corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying Cat C and D Repairs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying Cat C and D Repairs
Reedy

User status: Offline
26th Apr 07 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im tempted for the summer to buy a cat D (maybe a c if its silly cheap ) and then repair it and use it for a run around or sell it onto a friend.

I was looking at BMW's, A3's, even a toyota MR2.

I know that if you sell a car privately you dont actually have to tell the buyer that its a cat damaged car ( i would feel abit guilty tho ). Although i have mates who want certain cars that ive seen for cat d that wouldnt be too hard to repair and sell to them.

Should i do it?
Fro

26th Apr 07 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could do but if you run the risk of not telling them and its was recorded it will show up if they do a HPi check and I can't imagine them being too happy if they find out that way.

Do it by all means but tell them that it was damaged but has been repaired to a high standard etc etc

Just so that you are covering your back and not misleading anybody

[Edited on 26-04-2007 by fro-dizzle]
JM_16v

26th Apr 07 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

makes insurance higher and if there cat d dont they ahev to be inspected and said to be road worthy?
p4uls corsa

26th Apr 07 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
makes insurance higher and if there cat d dont they ahev to be inspected and said to be road worthy?

it dont make insurance higher and they dont need inspecting on cat d
Fro

26th Apr 07 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p4uls corsa
quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v

it dont make insurance higher and they dont need inspecting on cat d

I believe Paul is correct Only Cat C's need a VIC check IIRC
abdus

26th Apr 07 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, cat c need a VIC check and sometimes insurance ask for an engineer's report.
Sidesport

26th Apr 07 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it, as long as it repaired properly and checked out well i dont see a problem with it!

Best to be honest when selling it though!

Where do VIC checks get done? Same time as an MOT?

Chris
grogan

26th Apr 07 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your getting something specific to sell onto a mate, tell him he can keep popping round and seeing the work you are putting into it, that way he knows its been done properly!
Steve
Premium Member

26th Apr 07 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it doesn't make insurance higher, but insurance will ask for engineers report when it was fixed, if you dont have this an inspection is required for any Cat including D
Reedy

26th Apr 07 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
no it doesn't make insurance higher, but insurance will ask for engineers report when it was fixed, if you dont have this an inspection is required for any Cat including D

inspection by who? does the insurance company send someone round and also do they charge you for it?
Steve
Premium Member

26th Apr 07 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally an inspection by an mot place is sufficient, some insurance are funny though and demand an engineers report
Steve
Premium Member

26th Apr 07 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can always not tell them but they will use it as an excuse to not pay out
Reedy

26th Apr 07 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
normally an inspection by an mot place is sufficient, some insurance are funny though and demand an engineers report

ah right.

cheers for the info matey
STEvieXE

26th Apr 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive looked into this a few times and if ur buying from salvage yards (in n.ireland anyway) the cost of buying it and fixing it, doing the work my self (panel beater by trade) and using 2nd hand parts where possible and having to pay someone to paint it (mates rates all the same). its pretty much ends up the cost of just buying a straight one. thats fixed properly btw, no bodges..

best bet for that imo is buying the car ur mate owned and crashed etc.. salvage yards are just too expensive..

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying Cat C and D Repairs 23 database queries in 0.0133839 seconds