corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » 3rd pond project!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3rd pond project!
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
13th Jun 07 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done my sister's, and my own, now my mum's garden is the next project. Started doing some design sketches today and making lists of things to buy etc...
Firstly, this is how it looks now, and the hosepipe round the edge is where Id like the new pond to go.

I was thinking about hiding the filter away on the right hand side by the greenhouse, and have the waterfall on the indented part to the left.

The mound of earth there now I would flatten, and have a waterfall something on the lines of this one that I found pictures of on the internet...

[Edited on 13-06-2007 by drunkenfool]
drunkenfool

13th Jun 07 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS that's not all of her garden, its just round the back of the house, prob about 1/3 of total size, so its not like hte pond will be taking up 80% of her garden
Marc

13th Jun 07 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsasports very own Charlie Dimmuck!!
mav

13th Jun 07 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks
drunkenfool

14th Jun 07 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a ton of sand, a skip, and a mini excavator coming tomorrow! Got the stone for the pond edging, and a paddling pool which ive filled up and gonna put the fish in later. Also found a place to get the big rocks for doing waterfall, should be able to make a good start on it tomorrow
paul.mitchell1984

14th Jun 07 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunken fool what do you do for a living?
Cosmo

14th Jun 07 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by paul.mitchell1984

pond building.
drunkenfool

14th Jun 07 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by paul.mitchell1984

pond building.

Student at the moment doing a Spanish degree. Random I know!

Just called it a day, gotta wait for materials and tools to come tomorrow. Ive got the fish in the paddling pool with the pump and filter running, and removed the old rigid pond liner from the ground which wasa bit of a mission on my own! No photos today cos the camera on my phone isnt working, should be fixed tomorrow tho
drunkenfool

16th Jun 07 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liner removed

Fish in temporary home

Large skip delivered in the morning

Mini excavator (great fun )

Large skip pretty much full by the evening, not bad for one days work on my own
drunkenfool

16th Jun 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the depth and the shape about right now.

Plan for tomorrow is to make the concrete collar around the lip of the pond for the flagstones to go on, smooth down the edges of the pond and get the shape spot on, and use the digger to remove the earth that falls in when sorting out the sides before it has to go back on monday morning. Been hard today trying to work inbetween torrential downpours, the garden is like a marsh
GT4Brody

18th Jun 07 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice, coming on well, amazing how much easier it using a mini digger to a shovel
I am planning on building a pond after my wedding, still cant decide weather to do raised or level and weather to have koi or not!
well be keeping an eye on this post...
drunkenfool

18th Jun 07 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dug a trench around the perimeter of the pond to pour the concrete into.

Made the collar, got the sides of the pond the right shape, made two shelves (one either side of where the waterfall is gonna go) and raked the bottom to make a nice sweeping curve towards the deepest part where the water will be taken from.

Just ordered the hose, airline, flanged tank connector (to send the hose out through the liner under the waterline so it wont be on show ) and pipework fittings etc. Bidding on a liner on ebay at the moment, im getting it far too big with the intention of tucking the excess away, giving me the option to build up from the ground level in the future to make it bigger if my mum has my koi off me when i move to spain permanently in a few years. Im back home now in aber for a few days, i will prob go back to Hereford next monday to do some more work on it
C2RL R

18th Jun 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we had one of them mini diggers last year.....they are well worth the money, good fun too.
looking good so far, keep up the good work!
Rus

19th Jun 07 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool

pff. you should be hardcore and get a shovel

its looking really good so far. be interesting to see how it turns out
drunkenfool

19th Jun 07 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no way I coulda dug out one and a half large skips of wet and compressed )from being under the old pond) earth on my own in a weekend Plus the digger was a lot more fun The bits have started to arrive in the post now that i need to finish it off, i will be going back to hereford on monday or tuesday next week to finish it.
Cosmo

19th Jun 07 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wanna be careful digging that deep with that little thing...very easy for them to flip over!!
Brett
Premium Member

19th Jun 07 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
you wanna be careful digging that deep with that little thing...very easy for them to flip over!!

In that case....all this should be documented on video!

Nice work
drunkenfool

10th Jul 07 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads more progress now but i forgot the data cable for my phone, got no memory card, and web upload isnt working for some reason so ill have to upload them on thurs or fri.
Got the liner in, filled with water and the fish back in there. Filter system all plumbed in, pumped outlet goes through the liner under the waterline so is hidden, filtered return also hidden underground and comes out in the bottom of the waterfall, so nothing at all is visible. Armoured electric cable running underground to the greenhouse, with 6 switch junction box on the wall running pump, 25w uv clarifier, 55lph air pump for the filter, 200lph air pump for the bottom drain, 3 underwater LED spotlights, and a set of 5 outdoor lights for the whole area.
I still got to finish off the crazy paving style edging round the pond but ive done 2/3 of it, also made a start on putting the boulders in the right place for the waterfall, its like a 3d jigsaw puzzle though whose pieces weigh a fucking ton
Ive also levelled off the area as best I can, got half a ton of top soil coming tomorrow to finish it off, and 1.5 tons of "green slate" chipings to cover the whole area. Cant wait till its finished now, but im going back to uni on thurs whether its finished or not cos some of my mates are coming back for graduation week. Ill get pics up asap, but so far im really pleased, its such an improvement on how it was before!
drunkenfool

10th Jul 07 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to sort out the web upload off the phone

Hole sorted

This is how the bottom of the pond was after pumping out as much water I could after all the rain we had.

Pipework buried underground, with a flange connector to seal the hole around the pipe so it doesnt leak.

Sand lining the pond

Liner in

Pretty much full, and laying out the edging so they fit together nicely

Filter, air pump, electrics etc in the greenhouse. I assumed this would encourage my mum to look after the pond a bit more cos she wont have the excuse of the rain to stop her cleaning out the filter

We only have 2 koi in this pond, the rest are goldfish, shibunkins etc (the koi are all at my pond in aber). Im gonna get a few more for it to enjpy seeing them grow, but these are the two in there at the moment.

This is how its looking at the moment, you can see the boulders for the waterfall up the opposite side Still got a fair bit of work to do, but its coming on well! Cant wait to get the stone chips down and get it looking less like a building site and more like a garden
Superlite Ltd.

10th Jul 07 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flange....

Rus

11th Jul 07 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks excellent
a_j_mair

11th Jul 07 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks really good, id be worried about having it filled up befor completely finished though as surely dont want any crap falling in when still working, cement/tools etc
drunkenfool

11th Jul 07 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
looks really good, id be worried about having it filled up befor completely finished though as surely dont want any crap falling in when still working, cement/tools etc

Aye im just having to be careful. I had to fill it with water to get the liner settled in before doing the edging, also had to get the new filter matured so I put a few fish in there and nicked the pump from the paddling pool to get it all set up and running. To be fair I should have waiteda bit longer but i was impatient
a_j_mair

11th Jul 07 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunkenfool

13th Jul 07 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

built up the stone wall

Levelled off the garden with 3/4 of a ton of top soil

and put done some stone chippings...

Thats how its looking now, im back home in aber again so its gonna be like that for a few weeks till i got time to go back and finish it, but overall im really pleased!

Bit better than how it started!

[Edited on 13-07-2007 by drunkenfool]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll