corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Buying to let

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying to let
Andrew

User status: Offline
17th May 07 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my mate are looking at buying a flat near ours. Can pretty much see it from my mates bedroom so pretty secure etc It's on the market for £26,000 but feel we could get it for that including fees. It's in a block of 5 flats, not somewhere i would personally wanna live but cheap and a good investment. Plus it's tiny like.

If we rent it do u need to pay some fees? i.e. does the tax man take money etc.

I could borrow the my part of the money within days just wacking credit cards to the limit and overdrafts. Got a bit saved too. All something needing to be thought through!
Colin

17th May 07 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Borrow £13k on cards & overdraft You sure this is properly thought out?? What sort of rental income wil you see once halfed & tax declared etc???
Colin

17th May 07 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To answer the questions you only have a fee if you rent it out through an agent, unless you have someone in mind to rent it to. Tax man will take his share on whatever profit there is once the rents paid. Treated as income tax so 20% or whatever. Unless you pump the profit back into the property.

Also bit cheap at £26k, mine was cheap 2 years ago but it needed thousands put into it && mnonths hard work by myself! Is this walk in/rent out condition or wil it need money/time put into it??
James

17th May 07 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS £26k, I'm not exagerrating when I say you can't buy mobile homes for that around here
Kathryn W

18th May 07 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well Andrew lives in one of the roughest parts of Liverpool

Andrew thing of the reasons to why its so cheap.. what kind of person would wanna live there etc? How long it been for sale? Has it seen any interest?
Ally

18th May 07 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly, if its a flat in a shite area then number one the people in the area are probably council and wont be able to afford renting, or you could go down the DSS route and have it rented via the council but thats not personally somthing i would do.

shite area, council majority, small tiny flat means its less desirable.

Not worth it imo unless its bought, rennovated for decent profit or bought for pittance with scope to rent and make a good amount each month to justify having it
Andrew

19th May 07 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn W

Bit like you I had to move my car the other day cos loads of skallys in your street were heading towards my car

The flat needs some work, probably a few thousands worth. But still a good investment if we can get the funds together. Might even buy to sell on once work is completed.
Colin

19th May 07 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got to question how much profit will be in a 1 bed flat costing £24k, needing work done (Doing yourself I gather??) once all the upgrading/decorating works paid off, solicitors fee's etc etc are paid!! You might get a couple grand.....split between both of you. I cant see it being big money though!
Andrew

19th May 07 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye!

We need to find out more details and do some sums.
Kathryn W

19th May 07 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn W

Bit like you I had to move my car the other day cos loads of skallys in your street were heading towards my car

The flat needs some work, probably a few thousands worth. But still a good investment if we can get the funds together. Might even buy to sell on once work is completed.

Well i'd except a load to seen aso I live a minute walk from the town centre.. if that

Your car would only get egg'd or reversed into from the neighbour over the road
Kerry

20th May 07 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ideal opportunity to get a buy to let mortgage and get yourself on the property ladder!!!

then if the value increases in time you can remortgage and release some equity to either get another one or put deposit on your own place

New Poll