corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boris Johnson makes an excellent point about the G-Wiz electric car

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boris Johnson makes an excellent point about the G-Wiz electric car
nova_gteuk

User status: Offline
16th May 07 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by nova_gteuk
I just dont see how their green,instead of car emissions,they burn more at a power station,pointless if u ask me..
Good job no one asked you then seeing as y ou have just based that statement on, well, nothing scientific.

to make electric they burn fossil fuels,whick make greenhouse gases,so instead of a car burning fossil fuels they have now made one that is powered by electric which in turn is powered by fossil fuels...so they still havent solved the problem,just made it diffrent..the more people who buy thesse cars means the more fossil fuels being burned hence making the situation the same as before...

and they have made cars that can run on air,water, and other reneweable clean sources,instead of wasting money on reasearch of electric cars why not research other possibilites,we all know why,because the goverment cant tax..
Paul_J

16th May 07 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You guys are muppets!

Even if it's more efficent to burn fossil fuels (generate from wind power yeh right) to make electricty, and use it in cars, than straight petrollium based engines... IT's still polluting and IT's still not solving the problem of a limited supply of fuel to generate this power from!

Plus IF EVERYONE had it, we would struggle to produce enough electricity! We already get power cuts in winter from all the lights / heaters! No way it could cope with 10 million electric cars each night!
Wonderboy

16th May 07 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting read there, but what's to stop some 'ned' or 'chav' Unplugging the power cable, you wake up in the morning with a flat battery.

Obviously, there is some soft of measure to stop this from happening; key or something.

In reply to the Paul_J, saying that you have to burn fossil fuels to generate electricity. That's not true. They're many different ways to generate electricity other than burning fossil fuels; wind power, solar power, hyrdo etc...
Paul_J

16th May 07 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but these idea's are supposed to be our saving solution... i.e. EVERYONE change to driving car's like the G-Wizz.

If EVERYONE was driving G-Wizzes, We simply could not produce enough power with 'wind', 'solar', 'hydro'.

Those 3 are about good enough to power a few lights in a village, not charge up millions of cars a night!

It's just government spin - if they are seen as being green they'll get browny points. Plus if everyone drove g-wizzes everything that they're currently exempt for (i.e. congestion charge etc) would be re issued.

Open your eyes people, think long term.

[Edited on 16-05-2007 by Paul_J]
ed

16th May 07 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it this way. A combined cycle gas power plant is about 85% efficient. A diesel engine is 45% efficient, and a petrol engine is about 30% efficient. Therefore generating more electricity and using new technology for electrical powered cars is the future.
Wonderboy

16th May 07 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you're getting at, but I think they would find away around it, anyway, not everyone drives a car, and no everyone is going to be driving an electric car.

It's not going to become compulsory to drive an electric car any time soon, and even when it does, normal petrol/diesel engined cars will still be around.

Not having to pay parking tickets etc... is a plus, but I agree, that the more people that start to use these cars, the more likely it is that the Government would introduce something to stop this.
ed

16th May 07 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Within 10 years the cost of the technology for electrical powere cars will have come down so much and be so much more refined that there will be a lot more electric cehicles on the road. The other main alternative will be bio diesel. The cost of mineral fuels will be about £2-3/litre and nobody will use them.
Paul_J

17th May 07 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Put it this way. A combined cycle gas power plant is about 85% efficient. A diesel engine is 45% efficient, and a petrol engine is about 30% efficient. Therefore generating more electricity and using new technology for electrical powered cars is the future.

Yeh, but currently our infastructure could not provide enough power to charge all those cars and in my opinion it's not a solution - it's just a delay factor. So I wouldn't call it 'Green' - neither would I call Biofuels 'Green'. I only call things 'Green' when they do not pollute or cause pollution through allowing them to function. For example a solar panel, powering a single bulb is green. A bio car burning bio ethanol is not green, a electric car, using electricity created from burning fossil fuels is not green.

If everyone starts driving electric cars, there's only one solution they will have - Bring back the nuclear power stations and lots of them.

What people arn't thinking is that every night, while your asleep (a time where usually little amount of power would be consumed) - millions of electric cars will be hooked up the mains sucking a lot of power.

This power will have to come from somewhere and our current infrastructure could not provide this. So we'd need more power stations, burning more fossil fuels, it is not a solution to the problem.

Not that I think Co2 is causing global warning anyway. I think the world's temperatures fluctuate regardless... In roman times people had grape vines in london, the temperature was far higher than now, but did they have cars? nope. Did the temperature fall again naturally? yup.

The problem we need to solve is what we do when we run out of fossil fuels (which is where bio fuels could come in handy, though we won't be able to grow enough, fast enough to sustain our world) - None of this electric car rubbish.

Electric cars will only be a solution when they have magical power sources not requiring a big power station to produce it.
Carl

17th May 07 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do they not look more into using sunflower oil etc like some people do on diesels. Wouldn't that be more eco friendly?
ssj_kakarot

17th May 07 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but what are the chances of every one buying a g-wizz at the same time, its a situation which just isnt going to happen so why see it as a problem.

As electric cars become more afordable and more people buy into it, then obviously new power sources are going to be needed, which will most likely be nuclear power (which i have no problem with).

Every one will not buy an electric car at the same time, so there will be no problems obviously.

And yes the g-wizz is just the same as the hundreds of thousands of people on motorbikes or mopeds, just the goverment crying as they are not getting taxes ect.
ssj_kakarot

17th May 07 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And people are talking like they know how much power the things use to recharge ect when no one really has key information such as power usuage ect, its all just guess work.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boris Johnson makes an excellent point about the G-Wiz electric car 22 database queries in 0.0106220 seconds