07 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you want the headunit to work with the key out of the ignition, yes?
pow
Premium Member

26th Jul 07 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If so, this is what you need to do:

Richie

26th Jul 07 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow...... that would still only work when the ignition is on.

The problem is with his permanent live... its totally dead

Your settings shouldnt be saving either if im correct?

Does you interior light work ok?
gavin18787
Premium Member

26th Jul 07 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interior light is fine and i belive it is storing the settings ok as it was still tuned to radio one when i got in it today.

Also With my old headunit (a JVC one) it had two positions for the fuse. I had the same problem until I swtiched the fuse to the other position. So some form of perminant live must be operational
What ever moving the fuse changes is what i need to change, however it wasnt ideal as the headunit was always live until you switched it off (bad if you forget )

gavin18787
Premium Member

27th Jul 07 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to try the wiring as suggested to see if i can get it constantly live and manually switch it on and off. As i think the problem may lie with the swtich on the ignition as nothing seems to happen when it is turned the first click. Is there anyway i can test it?

gavin18787
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If so, this is what you need to do:

Been out and tried this, not anygood as it makes all of the lights come on on the dash and fan run etc even when the key isnt in the ignition

I tried to use this to find which wire has the perminant live. Couldnt find any at all but im not 100% sure if i was using it correctly as there are lots of switches and symbals

Any help would be apriciated as i want to get this solved this weekend

[Edited on 28-07-2007 by gavin18787]

Vaux Lad

28th Jul 07 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn the multimeter dial to V, 20.(3 turns left from where it is atm)
Then one probe to the wire you want to check for volts, the other to an earth(door striker or somewhere)
gavin18787
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vaux Lad
Turn the multimeter dial to V, 20.(3 turns left from where it is atm)
Then one probe to the wire you want to check for volts, the other to an earth(door striker or somewhere)

Cheers dude

gavin18787
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slight update, ive managed to get the unit to save its settings by swapping over the red and yellow wires.
So if its saving settings surly this means there must be a constant live

So its leading me to belive its the accesory switch on the ignition and the remote wire that may be the problem.......

pow
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the constant live is a problem, feed one from the battery with an inline fuse rated slightly higher than the one in the back of the headunit.

If the ignition live is a problem, the ciggy lighter is a lgnition live. Im sorry, Ive lost what your trying to do now

[Edited on 28-07-2007 by pow]
dan_c4rsa

28th Jul 07 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to jack the thread, but mine's always on standby, only way i can turn it totally off is by removing the face. how do i sort this?
gavin18787
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If the constant live is a problem, feed one from the battery with an inline fuse rated slightly higher than the one in the back of the headunit.

If the ignition live is a problem, the ciggy lighter is a lgnition live. Im sorry, Ive lost what your trying to do now

[Edited on 28-07-2007 by pow]

I tried taking a live from my power cable that goes to my amp. This made the headunit come on but also all the dash lights and fan etc

I think something is fucked with the cars wiring................

Basically i want my headunit so that i can listen to it without the engine running

Richie

28th Jul 07 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This could still be a fuse.... but the more common problem is the ignition barrel contacts going wrong.

If you swapped the yellow and red wires round and it saves the setting...... just run a wire between those two wires and it will all work fine
Richie

28th Jul 07 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And by that i mean

gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 03:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I have tried already rich but it makes all the dash lights come on and the fan etc as well the whole time

gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right sorted didnt relise you had to leave the yellow wire unconnected once you bridge the others

So with it like this it works although i have to manually swtich it on and off so im going to look into what is wrong with the accesory position on my ignition anyway

Unless the front pannel is removed it stays in standby mode so i am going to put a switch in the live wire and put it in the ashtray so it can be fully switched off

Anyway job done for the moment thanks guys

[Edited on 29-07-2007 by gavin18787]

Richie

30th Jul 07 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the rest of the car turns on then you got some botched wiring in that car fella

New Poll